PDA

View Full Version : Pregabalin discontinuation

headinthecloud
02-10-12, 15:32
I've been on Pregabalin for anxiety for a few months. The drug has never functioned without some quite severe side effects for me, like dizziness and headaches. I was on a dose of 250mg about a month ago (150mg at night and 100mg during the day) and decided to taper off. I did the tapering in 25mg steps, managing the day and night down in rote. Once reduced I try to stay on that dosage for 5-7 days.

I finally stopped completely 8 days ago. The last few days of the tapering were bigger jumps (from 50mg to nothing within days) because I was really suffering from the pain.

Since then I've had the dizziness / headache pain (rather like drunk) every OTHER day without fail. It's really bizarre. It's almost as if my head is timed to react every 48 hours.

does anyone have experienced of coming off this drug? Is this 'rebound anxiety' I'm experiencing, or 'withdrawal effect'?

hanshan
03-11-12, 03:46
Hi Headinthecloud,

It's often difficult or impossible to distinguish withdrawal symptoms from rebound anxiety, although the longer the symptoms persist, the more likely they are to be a recurrence of the original symptoms. Some doctors recommend very slow withdrawal (eg three months) from highly psychoactive medications.

WolfieKate
05-11-12, 15:57
Hi

I hope you're doing OK. From what i read online some people come off this drug no problem and some really suffer. I have had an awful reaction to taking it and I wished I had never touched the stuff.

I hope your withdrawal is going well.

fozzy is crying
05-11-12, 16:07
I have been on this for over a year as a migraine preventative now, but initially for GAD.

At first I was on 150mg a day and it was so effective with no problems. After five weeks my dosage was doubled and I had so many problems with it. It was then put back after I discussed it with my Doctor to 150mg a day and straight way the problems with it went.

As with a lot of medications and it an individual thing getting the dosage right can make or break its effectiveness and usefulness.

Gordon