PDA

View Full Version : Chest infection not clearing.

Darren1
02-10-12, 10:08
Hello

I am new here and my current issue had led me to make a post.

About 6 weeks ago I got a cough randomly and feeling like my head was cloudy. Cough gradually got more chesty so after 4 weeks I went to doctors.

He listened to my chest and said I have a chest infection and it was quite noisy. He gave me a strong dose (500mg as supposed to 250mg) of antibiotics for a week.

Throughout that week I started to obsess about the infection because I've been here before whereby antibiotics don't work and ended up getting a x ray (which by the time I got to that it had all cleared up). I have been obsessed with huffing and coughing as hard as I can, constantly listening to the wheezing and seeing if the infection is 'still there'.

I pre booked a doctors appointment for the end of my antibiotics course and went in to see doctor on Saturday. A different doctor listened to my chest and said it still sounded quite wet and gave me another week course which ends on Friday. My chest is certainly betting, I cannot cough anything up, infact I am not even coughing unless I force it. However if I breath deep I can still here it crackles etc.

What is making me so anxious isn't that I think I have anything serious (although I could easily go down that road..) it's that in 2 weeks time I am starting a new job and really worried that I will need to ask for time off for an x ray pretty much within the first two weeks ! I am planning on going to the gp this Saturday and I am certain they will send me for an X-ray, it's pretty much procedure.

I just cannot bear the thought of asking for time off so soon in a new job. I am obsessed that I have this remains of a chest infection that won't clear and is an out of the ordinary issue.

I am hoping this week to take the antibiotics and try forget about my chest but I keep going to the bathroom and 'testing' to see if its gone or not. Really don't know how to get past this hurdle

Hoping somebody can relate?

Annie0904
02-10-12, 10:19
It is worrying when things take a long time to heal but they do sometimes take a while, my daughter is the same when she has chest infections and often gets sent for xrays. I wouldn't worry if you need to take time off for a hospital appointment. I am sure they will understand.