PDA

View Full Version : open day invitation for a job advice

vicky23
02-10-12, 14:34
hi everyone,
so I've applied for a part time job at Iceland and they rang me asking me to attend an open day. I've never been to an open day before only private 1 to 1 interviews for jobs so have googled open days for jobs but no info comes up only stuff about uni. I'm wondering....
Has anyone been to an open day for a retail job before? was it just like a group interview?
and
should I mention my mental health issues? in my last job I filled in a form during the training time after being offered the job with the question do you have a disability/long term health condition which I ticked yes as I didnt want to lie but, if there's no such form and they don't ask should I offer the information?
thanks in advance for any replies
X

GunMetal
02-10-12, 15:37
Hi Vicky,

In my experience an open day tends to be a day where all applicants attend and meet with the employers. You will be shown around the store and given a detailed description of what you can expect from the job. I doubt they will interview you on the open day but don't take my word for that and just be prepared anyway! I would have thought they would do it as a precursor to interviews to make sure everyone knows what to expect and still wants to go ahead with the application process.

As for the mental health issue, i do think it's always best to be honest about these things and i find that hiding it from an employer tends to make you more conscious about hiding it and making sure no-one finds out you lied. If you get offered the job i'm sure you'll have to fill out an occupational health questionnaire, really its up to though.

Good luck with it and i hope you get the job :-)

Jenni xx

Stormsky
02-10-12, 16:06
Agree with Jenni, as in the open day will be for everyone who is interested to turn up for an induction day, and then to see if they want to proceed after that...
They will probably have a informal chat with everyone too. I doubt it will be an interview.
As for mental health issues, I personally dont tell employers, I know they shouldnt discriminate, but I do think it makes them think you will be taking time off etc... I have an interview tomorrow for asst Manager at a giftshop/internet company, and wont be talking about my mental health !

vicky23
02-10-12, 19:19
thanks both of you!
And stormsky I hope your interview goes really well!
x

Stormsky
02-10-12, 19:39
thanks both of you!
And stormsky I hope your interview goes really well!
x

Thanks, feeling nervous now!

beastman1103
02-10-12, 22:10
Hi Vicky
the last time i was at an open day for an organisation it was more about delivering information about the company to potential employeers. The one i was at gave potential employees a chance to talk to the employers and discuss things - it also showed me if it was an organisation i wanted to work for. i spent a while chatting and then got an application form and interview - finally attended the interview, got the job and then never took it. Its not that i typed this that i just realised that i probably didnt take it due to fear of change.

In terms of any potential new employer then employers are no longer free to ask such questions as they please. Under the equality act 2010 , which came into force on 1 October 2010, any medical questions asked before a job offer is made must relate specifically to the tasks involved in carrying out the role. Certainly the organisation i work for had to amend their application forms and remove the part about how many sick days have you had in the last 5 years - we are now also not allowed to ask anything like this in the interviews - i had interviewed loads of people and dont recall asking anything related to health in the last two years

hope this helps xxx

vicky23
03-10-12, 10:29
that's really helpful thank you so much!
Sounds weird but thinking of the interviewer as someone like you just a normal kind human not a robot trying to catch me out is very reassuring for potential interviews in the future :)
X

vicky23
03-10-12, 17:38
hi stormsky,
how did the interview go? were you very anxious?
Xx

beastman1103
03-10-12, 17:38
thats exactly the way to think about it - i am much more anxious interviewing people than i am when i am being interviewed. A good interviewer should be able to get the required information from you without you feeling any more uncomfortable and certainly should never come across as trying to catch u out. :D

During an interview i always use my experiences when answering a question - if they as me a how would you do this - i turn it around to 'the last time i had a situation like this - this is what i did' this makes it much easier to answer the question and you are able to answer from memory

hope this helps

xxx