PDA

View Full Version : Counselling PTSD

Annie0904
01-10-12, 14:48
I had my 3rd counselling session today. My counseller told me that in all the people she has counselled she has never had anyone who has gone through so much as me :unsure: She also thinks I may have post traumatic stress disorder which stemmed from a bad car accident that I saw when I was in my teens and has got worse by other events both before and after that time. Has anyone else been told they have PTSD? She didn't really explain it to me and is going to consider it more in my next session. I am feeling quite drained and 'empty' since I got back. I was quite tearful when I was there but just feel empty now.

swgrl09
01-10-12, 15:07
I have had counseling for PTSD. My sessions included EMDR (eye-movement desensitization reprocessing) and also talk-therapy. My therapist said sometimes talk therapy is not enough for trauma and that's why we did EMDR. Basically you recollect about your trauma and revisit the feelings while the therapist waves their finger infront of your eyes or taps between your thumbs ... same effect different technique.

I do think, now that I have some space from our EMDR, that it did help the trauma not feel as "close." It feels more distant and less intense emotions come up with it. But I will say that it is very difficult, at least it was for me, and exhausting. At times felt like I was getting worse before getting better. But in the end it was worth it, I would say.

Let me know if you have any questions!

loopylu86
01-10-12, 15:14
I think this is a normal reaction. Revisiting these sad and disturbing memories would make anyone feel drained Annie. It definitely makes sense. I worked in a care home when I was 18 and found a gent dead in bed. That alone was disturbing for me and I left the job a few weeks later. The fact that you have witnessed something so graphic...well I don't think I could be as brave as you have been xx

Annie0904
01-10-12, 15:40
SWGRL I saw something about EMDR on TV not along, I will ask my counsellor about it, Thank you.
loopylu yes it was very graphic and very frightening. There was just me and my 2 friends with 2 boys with really horrific injuries and 1 of them died. No matter how much I try I can't get it out of my mind and even now I am crying telling you about it. I was told to think about it in black and white when I get flash backs but it is still there. I was 17 and I am 54 now and it is still like it just happened. :weep:

loopylu86
01-10-12, 15:48
How awful.. Things like that will always stay with you unfortunately and the awfuk times always seem like yesterday don't they? Do you still have contact with the friends that witnessed it too? xx

Annie0904
01-10-12, 15:57
I don't..we were on the same college course at the time and were on our way back from visiting a nursery school in 1 of my friends cars. The boys were in a van ahead of us..the days before seat belts were compulsory. I am paranoid about wearing seat belts now, especially when I take kids on school trips and they take their seat belts off on the school bus. I don't often shout at them but I do if they remove their seat belts!

fozzy is crying
01-10-12, 16:01
I had my 3rd counselling session today. My counseller told me that in all the people she has counselled she has never had anyone who has gone through so much as me :unsure: She also thinks I may have post traumatic stress disorder which stemmed from a bad car accident that I saw when I was in my teens and has got worse by other events both before and after that time. Has anyone else been told they have PTSD? She didn't really explain it to me and is going to consider it more in my next session. I am feeling quite drained and 'empty' since I got back. I was quite tearful when I was there but just feel empty now.

Awe Ann :bighug1:

Seems you have a good counsellor to also pick up past events that are locked away and adding to stress. Back in 1989 I nearly drowned and never got or needed at the time any counselling for it. From time to time it comes back to haunt me. For the first 15 years since I revisited the site of my accident on the anniversary of it not just the day which was 31st of March but the exact time which was ten in the morning. It took 8 years to go alone and 5 to get out of the car when I was there. It was and always effects me and upsets me but it something I have to do. Unfortunately due to my health being so bad I have not been able to re-visit this year on the day or another in the year as I have done ever since 1989 without fail until now. The reason being I am unfit to fly and this happened in Malta.

Gordon

Annie0904
01-10-12, 16:06
Gorden I fell in a swimming pool when I was 7 and had to be pulled out, that was scary too but at least someone was there to get me out. I am frightened of water now and won't even let the shower go over my face!
I went to Malta for the first time last year, we took my parents because my dad had always wanted to go there. not good memories for you though :(

fozzy is crying
01-10-12, 16:40
Gorden I fell in a swimming pool when I was 7 and had to be pulled out, that was scary too but at least someone was there to get me out. I am frightened of water now and won't even let the shower go over my face!
I went to Malta for the first time last year, we took my parents because my dad had always wanted to go there. not good memories for you though :(

Hi Ann,

When I fell into Malta's Grand Harbour there were too many trying to save me. lol

It was a National Holiday event to mark Freedom Day and unusually for that event there were not the normal few dozen but tens of thousands. It was a soldier who saved my life. What happened after to me is a long and at times both funny and amazing story. That day marked the tenth anniversary of freedom day and it was until ten years later under very heavy police presence it was held at Birgu where it should have been.

You will have to tell me of your visit in your next PM to me and I will tell you the funny follow up.

Gordon

paranoidtree
01-10-12, 21:45
Hi annie, although not diagnosed with ptsd i'm working through childhood trauma and my counsellor explained to me that when you have a traumatic event (that isn't properly dealt with at the time) then you 're-live' this anytime you have any new trauma (either real or percieved, of which i've had my fair share) so thats why it can be harder to deal with - my operation last year really freaked me out and is the cause of my relapse but it only freaked me so much as all the 'old'trauma also reared it's head too.

Hopefully that made sense? My counsellor did explain it so much better.

Anyway, i really hope that you can start to 'unravel' it all and feel better. It sounds like your counsellor knows what she is talking about (which is always a good start!) And it is perfectly normal to feel drained after a session, i do most weeks.

Laura123
01-10-12, 21:50
Hi Annie, glad you went but sad you feel so drained, I think with this kind if therapy you are bound to feel a bit worse to start with as you are opening such painfull memories and re living them step by step. Big hug and well done. Another step closer! Xxx

Elle-Kay
01-10-12, 21:55
I agree with paranoidtree about traumatic events resurfacing (uninvited) throughout life if they aren't identified & dealt with at the time. Funnily enough I had a similar discussion with my Herbalist earlier - he asked me what I thought triggered my anxiety in the very first instance, and I explained to him about our car accident when I was a toddler, and my reactions to being near traffic collisions since (either that I can remember, or that have been related to me by others from my childhood). The first panic attack I remember was when I was nearby when two cars collided as a teenager - the sound of breaking glass sent me into a blind panic, which was made worse because I didn't know then what it was (the glass broke in our accident years earlier). He accepted that even though I don't remember the original accident it still has a power over me because it wasn't addressed at the time (well it was 1983! lol), and has added a herb to my prescription which helps with letting go, emotionally.

Sorry to waffle on there! I'm so pleased for you that you are keeping up with your counselling, and hope that your counsellor helps you to work forward. Be kind to yourself tonight, if you feel tired :)

Serenitie
01-10-12, 21:59
Hi Annie,

Like swgrl I had counselling and EMDR for complex PTSD. You may feel very drained, tired and emotional whilst exploring these issues, but for me, the outcome was beneficial and worthwhile.

If you have an unresolved trauma, it will be triggered by any subsequent trauma and brought to the forefront again, no matter how long ago the original trauma occurred.

You have a very skilled counsellor to pick up on PTSD. I'm sure the work that you do together will have a positive impact on your life :yesyes:

Annie0904
01-10-12, 22:32
Thank you everyone for your kind comments. I have been writing a lots of things down about my life to take with me to my next session and I have been a little tearful and anxious tonight...a lot has gone on in the past and I have a lot to deal with but I am hoping to draw more positives from it.