PDA

View Full Version : Scared of agranulocytosis

uk23
04-10-12, 21:22
I've recently started taking Mirtazapine and know this is a possible, but rare (0.10%) side effect. It's driving my health anxiety absolutely wild.

On the PIL that comes in the box it says it's possible but then after a quick search I find an article which says, after reviewing the statistics, it seems very unlikely it's connected.

http://www.aafp.org/afp/1999/0915/p1101.html

Dr. Hartmann also indicated that agranulocytosis occurs in approximately one in 1,000 patients who are treated with mirtazapine,1 which is no higher than the incidence of agranulocytosis with the use of other antidepressant agents. To be more precise, postmarketing surveillance reports have demonstrated that agranulocytosis is rarely associated with use of mirtazapine. Only six cases of agranulocytosis in approximately 2 million exposures have been reported worldwide (Organon, Inc., unpublished data, 1999).

Does anyone have any reassuring words? I know the symptoms to look out for are a fever, sore throat or any sign of infection. I don't think i have a sore throat and my temperature seems to be more or less normal.

Really anxious :(

---------- Post added at 21:21 ---------- Previous post was at 21:04 ----------

I know I shouldn't read the info leaflet but I always do.

---------- Post added at 21:22 ---------- Previous post was at 21:21 ----------

Think I will stop taking them now. What is the point of a medication which makes me anxious to take it due to the a side effect being something I am scared about.

Stormsky
04-10-12, 22:13
I wouldn't worry.. You have more chance of being hit by a bus than getting it....
I'm sure people that take mirt will reply and reassure you.

uk23
05-10-12, 18:22
Stopped taking the pills, flushed them. That was the last hope for medication.

nomorepanic
05-10-12, 18:45
I hope you didn't literally flush them down the loo :ohmy:

I am sure you took them back to the pharmacy for safe disposal :winks:

If you don't want to go the medication route you don't have to. I chose not to and went the self-help, therapy route and that has worked for me.

uk23
05-10-12, 18:48
I have tried the medication route for 10 years with no being effective. This is the least time I have taken a pill, normally I give it at least 3 months before seeing if its working and speaking with a psychiatrist. The NHS wont offer any more options and there is a funding problem in the area. That's it, guess im stuck like this.

Stormsky
05-10-12, 18:50
I don't take meds, I work on lifestyle and diet...exercise, eat properly..and like Nic said therapy...

uk23
05-10-12, 18:51
I've reached a mental point where making small changes does nothing. I think it's time to be an inpatient for a while.

nomorepanic
05-10-12, 18:55
Self help Piers. There is loads you can do for yourself as well.

uk23
05-10-12, 19:02
I've tried Nicola, I really have.

nomorepanic
05-10-12, 19:06
Sometimes we have to go back to basics and start again as things we tried before never worked the first time but may do the second time.

Have you had any CBT treatment at all - I can't remember?

uk23
05-10-12, 19:27
I'm already at basics. I've had nearly 100 CBT sessions over the last few years. It just seems my brain doesn't respond to anything. My OCD and Depression have already been labelled as medication-resistant by the psychiatrist and CBT has only made me worse (tried 3 different psychologists for it) and there are no other options from the NHS in the local area. The only thing keeping me from being an inpatient is the gloves I get prescribed for my OCD (200 per day). Without those I wouldn't be able to do anything, eat, drink, or even really move.