PDA

View Full Version : frightened of the phone

MRS STRESS ED
29-09-12, 10:31
I wake up feeling very wobbley and weak everyday ,I try to tell myself its just my anxiety ,so I try to relax and the phone rings, I jump out my skin then the anxiety kicks in, my heart goes on overdrive ,then that awful dizzy feeling hits me .This happens everytime it rings ive started putting the phone on silent, I no its not the answer, anyone get this I no its stupid I just carnt stop :weep:

Elle-Kay
29-09-12, 10:34
My phone frightens me to death when it rings! I think it's the tone of the ringer, rather than the volume. Is your phone one of those where you can change the ringtone?

MRS STRESS ED
29-09-12, 10:40
thankyou for that ,I no Im not the only one , my phone wont change its volume I can only silence it ,but I think your right it is the the volume not the tone ,lol I could always smash it :yesyes:xxxx thanks again

24track
29-09-12, 12:10
The telephone is responsible for a huge amount of stress and distress!!

Turn the bloody thing off!!!! I hate the things... :D

MRS STRESS ED
29-09-12, 13:15
lol your right there :yesyes:

kittikat
29-09-12, 13:31
The telephone is responsible for a huge amount of stress and distress!!

Turn the bloody thing off!!!! I hate the things... :D

I couldn't agree more, well said 24track :yesyes: I hate it when the phone rings too!!

TidyboyTHFC
29-09-12, 14:01
ive also been scared of it for years. i just stick to mobiles and texting. no pressure then haha

MRS STRESS ED
29-09-12, 14:20
thankyou to everyone it helps knowing im not alone, you are such lovely people sending you all :hugs::hugs:

fozzy is crying
29-09-12, 14:21
Any phone call I get scares me. I have no one who would normally ring me except strangers, and my Doctor. I panic even more if it is a withheld number as I have had a lot of very abusive calls from withheld numbers. Sometimes such as my Doctor they have to ring me and they cannot change from the withheld number because of the way their system is set up and this is the same for lots of organisations, that I might need a genuine and urgent callback from. To get round this I have set up with my Doctors for example a coded way of them calling me so I will pick-up the withheld number.

I have to admit most of the time I reduce the ring tone volume to almost zero and sometimes for days actually turn all phones off.

As well as phone calls I also panic from emails, and normal post. My post as I live in a small village comes any time between 8am and 5pm. I am on edge every post day until it has come but most days there is nothing so my panic is a problem till gone 5pm Monday to Saturday just about post alone. The doorbell ringing is a hell of a scary problem. I have put a large notice in the window next to the door telling all callers unless it is for a genuine reason and not cold calling they must go away. All others the notice says must produce checkable ID. By the way in the UK if cold callers ignore the notice and ring the bell they are committing a criminal offence under "The Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations - 2008". If anyone wants a printable A4 copy of the notice I have made please feel free to email me and I will send it to you.

MRS STRESS ED
29-09-12, 14:44
thankyou it makes me feel better I also get nervous about people at the door ,but its mainly the phone ,I try to ignore it it makes me worse and answering it is a nightmare I rarely answer. I have it on silent must of the day im sending you a :bighug1: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

fozzy is crying
29-09-12, 14:50
thankyou it makes me feel better I also get nervous about people at the door ,but its mainly the phone ,I try to ignore it it makes me worse and answering it is a nightmare I rarely answer. I have it on silent must of the day im sending you a :bighug1: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Thank you a :bighug1:in return.

I get the initial panic and shock when the phone is on and it rings. However I check the caller id and in almost all cases just let it ring. I can do that even if they do not hang up for ages and the ringing goes on and on. I do not know why or when but is a long number of years ago that I realised I could put up with it ringing and ringing and not answer it. My Ex even when we knew it was someone pestering us could not let it ring and would say to me how can you let it ring? I said I just can.

24track
29-09-12, 15:59
I've just begun getting the email anxiety thing myself.. it's awful. Watching the messages come in and expecting something really bad that needs urgent attention that I cannot cope with.. I really thought I was alone with this!

It's so good to be on here and meeting similar folks.. and everyone is so kind, I'm so happy to have found this place!

Lots of hugs to everyone also!!!

fozzy is crying
29-09-12, 16:40
I've just begun getting the email anxiety thing myself.. it's awful. Watching the messages come in and expecting something really bad that needs urgent attention that I cannot cope with.. I really thought I was alone with this!

It's so good to be on here and meeting similar folks.. and everyone is so kind, I'm so happy to have found this place!

Lots of hugs to everyone also!!!

Hi,

Sorry I was typing a reply about emails to you but like lots I have tried today my mind is not in a good place and somehow lost it as I typed.

I cannot recreate it but have a look at MailWasher Pro I use it to filter many email addresses I have and delete or bounce back any I cannot cope with without having to download then as they can be part or wholly previewed plus addiction of White and Black lists is very good.

24track
29-09-12, 17:01
Hey thanks fozzy, I will check that one out as it sounds ideal.

Sorry that you are not too good today, been similarly bad myself. Mind's all over!

Change your sig - cos we're gonna make you feel supported, befriended and completely safe!!!
:)