PDA

View Full Version : emetophobia please someone give me advice:(

laurenmae
28-09-12, 23:37
im 17 and i have had this phobia for as long as i can remember i am so petrified of being sick and it has gotten to the point where its taking over my life.everyday i am anxious that i may catch the flu or eat something dodgy, i wont go out for food and i have always got my hand sanitizer on me, even if i feel like i have a tempeture my mind goes crazy and i convince myself that im going to be sick, i dont mind seeing other people be sick as long as i dont catch it but i am forever obsessing over use by dates on food packaging, i have only told two of my friends about this my, i try hide it from my family as im scared they will think im silly but seriously is there any way of coping with it? any strategies? please someone help cant live my life like this no more:(

Anxious_gal
28-09-12, 23:56
Maybe CBT or even exposure therapy could help?
I don't have the phobia my self, but I really hate being properly sick, as its uncomfortable and out of my control.
From reading about others with your phobia they often say the actual being sick part isn't that bad lol but it's the fear and the dread that's hard.

Someone with your phobia should reply n be more helpful than me :)

spuder
29-09-12, 00:17
i have this too but iam fine when i am sick but cant stand others being sick. i think u need to chat to your gp huni take care xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Kayte
29-09-12, 23:41
i suffer with this too and i know exactly how you feel. ive stopped so many things in my life becauseof it and tonight when i got home from work my baby cousin has been sick twice. normally i would run and stay somewhere. but now i feel like if i dont face it now i never will get over it and it will just continue to control my life xx

Rls1994
30-09-12, 15:56
Lauren, I know exactly what you are going through as I also have emetophobia. It's a horrible phobia. I'm constantly worrying about throwing up although I never do. I always take anti-bacteria wipes with me to college so everytime I finish using the computer or whatever, I wipe my hands with them, although I'm still always convinced I'll get the stomach flu the next day or so.

I don't let people share drinks or food with me just in case they've recently had the stomach bug or about to be sick. It's quite frustrating as people seem to think I'm selfish for not sharing even though I've told them about my phobia. They think I just use it as an excuse to keep the food/drink for myself. :dry:

No one I know in my life understands my phobia and just thinks I'm weird.