PDA

View Full Version : Driving in the dark - panic

Pacific
29-09-12, 19:13
My parents sometimes ask me to pick up my sister from work after 8pm. I always get more anxious when its evening time but in the car its alot worse. I start sweating and shaking with a knot in my stomach. I feel like im not even in the car and feel spaced out.

I just cant wait to get back home. I also saw the full moon when i looked out my car window wich only made me more anxious :/. Its SO scary. I hate driving in the dark :(

Annie0904
29-09-12, 19:16
I don't like driving in the dark either. I always keep the doors locked and radio on but it still makes me a little anxious. Would you be able to explain to your parents how you feel or maybe take someone else with you to pick her up?

Pacific
29-09-12, 19:21
mm im 23 so its kinda embarrassing to tell my parents i dont want to drive when it gets dark - most of the time i do ask them to drive, but when they have other things to do they cant.

Annie0904
29-09-12, 19:36
I'm 54 and have never liked driving in the dark! I have to do it sometimes though and have had to pick my kids up from work etc. I do get nervous about it but know it has to be done so I just do it. I put the radio on and sing along to it to take my mind of my anxious feelings. Is it the fear of the car breaking down in the dark, or not being able to see so well?

Pacific
29-09-12, 19:45
Its not the fear of getting in a car crash or anything, the road i drive doesnt have many cars so that isnt the problem. Its just driving combined with it being dark outside (wich are both things that make me anxious for some reason) I get this very doom feeling when driving in the dark.

Annie0904
29-09-12, 19:48
I feel the same and hate this time of year when the nights are getting darker. I avoid going out on nights if I can when it is dark unless someone else is with me. Playing the music is the only thing I can think to do...maybe someone else will have some better ideas to help us overcome this fear, I hope so :hugs:

Stormsky
29-09-12, 19:55
I love driving at night, I had all my lessons in the dark when I started driving ...to conquer it, you need to start looking for positives about night driving, to start to enjoy it...if you keep telling youself you don't like it, then things won't change...

Annie0904
29-09-12, 20:40
I love driving at night, I had all my lessons in the dark when I started driving ...to conquer it, you need to start looking for positives about night driving, to start to enjoy it...if you keep telling youself you don't like it, then things won't change...

I had all my lessons in the snow and like driving in the snow! You are right Stormsky we need to think of good things, I'm trying to think of some...Ok once I saw an owl and another time I saw the Northern Lights (which freaked me out at first until I realised what it was!) They were both beautiful and I would never have seen them if I hadn't driven in the dark. :)

Pacific
29-09-12, 22:05
Yeah its getting dark earlier here too. Music does help alot. Ill try the positive thought thing next time, not sure what positives i can come up with driving in pitch black

Annie0904
29-09-12, 22:07
not sure what positives i can think of driving in pitch black

I know I struggle with that one! :)

Stormsky
29-09-12, 22:17
If you can find negatives then you can find positives....even if its just telling yourself its not so bad..