PDA

View Full Version : Analyzing and "checking in"

bananas13
04-10-12, 01:44
Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I just need to know if I'm crazy...

My anxiety comes from my habit of over-analyzing emotions and thoughts to the point that its ruining my life! For example, I'll be watching TV and I'll periodically stop and think "how's my anxiety right now? Am I happy? How do I KNOW if I'm happy or not? Why do I care?" And it just spirals from there... I'm constantly checking in with myself trying to decide whether I'm happy or not.

I also constantly think about weird things like "where do thoughts come from? Why do I care where thoughts come from? OMG I'm crazy because I'm thinking about thinking and it gives me anxiety!"

I'm convinced that I'm completely mad and that I'm the only one who thinks like this and gets anxious over things that normal people don't even think about. I could use some support... :weep:

Supersal1984
04-10-12, 06:55
Sounds like you have an overactive mind like me! Do you have a busy job? It can train your brain to constanly work and it just needs to gently be trained out of that x

BobbyDog
04-10-12, 07:33
Try not to worry too much Kaylee Marie, I have a very analytical mind and it has always been so. I am constantly checking my emotions, "am I anxious? if not why not? am I happy? why am I happy?" etc. My mind is running constantly parallel to what ever is taking up my time at any given moment.

You are not alone.

cazmayov
04-10-12, 21:02
Here a meditation video I have found. It helps you to relax. Here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgUAfkAdoWA)

loopylu86
04-10-12, 21:05
Totally normal. I feel like I have a constant headache from my constant thoughts. Even as I am typing this..there is always an underlying thought of me checking "how I am feeling" "Do I feel normal" "Do I feel anxious/dizzy/disconnected" even on days like today when I went out shopping etc....I still spent the time out checking how I felt..I was stood in front of the dvds at one point and instead of looking at them...I was looking at the floor checking that it wasn't moving...

pennypanic
04-10-12, 22:02
Yeap, same thing here. I have to have something to bother my mind always...Did I lock the door before I left?Have I fed my dog?Am I feeling dizzy? No you are not crazy...Just control freaking and overanalysing,I was always like that since I started university. Even if I drunk the same amound of booze with my friends,they were getting drunk and I was just feeling kind of a little bit relaxed and happy.I never let my self faint of drinking,throwing up etc because I never wanted to be burden to someone. So yes beside substances and everything, we control our minds and our subconscious controls our body.

Stormsky
04-10-12, 22:06
I used to do the same..made me feel physically sick.....you have to learn to stop checking in so much... It's hard but the less you try and avoid it, the more natural it stops happening...

bananas13
05-10-12, 19:12
I'm glad I'm not alone! To elaborate a little, I have trouble focusing on things -- like reading -- because I can't seem to get out of my head and focus on anything other than my thoughts. It's frustrating. I've been trying to practice mindfulness, but it's hard when you're stuck in your head all the time.

Does anyone have any tips or coping skills?

Sparkle1984
05-10-12, 20:52
I do the same thing as well - my mind is very active and I sometimes find it hard to just switch off. I've been practising mindfulness as well (by using mindfulness MP3s). It does take quite a bit of practice to get used to it, so don't be disappointed or put off if it takes a while to become effective. For the last few nights, I've been listening to relaxation/mindfulness MP3s every night before I go to sleep, and I've found that my concentration has been improving gradually.