PDA

View Full Version : lump in throat

sparkle_1979
01-10-12, 10:39
is this just another one i need to add to the recent list of symptoms.

Yesterday I was shopping and a lump in my throat feeling just appeared. It feels a little like something is stuck, also it feels tight? It's been there since?

:doh: I can not believe there is something else. Its like something new every week these days

JoannaS
01-10-12, 16:07
I get a lump in my throat when I feel anxious. I didn't realise why it was happening at first and then I thought about what I was doing and where I was when it was happening (in a long queue at a cafe every morning on holiday) and realised it was only when I was in that situation. I think when we're anxious our throat constricts and gets tight, but it won't do you any harm. I'm pretty sure there's a section on the left under the Symptoms heading about lump in throat feeling.

---------- Post added at 16:07 ---------- Previous post was at 16:06 ----------

Throat tightening/Choking/Swallowing problems

What you feel:

Often one of the first symptoms of anxiety. People complain of feeling as though they will choke or being strangled. In reality its not nearly so dramatic - the muscles in the throat contract and salivary glands produce thick mucus leading to a feeling of restriction around the throat, it can produce a feeling that you are having difficulty swallowing or breathing. In fact you are not having difficulty, it just feels as though you are. You also get a dry mouth and it can feel like you cannot drink but you can.
You feel as though there is something stuck in your throat or sometimes feel there is a lump in your throat. Other times you may feel that you can barely swallow or that there is a tightness in the throat, or that you have to really force yourself to swallow. Sometimes this feeling can lead you to think that you may suffocate or get something stuck in your throat.
What causes this:

When in danger, stress biology produces a tightening in the throat muscles which produces the choking or 'something stuck in the throat' feeling. When in a nervous or stressful situation, many people will experience this feeling. It is often referred to as 'a lump on your throat'.
There is minimal danger of choking or suffocating under normal conditions, however, some people are very sensitive to things in their throat and therefore caution should always be observed when eating. Chewing food thoroughly andslowly will prevent inadvertently swallowing something that may provoke someone to gag. This symptom can come and go, and may seem to intensify if one becomes focused on it.

sparkle_1979
01-10-12, 17:19
Thanks you for this :)

poppy26
09-10-12, 13:10
I have had this for.the past 6 months after withdrawing from citalopram. Its horrible i feel like i have a lump.of.mucus i cant swallow! :huh:

susan1963
09-10-12, 13:35
hi sparkle, you are definetley not alone with the lump feeling, sometimes after ive eaten something, it feels like its stuck on one side of my throat, it lasts for hours, but mostly i get tightening spasms with excess saliva, as the day wears on and by the time i go to bed its a lot worse, i suck mint imperials or polos and it seems to get better for a while, this works for me, when you get the lump feeling try to ignore it, easier said than done lol take care :)

sparkle_1979
09-10-12, 18:41
Thanks this is actually getting worse and I've had it now for we'll over a week. I think I've had one day when I've nots noticed it. It's really horrible and hope I don't have it long term x

susan1963
11-10-12, 11:27
the only thing that we can do is try and ignore it, easier said than done, if i focus on it , it gets a lot worse its like a vicous circle, ive had these awfall symptoms for 6 months, just hoping it goes away soon take care :hugs:

sparkle_1979
11-10-12, 19:05
Thanks Susan is yours there constantly x

susan1963
16-10-12, 11:43
no its not there constantly i seem to get it every other day...... it tends to come on as the day wears on and by the time i go to bed it gets awfall so scary i hate it :weep:

sparkle_1979
17-10-12, 17:48
im the same mine is ususally worse as the day goes on, though this morning it was there when i woke up

susan1963
17-10-12, 18:27
do you get loads of saliva with your throat tightenings ?

sparkle_1979
17-10-12, 19:10
Not lately but this was something I was getting a month or so ago

cassie1975
17-10-12, 19:32
I have had this for about three months, today I went for a gastroscopy (a camera down my throat) it was bloody awful but on the upside it was normal. Anxiety symptoms are awful and I tend to get them when I am not feeling anxious. I hope yours settles down its awful how anxiety affects our bodies. :hugs:

susan1963
18-10-12, 12:13
hi again sparkle,:) do you get tightenings in your throat ? and when its tight do you get a lot of saliva in your mouth ? and sometimes feel sick during spasms?

sparkle_1979
18-10-12, 12:32
Hi, yes I do get a tight feeling, sometimes like a scarf is wrapped around my neck. I also feel sick, but maybe it's due to stress? I wouldn't say I get much saliva, but I've heard this is a symptom of anxiety x