PDA

View Full Version : I made it!

Elle-Kay
01-10-12, 17:52
After all my worrying about going to the heritage event in the city yesterday, and going to the Herbalist appointment today, I made it through both! Neither day was plain-sailing, but at least I did them both, so I don't have cause to beat myself up about flaking out :D

At the heritage event yesterday I had a few wobbly moments, but was amazed that the first time I looked at my watch we had already been there an hour and a half - it had flown, so I can't have been too anxious because that usually makes time drag! We met so many nice people demonstrating such interesting crafts, and I actually did manage to have a good time, despite the odds I had potentially put in my way. I didn't manage to eat anything whilst out again (but this is something I can work on later) and I did have a wobble where I asked Mum if we could leave right away (I went into a room at the museum I hadn't been in before, with lots of people, so suddenly felt very trapped), but immediately as my Mum said we could leave I knew that I needed to stay until the panic had subsided a bit, so that's what we did in the end, and stayed for another 10-15 minutes at least. Even taking this into account though, at least I was out for 3 hours with hardly any symptoms!

The Herbalist appointment was really interesting. He's a nice chap, and was very understanding & non-judgmental of all that I was telling him. He seemed to understand anxiety as he spoke about things like it being a very real fear for the sufferer, even if it appears less so to the outer world, and had even thought on, ahead of my appointment (I had warned him that I would be anxious), to burn a particular kind of basil essential oil/taper in the clinic room that has anxiety-relieving properties. Plus he offered me (FOC) some chamomile & basil tea and/or a dose of a herb that has properties similar to Diazepam during the appointment, to help make it easier for me. I was touched that he was so caring about making me comfortable.

Anyway, despite warning him that I might have to leave part-way through, I did end up making it through the whole 1.5 hour appointment (or 1.75 hour by the time we had finished chatting!), and have brought some medicine away with me. I expected it to have the usual in - lavender, chamomile, passionflower etc - but it has all sorts in to address my migraines and digestion as well as the anxiety. I can't remember everything, but licorice, mistletoe and orange blossom were definitely mentioned! I'm sure it will taste foul, lol, but if it helps I don't care! I'm seeing him again in 3 weeks to update him, and he will add to/remove herbs as necessary depending on my feedback.

He said that I might feel worse for a few days/a week as the changes start to happen, but this is the same with any medication the Dr might have given me, so I hope I'll be able to cope and stick it out!

Overall, I'm quite cautiously pleased with myself for getting through two fairly sizeable challenges inthe last few days :yesyes:

Annie0904
01-10-12, 18:04
Really pleased that it all went well for you Elle-Kay. Please keep us informed as to how the herbal treatment is working. I may consider it myself. Well done for managing to do so much :yahoo:

loopylu86
01-10-12, 18:23
Wow! This is amazing news! Well done! Love to hear the positive stories on here! Glad everything went well! :D

Elle-Kay
01-10-12, 19:13
And now I'm having panic spikes - oh dear :( Does anyone else find this... that when you achieve something good your panic is almost closer to the surface/more easily triggered afterwards?

Ho hum. I'm sure I'll feel different in the morning.... is it bedtime yet?!?

Annie0904
01-10-12, 19:16
Just keep reminding yourself of your achievements over the past few days. You have done a lot so will be feeling more tired and I often find I am more anxious when tired. Have a nice relaxing bath and early to bed :hugs:

loopylu86
01-10-12, 19:28
This happened to me on saturday Elle-Kay...which was an amzing day! As soon as I relaxed and unwound.. I felt the panic there slightly but you know just what to do to step on it and keep it at bay. Just keep reminding yourself of how much you have achieved! Plus the steps you have taken are HUGE steps!! I think we can all relate to a time where just popping to the shop set us into a panic. So what you have achieved it fantastic!! Sending positivity and calmness your way :hugs:xx

bernie1977
01-10-12, 20:01
Well done that is fantastic and inspiring news

paranoidtree
01-10-12, 21:38
Well done, that's fantastic that you managed to do not just one but two events!

Hopefully the herbalist will work wonders for you too :)

And yes, i'm the same. Normally later that day or the next the anxiety creeps back in despite me thinking how much i've achieved. Hopefully this will ease in time

Laura123
01-10-12, 21:45
Well done that's fantastic! Positive vibe :) xx

Elle-Kay
01-10-12, 22:06
Thanks for the encouragement & support guys - what would I do without you?! :hugs:

It's been a loooong day, so I'm in bed with my laptop & Matt Damon (on the telly! :winks:) I still feel a bit edgy, but I'm doing my best to ignore it and/or tell it that I don't care if it's there, because it can't hurt me.

I think I'm going to perhaps write in my blog, fill in my CBT4Panic worksheets and then get some shut-eye. Tomorrow I have a whole day with no plans, so think I might just reward myself with a PJ day :D

sophieunderscore
02-10-12, 09:37
I think the panic can rear its ugly head after a good day as well because you're tired and so you have less energy to focus on pushing it out of your mind or distracting yourself, does this make sense?

Elle-Kay
03-10-12, 10:23
:spam: again!