PDA

View Full Version : CBT Treatment for Agoraphobia

bhafc
02-10-12, 13:22
I've had to wait several month for NHS CBT for agoragphobia (which developed after a car accident and lost confidence in driving and car was written off) - during this time I also lost my job as a result of this.

Unfortuantely I live in the country where public transport is practically non-existant. The therapist came out to see me but said I would have to buy another car if she was to help me. The NHS did not have the resources to take me out. I'm currently out of work and could not afford to do this....she said Iwas just making excuses and refused to come out to me anymore and discharged me back to GP who said he could do nothing more.

Help what do I do now? I've just been left to my own devices. I need to return to work - but need help to enable me to do this. I cannot afford private treatment.....as I only on ESA which is about to stop because I've been claiming it a year. (in the WRAG group). I live with my Mum and she will be expected to support me on her single state pension. situation just gets worse.

Not sure what to do now?

Elle-Kay
02-10-12, 13:44
Is your problem solely with driving, or travelling generally? In CBT you have to work towards exposing yourself to your fear(s) to learn that they cannot truly harm you. I asked about where your fear lies because if it is just with driving then it is (realistically speaking) unlikely that you would be able to progress in your treatment without having the opportunity to drive. If it is with travelling generally though, I would have thought that you could at least build towards driving in stages by exploring other forms of transport via CBT - start with walking out locally, then perhaps cycling, then perhaps public transport. I realise that costs can be challenging if you're not working (I'm not working myself at the moment), but at this stage you may find that you can begin working again, so that you can consider getting a car and moving on further with your CBT treatment. Also, as someone once said to me: if someone told you that they could guarantee to free you from anxiety/panic, how much would you be prepared to pay them for that, and how hard would you try to find the money?

bhafc
02-10-12, 17:16
I've not been in a car since accident now 18 months ago....(rta was not my fault - insurance claim on going).... I've suffered from mild agoraphobia for some time - the car was my lifeline for going out....I managed to go out to work full time but that was it. Since accident I've just not managed to go out at all....my GP said the therapist would take me out in a car .....but obv that was not the case....and public transport round here is 1 bus a day into nearest town about 10 miles away.