PDA

View Full Version : Pregabalin / Lyrica just started

Rich
01-10-12, 13:39
Hi
I have been suffering from anxiety and derealisation for a number of years now on and off and was alway treated with Citalapram 20 -30 mg
Last year around this time I started with really bad Anxiety and Derealisation again so was put on Citalpram at 30 mg the anxiety decreased within about 6 -8 weeks getting worse to start with but the DR never really went completely and would reappear at different strengths throughout the year.
Just last week started with really bad panic attacks and Derealization also had a strange feeling, that what Id done 5mins ago, felt like it was a year ago which freaked me out even more. At this stage I was still taking 20mg Citalpram so went to see the Dr.
She said the citalpram was obviously not working that well for me and would probably better to take a newer drug called Pregabalin. She told me to take 75mg in the morning and 75mg at night and gradually begin to come of citalapram over the next month or two. I started last Thursday night and felt an imediate difference in the morning. Although i felt quite spacey my anxiety had dropped to nothing ! surley a drug doesn't work that quick?
Anyway was a little worried about taking the morning dose so have only been taking the night dose so just 75mg. Today I started taking the morning dose aswell and feel very tired and monged out, hopefully his tired feeling will pass but saying that prefer it to the panic feeling.

Rich

BobbyDog
01-10-12, 14:34
In my opinion the drug doesn't work that quickly, when I first started taking Pregabalin my anxiety level's dropped to nothing aswell, I think that is an initial side effect, but a pleasant one too! The euphoria doe's disappear.

In my experience the spaced feeling and tiredness wear's off after a couple of week's of taking Pregabalin.

I was having panic attack's every day, that is not so much the case anymore; when I do have an attack now the intensity is much less.

Edward_1980
01-10-12, 19:35
I am on 75mg twice daily and when I first started it made me feel zoned out. Keep taking them though because they work wonders for anxiety and panic attacks. The feelings you are experiencing are side effects that will soon wear off and you will begin seeing the benefits.

Rich
01-10-12, 19:47
Thanks for the replies so far I konw it is early days but am feeling positive about this drug. Seeing the Dr again on Wednesday.
When you started and got the zoned out feeling did you just relax or carry on doing stuff

Rich

Edward_1980
01-10-12, 20:17
Thanks for the replies so far I konw it is early days but am feeling positive about this drug. Seeing the Dr again on Wednesday.
When you started and got the zoned out feeling did you just relax or carry on doing stuff

Rich

At first I was really elated and manic. I cleaned obsessively and couldn't sit still for a moment. I HAD to scrub floors and tables, load and unload the dishwasher (I became aggressive when it wasn't finished on time) and sort out clothes and do hoovering. This has since passed though and I don't have these compulsions anymore. I still get anxious and have panic attacks, but this is because of the low dose and I am due to be upped in two weeks time. The Doctor was right to start you at 75mg twice daily.

Rich
01-10-12, 21:46
Thanks Edward for you input

The thing thats effecting me at the moment is the zoned out feeling very similiar to Derealisation due to feeling so out of it hope this goes soon.

Im tryinmg not to let it bother me but cant ignore it very well as I feel kind of drunk, just took another 75mg and this is obviously make me even more blaaar, oh well hopefully it will help in the long run

Rich

Edward_1980
01-10-12, 21:55
Don't worry Rich. I can assure that this will pass. Just keep taking one in the morning and one at night and you'll be fine. These symptoms WILL pass. I seem to have settled and I'm sure you will too. It's just side effects that happen with all new medication. Stick with it mate. We'll beat this!

Rich
02-10-12, 14:54
Thanks mate will do
Slept very heavy last night so that was good took tab at 8am feel i little more normal than yesterday but still zoned out

Edward_1980
02-10-12, 15:38
I know it's hard at first Rich, but these feelings will pass. I'm glad you slept last night and are feeling a little bit better today.

Rich
03-10-12, 12:24
Well slept good again last night didnt wake once.
When I did eventually come round felt pretty relaxed to be onist.
Going to see Dr to day had a booked review to see how Im going with the Pregabalin, hope i can get used to this dose and just stay at this level as still feel zoney but anxiety still reduced. Think its the morning tab thats the one I dont like as it zones me out for the rest of the day wish I could just take it at night, but guess the half life of this drug prevents that

Rich

---------- Post added at 12:24 ---------- Previous post was at 09:37 ----------

Update

Been to docs and have suggested to keep on the 75mg at night but stop the one in the morning or reduce it. Problem is planning to go back to work next week and dont think I could drive feeling like that. Said to see how it goes and may increase to 100mg at night. She said for anxiety its horses for coarses really some people respond well to low doses and others need high, but if Im getting some effect from the low dose better to keep it there and not jump up to quick (benifits against side effects). With regard to citalapram told me to stay with that for now but titrate it down to 10mg eventually so 10, 20 ,10, 20 etc each night
Will see how it goes, main thing is feeling positive about it all so thats a big step in itself.

Rich

Edward_1980
03-10-12, 16:42
Glad to see that you are still feeling positive Rich. Keep up with this and you will soon see a result. I held back on taking a Lyrica this morning and instead took it before I went to the cinema at around 12.30pm.

Rich
07-10-12, 11:23
Starting to feel a little anxious again now wondering if I should start upping my dose a little nit feeling spacey anymore though

Rich

Edward_1980
08-10-12, 21:16
Don't up your dose without the Doctor's say so. Speak to him about this before doing anything. Upping the dose can leave you feeling like an utter zombie for hours on end.

ewood79
14-10-12, 11:29
I'm very interested in reading your thoughts.... Lyrica here in Australia is used off label for anxiety and only really smart shrinks and GPs know about it.

I'm on lexapro 20mg and this drug has been spoken about being introduced for me for my anxiety etc.

How are you going at the moment with it all? What effect did you think it had on you and what where your side effects like?

Cheers

ewood79
16-10-12, 22:56
Any updates guys?

Edward_1980
17-10-12, 21:50
Hoping Rich will update us soon.

RaynHay
18-10-12, 23:30
Hi all,

The doc has tried me on all sorts of anti-depressants and none of them have been any good. bad side affects, panic attacks etc... then he started me on lyrica 75mg 1 on a morning 1 on a night and i must say i felt the effects straight away, it was great. He then put me on 150mg on a morning and 150mg on a night and its stilll working out really good. I would definatley recomend these tablets to anyone but as the doctor says different people react differently to different tablets, but in my eyes these are the best for me.

I sometimes get a bit sleepy from these but nothing that affects my day to day activities. i am currently seeing a CBT therapist and i have started eating again so i am so grateful that the CBT and the tablets have finally given me the strength to carry on in life!

Good luck to all out there with anxiety because i know how bad this can be, but stay strong think positive and everything will work out great....x

ewood79
19-10-12, 00:13
Great up date thank you.... I'm on lexapro 20mg and that's been good but just to help out the shrink is thinking about these in combination.

I have heard very good things about it. It's used off label here for anxiety.

Cheers jarrod

Rich
02-01-13, 23:48
Hey sorry not been on here for a while.
I have now come of Pregablin as it made my derealisation worse.

Rich

Mark13
03-01-13, 00:23
Sorry to hear it didn't help you in the long run Rich. I'm in week 5 of my Pregabalin journey (been on 600mg for 10 days) and it's helping me, and the derealisation I've had for 34 years is actually improving, but on and off.

Kayla-Marie
04-01-13, 19:46
hi rich you sound like me.....i suffer with exactly the same symptoms and start pregabalin tonight am hoping it helps as lost count of all the meds i've tried in the past 4 years.i'm on 5mg of olanzapine as well to be honest i'm not looking forward to taking pregabalin due to side effects but its my last hope kayla x