PDA

View Full Version : Having difficult time in new job...

GirlAfraid23
01-10-12, 18:15
Ok so I've started my new job in a school and all was going well, until last week when a colleague has started to pick on me and be-little me.

The person in question has no direct authority over me yet they are making me feel uncomfortable in a work situation by pretty much watching my every move and criticising me when they can.
Person we will call "X", well x pulled me to one side and told me all the things that I should be doing and the things I am doing wrong.
They are very rude and constantly make me feel be-littled and patronised in front of the kids and other staff members.
I have no idea what to do about it, its making me very anxious and I'm worried about going in tomorrow and having to face X, especially since it is only my 3rd week so people should be giving me the benefit of the doubt still. I haven't even completed one full term yet.
X didn't help me put a table away today and when I struggled to put it away as number one it was heavy and number two it was one of those tricky fold away ones, X snapped at me and began to get annoyed because I was struggling. I hate with a passion being seen as incapable and it really gets to me. I'm so anxious and stressed at the moment, its not helping my problems at all :(

fozzy is crying
01-10-12, 18:22
Ok so I've started my new job in a school and all was going well, until last week when a colleague has started to pick on me and be-little me.

The person in question has no direct authority over me yet they are making me feel uncomfortable in a work situation by pretty much watching my every move and criticising me when they can.
Person we will call "X", well x pulled me to one side and told me all the things that I should be doing and the things I am doing wrong.
They are very rude and constantly make me feel be-littled and patronised in front of the kids and other staff members.
I have no idea what to do about it, its making me very anxious and I'm worried about going in tomorrow and having to face X, especially since it is only my 3rd week so people should be giving me the benefit of the doubt still. I haven't even completed one full term yet.
X didn't help me put a table away today and when I struggled to put it away as number one it was heavy and number two it was one of those tricky fold away ones, X snapped at me and began to get annoyed because I was struggling. I hate with a passion being seen as incapable and it really gets to me. I'm so anxious and stressed at the moment, its not helping my problems at all :(

It is their problem do not let them make it yours.

If it was me I would next time just say quietly in their ear so no one else hears. Something like "Stuffed Get" or some variation of "Go forth and multiply" that they might understand. If it continued after that I would report them. The law is on your side you do not have to and should not put up with this and they know it. They also know if you let them they can get away with it.

theharvestmouse
01-10-12, 19:17
I would have a word with them, don't let this person treat you like this. Just let them know how you feel and if it carries on then go above their head.

paranoidtree
01-10-12, 21:51
Hey, sorry to hear you are having a rough time in your new job. Is there a HR person you could chat to? That way it can be kept confidential and you can get some advice on how to proceed? Or maybe a quiet chat to your manager about the situation? It can be hard to know how to deal with something like this when you are new and perhaps chatting to someone else there might help ease the situation?

good luck and hope it gets easier (and the 'x' gets off your back!)

Elle-Kay
01-10-12, 22:15
Sorry to hear that 'X' is acting poorly towards you. I would suggest speaking with him/her - it needn't be anything intense, but if he/she sees that you have the courage to stand up and say "I would rather you didn't speak to me in that tone if you don't mind. I find it a little upsetting" then I bet they will modify their attitude towards you.