PDA

View Full Version : Different sorts of anxiety

Meg
04-06-04, 11:11
Hi,

Does anyone else have different sorts of anxiety/panic

One sort was worrying about .. a journey tomorrow and what if XXX happened, going to the cinema and perhaps feeling trapped , being left alone all day and being too dizzy to stand and there being noone around to turn to..
These seemed to be about events and potential dreadful 'things' happening. These were horrible and could spiral into panic quickly, but I learnt there were things I could DO to prevent and protect against these.

Then there was another sort which was worse I think, as it wasn't surrounding anything tangible but things like ..that I would go mad and the detailed implications of this, that I'd go back to Square one and never get better, that my life was a waste. I remember Mum buying me a lovely cutlery set and me thinking that there was no point as I wasn't likely to be at home to enjoy it for long ...
This sort seemed to go on for days and be much less likely to reach actual panic but was less controllable and was much harder to shift and caused more anguish.

I'm writing chapter 7 now and wanted to see if this was just me and a few others I've spoken to, or fairly widespread.

All thoughts and opinions welcome please

Meg

'There can only be true courage when first there is genuine fear'

Dr.David Livingstone

Laurie28
04-06-04, 12:10
Meg,

I have suffered from both these types of anxiety but i had another one

I agree the 2nd type of anxiety you have described is worse

I hope this makes sense.

It was the night i was going to eat crunchy nuts for the 1st time (since i had a thing about nuts I mean!)
I was obviusly worried about eating them but it didn't come out on me like that. Whilst not thinking abut eating the nuts I had really bad anxiety attacks, i thought my lips had swollen and couldn't breathe etc etc, i worked myself up soo much that i never touched the nuts that night. i suppose it was anticipatory anxiety but I couldn't catch myself and say 'get a grip it's only because you are going to eat nuts' because i wasn't connecting any of the anxiety symptoms to my 'nut eating'. I wasn't thinking if i eat nuts this or that will happen and got panicky I was just sitting on the couch watching tv when it came on me (the anxiety/panic attack i mean)

I hope this makes at least some sense!

lucky

Meg
04-06-04, 13:06
Thanks for that Lucky. I've covered anticipatory both concious and subconcious in an earlier chapter but maybe need to revisit it again at this point .
Ta

Meg

Dr.David Livingstone

Lizzy
04-06-04, 17:03
Hi Meg
I suffer from the intangible panic and it doesn't seem to matter what you do, it just won't go away. It's as if that is the only thought you are able to think. This in itself nearly drives me crazy. I think if only it would go away, if only I could concentrate on something else anything except that. But reason and logic don't come into the equation. When "it" does go oh the relief! you feel human again. God I hate this illness. Really, if you do suffer you are emotionally/mentally disabled but not recognised as such, because, for myself, I am ashamed of my condition.
Love Liz

Caz Fab Pants
04-06-04, 17:08
Meg,
I've never really sat down and distinguished between the two but now I've read it I can immediately relate to what you have said.
I have suffered with both of those types of anxiety and would definitely say the second one is worse because you're not actually affraid of one particular thing, you're anxious about the whole situation and that is something that doesn't improve quickly. Therefore there is no one exercise you can do that will make this anxiety reside apart from by working on the whole picture which seems so impossible (although of course its not.)

I didn't realise how bad this type of anxiety could get until recently when I found myself worrying morning, noon and night about how I was steadily getting worse, having more barriers and limitations and was going out less and less. Trouble is worrying about it just made the whole thing worse and so the cycle continues.

Hope this makes sense and good luck with this chapter.

Caroline
x

Meg
04-06-04, 17:15
Lizzy,

Have you been able to get it away at all ? Does music or relaxation CD's, crossword puzzles, test the nation type quizzes help at all ? The TTN type quizzes were lifesavers for me as they proved to me the thoughts would go if I got involved enough in something else and I always do these with my neighbours and I was so suprised and thrilled after the first one to suddenly wonder afterwards why I had peace in my head - well that was enough to bring it all rushing back .... but I now knew it could be ok.

Remember acceptance works better than fighting it. The more you give it energy the stronger it becomes ...

Thoughts not instructions

What are you ashamed of when what you're experiencing is a brain sprain ?
If you had an ankle sprain you'd take care of it wouldn;t you.

Meg

Dr.David Livingstone

Meg
04-06-04, 18:46
Its really interesting that nowhere in any of my research and reading does it distinguish or explain different sorts of anxieties apart from anticipatory on which Feel The Fear And Do It Anyway gets the medal.

I've got 5 sorts so far and think it's really useful and helpful to recognise the differences as it takes different strategies to try to shift them .

Meg

Dr.David Livingstone

april tones
04-06-04, 19:24
hi meg, i have had a anxiety moment similar to your cutlery one, like i wont see my son grow up and do special things. Or there is no point in something as i wont be here any more, horrible but just come out of no where, love april x

apriltones

jonny
04-06-04, 19:44
Ah Meg,

I am definately stuck in type 2 and as you say 'its impossible to shift'.

I think that i have gotten to this point slowly-almost like anxiety evolution. My problems started off with panic attacks which felt terrible but did pass with time and understanding. But now because i know what causes my physical feelings i am now able to stop the panic attacks and not let them spiral out of control. Shame it doesn't help with the anxiety though. Its as if these feelings will get out and express themselves however they can, so now they just trickle out slowly all day everyday.

And all day everyday just grinds you down emotionally and physically and you wonder if you will ever be normal again. This of course fuels the fire and away we go again! Depression follows and life feels pointless.

Well thats how i am anyway.....

Jonny.

imported_n/a
04-06-04, 20:21
HI MEG,,,

hey my main anxyiety for the last couple of years has been ""WHAT IF SOMEONE ASKS ME TO GO SOMEWHERE AND I CANT GET OUT OF IT""

that has been one of the worst for me,,,

hey i used to have dreams about haveing to go too far from my comfort zone,,,or nightmares cause they really were,,luckyly i have got out of those now,,

another one meg is the feeling that i was going to have a breakdown that was a big one for me ,,but now i know i am not crazy just insane helps lol,,

thanks megx

""HAPPINESS IS ALWAYS THERE UNDERNEATH THE ANGER AND DESPAIR""

xxxxdarrenxxxx

kate
04-06-04, 20:48
Meg,

I definately fall into the 1st category, but a lot of my anxiety moves on a stage further.

I worry about my actions/decisions affecting other people as well.

Such as leaving the grill on, causing a fire, which will then destroy all my possessions and the families possession. Then on to us all having nowhere to live and it all being my fault.

Or me leaving the front door open when I go to work and being burgled and everything stolen, due to me again.

Just a few examples, but I'm sure you get the general picture.....!

Kate x

Tessie28
04-06-04, 21:02
Hi Meg,
I think I have always had the first one even before any of this began. This one can ease as it doesn't come true. An example would be me worrying about my son's driving as we talked about. I would normally be worried but this is amplified.
The second is scariest and closer to panic for me[:0]. Today after a great day yesterday I've had a really bad one with a horrible mixture of both types as the first then seems to fuel the second as you realise you are not being logical [if that makes sense.] The only good point about the second one is that coming on here we know others who are feeling the same. Not sure that makes sense. I think i'll go to bed now[|)]and sleep if I can
love Tess

kate
05-06-04, 09:47
Reading back on my post, what I was trying to say was that I worry constantly about any action I take or any decision I make, backfiring and having bad consequences for others. And me getting the blame for it.

Does that make for clearer reading???

Tess, hope you feel better today, I have e mailed you.

Kate x

sadie
05-06-04, 19:40
Meg,

I would definetly say when I had my first panic attack I was constantly worrying about 'what if' this happens, such as have a heart attack or faint when I out shopping alone etc etc... In fact I am still battling with this type of thinking etc now. The 'what if' thinking is the thing that I believe keeps me in a state of anxiety....because there is no guarantees with life and no-one really knows if something will or not happen. So this constant worrying about my health is just wasted energy but I do find it difficult at times to stop.

I now however also experience the 2nd type of anxiety you mentioned too but this is probably more recent than the 1st one. I think you just feel like you are never going to get better and your life is doomed to be like this forever, therefore you feel whats the point of trying!!! Obvioulsy there is a point and we will get better eventually we just lose our way along the course.

I hope I have made some sense.:D

sadie

Tessie28
05-06-04, 19:58
That makes perfect sense to me Sadie - I couldn't agree more!
love Tess

stimpy
05-06-04, 22:50
I suffer from the "over antisipation" anxiety quite a lot.
My heart races with palpitations, I feel unsettled and agitated. It feels like I am waiting for something to happen, even though it won't. It's like I'm in the starting block waiting for someone to fire and gun and I have to run for all I am worth.

Then there is the constant depressive type of anxiety is its definately the worst.
The feeling of uselessness and worthlessness, the constant shaking the feeling that your life is over. Nothing works to calm you down and you feel as if you are going mad. You don't understand what is happening to you, you don't eat, sleep or have the will to do anything.

Then there is the full on screaming hab dab panic, the one were you completely lose it and roll around on the floor screaming as if you are possessed. The feeling of wanting to escape and yell for help.

Not for getting the worry anxiety.
What if ... I have to do this and I'm scared ...

Love, light and Best wishes
Liz xxx
With hard work and determination and all the things you know.
The world is there for you to take. There's nowhere you can't go.

[:p]Scatty Eccentric & 'Poet Laureate to panic and anxiety'

pauline
06-06-04, 00:03
Meg

Ditto to everything Sadie said as thats me. what if goes in my head all the time. I see myself shouting and as i think going mad. Not happend yet but oh the shame of it if it did.

Take care
Pauline

sarah
06-06-04, 17:57
Hi Meg

In the beginning I suffered badly with both types, the anticipatory anxiety was terrible but the other type was the one that sent me really thinking I was insane and dying. I used to sit all day and over analyse about the fact that I wasnt going to live much longer and even got to worrying as far down the line that Steve would be alone, would he get married again? would he buy a diferent bed? would he move bacause of the memories etc, who would be at the funeral. I literally drove myself crazy to the point that I thought the best place for me was in a nut house or not here at all. (not good to have a fertile imagination in this instance is it?)

Thankfully that part has pretty much dissapeared and im totally aware that none of the above is relevent anymore.

The anticipatory anxiety is the sort that im left with and even that is dissapearing the more I go out and do things. I find im not acutally scared of anything tangible..not scared of shops/trains/people etc, more scared of actually having a panic attack in these places and either making a complete idiot of myself or generally collapsing in a mess and my 'jelly' legs not getting me home quick enough or at all...lol

love Sarah
xx

we arent mad, just the next stage of evolution :)

jaykay
09-06-04, 14:20
i know what you mean. The slow burn anxiety is sometimes worse. I get panics because often I think about whether I will stop having panic attacks.

I keep thinking the next attack will drive me to go over the edge and do something stupid. This in turn makes me panic more.

I kind of know i wont collapse or die during a panic but i still fear something which i don't know what (Through CBT with my therapist).

its like a cloud hanging over you.