PDA

View Full Version : Conquered Agoraphobia

Edward_1980
28-09-12, 18:23
Hiya guys,

I just want to let people know that I have conquered my Agoraphobia after being housebound for the best part of a year. I was so bad that I had to have every door locked and all the blinds closed every day. If I stepped outside to water the plants I would be a panic attack and going weak in the legs due to the anxiety. I took small steps first. I water the plants in the garden (I did this at 2am in the morning because I knew there would be no one around. The next step I took was conquering my enormous fair of the local shop. I had a panic attack in there when I was queuing in line. I went weak in the legs and started to hyperventilate and ran out. That shop was a trigger for me, but I went back in there with fear in my mind and I realized that nothing was going to happen. It was a success for me and I was proud of myself. I now go shopping, to the cinema and dining out without feeling anxiety and panic. I no longer keep the doors locked and the blinds closed. I just want to say that I understand what it's like to be Agoraphobic and I want to tell everyone that you can beat it.

CrimsonKiss
28-09-12, 18:35
Well done! :)

Edward_1980
28-09-12, 18:36
Thanks CrimsonKiss :-)

Anxious_gal
28-09-12, 18:38
Oh wow the cinema too?
Very happy for you :) well done x

Edward_1980
28-09-12, 18:46
Thanks Anxious Girl. It took a very long time. The way I posted it you'd swear that I went into Spar and then suddenly I was cured. I took baby steps. I can still get anxious in crowded places and lose my balance with panic, but I feel the fear and do it anyway. It's so much better today. Of course I'm anxious, but I need to face that.

xiand2
28-09-12, 20:36
Can you please tell us exactly what you did to overcome your Agoraphobia?

Edward_1980
29-09-12, 15:07
Hiya guys,

It was a long and hard road for me. I stayed inside for the best part of twelve months because going outside make me want to collapse with panic and fear.
First of all you need to be really determined to beat this thing. Start with small steps. Don't just say "OK, I'm going to a shopping mall today no matter what I do". You need to start small like going out into the garden and hanging washing for example. This is what I did. I was terrified when I started with the garden and I did think "I can't do this". I didn't win the first time around. But I DID get there. I soon felt comfortable in the garden and eventually went on to go to the local shop which terrified me since I had an attack in there. Of course it was horrible going in there, but as the book says, "Feel the fear and do it anyway". It was hard for me, but I didn't give up and I stayed in there while being filled with panic and dread. Nothing happened to me in there and I said to myself "Ok, nothing happened in here". I kept going back there and it got easier as the trips went by.
I have to say that the first time I faced a shopping mall after 10 months I was weak with dread. From the minute I stepped in there my vision went blurry, my legs week and I was convinced I was going to pass out. I was very paranoid and kept looking at other people thinking they were after me and that they were all laughing. I wanted to run out and back to the safety of the car, but my boyfriend told me to stay and face it. Again, despite my fears, panic and paranoia, nothing happened.
The thing to remember here is that no matter what horrible scenario is playing full force in your head, just feel the fear and do it anyway. I hope this little story can give someone else suffering from Agoraphobia a little help.

fozzy is crying
29-09-12, 15:13
Hiya guys,

It was a long and hard road for me. I stayed inside for the best part of twelve months because going outside make me want to collapse with panic and fear.
First of all you need to be really determined to beat this thing. Start with small steps. Don't just say "OK, I'm going to a shopping mall today no matter what I do". You need to start small like going out into the garden and hanging washing for example. This is what I did. I was terrified when I started with the garden and I did think "I can't do this". I didn't win the first time around. But I DID get there. I soon felt comfortable in the garden and eventually went on to go to the local shop which terrified me since I had an attack in there. Of course it was horrible going in there, but as the book says, "Feel the fear and do it anyway". It was hard for me, but I didn't give up and I stayed in there while being filled with panic and dread. Nothing happened to me in there and I said to myself "Ok, nothing happened in here". I kept going back there and it got easier as the trips went by.
I have to say that the first time I faced a shopping mall after 10 months I was weak with dread. From the minute I stepped in there my vision went blurry, my legs week and I was convinced I was going to pass out. I was very paranoid and kept looking at other people thinking they were after me and that they were all laughing. I wanted to run out and back to the safety of the car, but my boyfriend told me to stay and face it. Again, despite my fears, panic and paranoia, nothing happened.
The thing to remember here is that no matter what horrible scenario is playing full force in your head, just feel the fear and do it anyway. I hope this little story can give someone else suffering from Agoraphobia a little help.

Hi Edward,

I was sorry to see you were going back into hospital last night for a while. How are you doing? It is good that you have internet access while you are there.

Gordon

Edward_1980
29-09-12, 15:29
Hi Edward,

I was sorry to see you were going back into hospital last night for a while. How are you doing? It is good that you have internet access while you are there.

Gordon

Hiya Gordon. Please read my post in the original thread, thanks.:hugs:

Edward_1980
29-09-12, 16:40
I understand how you feel. Confidence can be shattered in situations like that. I'm sorry that you fainted. I have come close myself a couple of times.

Clarinha
22-10-12, 08:45
Hi Edward,

Thanks for sharing your recovery journey, it gives me hope! I'm experiencing a setback at the moment and realising I never did apply CBT fully (I was still using safety behaviours to get me through exposure, didn't do exposures regularly enough and never really accepted my anxiety but tensed against it). I have realised one of the key things is acceptance of the symptoms and anxiety rather than seeing the absence of symptoms as the goal...easier said than done but I think I'm ready to try again!
Thanks again, so happy for you :D and it gives us hope too!

Edward_1980
22-10-12, 09:27
Hi Clarinha,

I wish you all the best in your recovery. You can do this. It takes time but you will get there. :)

Col
25-10-12, 11:29
Hi Edward well done on finding the strength mental and physical to carry on and stand your ground against those horrid feelings of panic!

I'm like you had supermarket problems I would never venture right to the back because it was a massive superstore because I needed to keep the exit in sight! Going out slowly thinking about walking to the first lamp post and then maybe the next one on! Agoraphobia is an absolute debilitating part of anxiety disorder I wish there was more awareness out there about it! I have always been confident chatty out and about never ever had panic attacks UNTIL last year when I was 29 and gosh when I started down that slippery path of feeling like I was losing my mind and again I've never ever felt or experienced anything like this before- I was absolutly beside myself. I felt like I was going mad I once was in my bath room before taking my daughter school and I felt like I didn't know who I was OR where I was I've never taken drugs or I wasn't on anything other than coffee. I was in a right pickle I had a problem with light outside I felt weird it was like my eyes had never seen the sun I felt like everything was out of control around me Id just stay at home and before I had to drive 5 minutes up the road even though I'd done this for years taking my little girl to school MY heart would be pounding - every day!!! Absolutley shocking. I can cope now and like u don't really second guess doing things these days BUT it's still there niggling in the back !!! I've not got complete confidence back it's changed me forever!! I also worry when I get stressed out by stuff I worry about my health and panic in the sense if not wanting to go back to feeling like that, ever again!

Well done you though! I really can relate to your story but I think even though I can function now and I am much more productive I always have that tiny vibrating panic button in the back of my head , which was not there before or at least, I wasn't conscious of it which of course now I unfortunatley am and always will be!

X

Edward_1980
25-10-12, 22:02
Col,

I am very happy that you are fighting this. Like you said, it is crippling and can consume us and strike at any time. I went shopping today and I'm afraid it got the best of me.