PDA

View Full Version : Globus Hystericus

dph
06-08-06, 11:46
Hi everyone,
Has anyone whom has suffered from this annoying feeling of a lump in your throat, which increases as soon as you feel a little anxious, had any success by using herbal remedies like Ignatia etc. I'd appreciate some ideas.

Thanks, Darcy.

Kate Naomi
06-08-06, 13:30
Hi Darcy,

I have it too, it comes and goes and I really hate the feeling. I have not tried any herbal remedies but I have heard that xanax helps. Personally I have not tried it as I am trying to keep away from as many meds as possible!!

Let me know if the herbal stuff helps.

Thanks

Kate

jackie
06-08-06, 13:49
darcy i have had this many times and i assure you that there is only one cure for this harmless but annoying symptom of anxiety. and that is ignoring it. simple as that. if only simple meant it was easy!

claire weekes in her book mentions this symptom often and she believes that the only way to get rid of it is to not care or fear it, so hard i know but i promise you it works

hope this helps

jackie

Daisybun
06-08-06, 13:59
Hi darcy, I agree with jackie, i had it last year for about 4 months. When i was busy and distracted i didn't notice it at all. As soon as i relaxed it went away!

Take care
Daisybun

'This too will pass'

mia0621
06-08-06, 21:26
<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">Hi everyone,
Has anyone whom has suffered from this annoying feeling of a lump in your throat, which increases as soon as you feel a little anxious, had any success by using herbal remedies like Ignatia etc. I'd appreciate some ideas.

Thanks, Darcy.

<div align="right">Originally posted by dph - 06 August 2006 : 11:46:11</div id="right">
</td id="quote"></tr id="quote"></table id="quote"> Yes Darcy, I have had globus hystericus. It is a very uncomfortable feeling. I finally got over my fear of it. As soon as you relax or concentrate on something else it goes away. It is strictly tension.

Mia

mia0621
06-08-06, 21:29
<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">Hi Darcy,

I have it too, it comes and goes and I really hate the feeling. I have not tried any herbal remedies but I have heard that xanax helps. Personally I have not tried it as I am trying to keep away from as many meds as possible!!

Let me know if the herbal stuff helps.

Thanks

Kate

<div align="right">Originally posted by Kate Naomi - 06 August 2006 : 13:30:38</div id="right">
</td id="quote"></tr id="quote"></table id="quote"> I don't really like taking drugs either. I have been feeling just awful, but I have still been putting off the meds. I am afraid of getting hooked.

Mia

Monkey Peaches
11-08-08, 09:48
i have been suffering from this for 6 years now. my mind takes a simple and natural reflex like swallowing and turns it into a seemingly lifethreatening laboring burden of a death trap. at one point i was on a strictly liquid diet for 4 months. i could not swallow food, even if i chewed it until my jaw hurt. if i saw something so delicious i would go insane! sometimes i would chew good food just to taste it, then spit it into the trash can, depriving my poor stomach and body of any real nutrition. my mind basically tells my throat to STOP working anytime i swallow, ESPECIALLY when i am eating. i had a bad experience with choking in school, but this started when i 'thought' i had a piece of chicken caught in the back of my throat. one night i just came home from work and had chicken, and called 9-1-1 because i felt like 'one false move and my airways are blocked'.. about a week later i thought i shrugged that off until i was eating a sandwich. i went to swallow and noticed that i couldnt 'pull the trigger'.. the food was on the back of my tongue ready to go down, but my throat just said forget it, PLUS i was holding my breath (anytime this happens, my breath is automatically held and i cannot breathe!) so the only thing i could think of was to cough hard so i could breathe again, and the chewed up sandwich flew all over the floor. ever since that day, my mind has ATTACHED the feeling of severe panic and anxiety everytime i try to eat. i can drink only in continuous gulps. if i try to sip something, it reacts the same way, therefore i cannot eat soup or drink anything hot. i have to manually get my throat in rhythm which in turn allows me to gulp. but as far as a one shot swallow, i cant do it. often times out of nowhere i even have trouble swallowing my own saliva. the thought that i am about to swallow or eat scares me to death. i have not eaten at a restaurant in YEARS. i tried it once but it didnt work. the natural feeling when the waitress/waiter is coming is 'mmm here it comes' but i felt more like a person on death row with the electric chair coming to them..

i have been to a dozen doctors, have tried many meds, i search online for breathing techniques and all that. i know i have anxiety disorder and have had it for a long time. i can live with the anxiety, but i HAVE TO do something about the swallowing so it can go back to normal. i have prayed to God for help. the doctors i have seen treat this like common anxiety. they just cant understand that all i want to do is swallow like i am supposed to! ive been through hypnosis, ive had endoscopy, Qeeg, and those tests where you drink that chalky stuff to test if your throat muscles are functioning properly. physically, i am fine. but emotionally i cannot take this anymore!

audio tapes, video tapes, breathing techniques, therapists that dont understand, telling me to cut down on caffeine and useless information when all i need is to RE-TRAIN my throat but i have no idea how. i have unconsciously 'learned' to lean over and put my hand over my mouth every single time i swallow. i cannot live like this! been like this for 6 years and it is pure hell. sometimes i even consider killing myself thats how hopeless it seems. i can NEVER eat alone because i always need someone around in case i choke. it is the worst feeling in the world to not have any control whatsoever over one of your common daily VITAL bodily functions.

i would get down on my knees and kiss the feet of anybody that would be able to successfully make this swallowing problem of mine disappear. i have done endless research on anxiety symptoms and all that, but i have yet to find a single article anywhere that goes in depth and emphasizes MY problem to a point of actually doing some good.. i am now 27 years old and my early 20s simply got flushed down the drain because of this. i will never get them back. i have been popping pills after pills trying everything there is. have had so many Rx written by different doctors, even anti-schizo meds! Xanax helps me alittle bit. it brought me out of that 4 month 'death diet' where i lost 80lbs but it only masks the problem temporarily and it will always be there unless i can find a way to get rid of it permanently! if somebody knows anything concrete and not repetetive (trust me, 6 years is a long time to suffer from something and i have read just about every website that is on the web about it and NOTHING helped. not to mention all the doctors who tell me the same thing) PLEASE help me!

my current Dr. told me i need neurotherapy which i cannot afford right now. i have NO social life. dont go on dates. going out to eat is NEVER on my agenda (i used to love to eat) because i dont feel like attempting to choke myself to death, especially in public.

my current state is horrible. i ONLY eat one meal a day and that is within 30 minutes of waking up, while my mind is still sleep-tranced. aside from that, it is hopeless. the fear and anxiety of this is destroying everything about me and i am desperate.

shelly438
17-08-08, 08:20
Hi Hunny

I know how your are feeling!

My anxiety started about eight - ten weeks ago, I get this everyday! Sometimes I swear somethiung is stuck in my throat, Its feels tight or that food is caught! It so annoying! However I can still eat with no problem no chocking gagging etc!

I also have acid reflux which is making me keep googling and now ive managed to convince myself I have a hital hernia..........blah blah blah and so the story goes on. I have never vomited and the lump sensation was NOT helped by the PPI med that I was taking for the acid reflux so Im trying to comfort myself that this is just another symtom of anxiety also get the following-

Stiff Neck
Heavy ness in chest - (like food is stuck)
Back pain (up the top)
Shaking legs
Shaking feeling inside
Acid Bups and constant Burping
Brain CONsTANTLY telling me something is wrong and DR is missing it
Cold head sensation which travels down my arm
Tingly Face
Clenching teeth
Mild headaches
Pain under each breast (like mild stabbing pain)

And so the list goes on and on and on. I have spoken to my DR and im taking Citroplam 20mg, Been almost two weeks and I have still not seen any improvement. Ive managed to stay at work (i dont know how) But by no means do my symtoms rest when im there. x x Lets beat this together! x x

alexis
17-08-08, 17:22
Hi there are so many of us suffer from this, and as said distraction is the answer, it does get better, trust me, but its not easy,I was obsessed with drinking water just to prove to myself I could still swallow,have a good read about other sufferers with this, take care,xxx

Monkey Peaches
22-08-08, 06:40
if it was that easy, it wouldnt still be a big problem six years later. i cant afford neurotherapy right now but does anybody know of a site that teaches you how to relax your throat muscles???

and shelly438, i have acid reflux also but i take Nexium and it helps alot. ever try those?

Watermelon854
01-09-08, 21:34
I have asthma but I find that I get a feeling of throat tightness on my lower portion of my throat. I haven't been able to eat very well and it worries me because this should not relate to my asthma but it certainly makes it harder to breath. I try not to think about it but its there in the first place and distracting. This certainly worries me.

Any ideas?

rtp123
01-04-09, 05:16
I am a physician who has developed this pain in the *(&^% . I have found that chewing gum seems to keep Globus under control.. has anyone else found gum chewing to be helpful?

Yvonne
01-04-09, 08:52
Lol you're a physician and you're not using a magic medication for the globus!!! Only joking. Yep I think chewing gum helps, or ignoring it, or a good cry.

Robert M
02-04-09, 22:01
I have had globus hystericus symptoms off and on for a number of years, although it has definitely worsened over the last year or so.
It tends to come on at times of stress such as performances/interviews etc.; my main symptom is a throat 'spasm' or gagging feeling which often causes me to be physically sick. I believe it is down to anxiety feelings; unfortunately I too often use alchohol to calm the symptoms down, but I also realise that the alchohol could be fuelling the problem.
My doctor diagnosed globus hystericus and, together with propranolol tablets, she also prescribes diazepam for occasional use when the symptoms are really bad - I find that this helps. I also heard a pharmacist recommend piriton tablets to calm the symptoms as piriton apparently has a mild sedative effect.
I don't know if any of this helps, but I sympathise with anyone who is suffering from this horrible condition.

msheil
07-04-10, 03:57
Here is a website with some throat exercises that might help you.

Pray everyday, Maybe God will hear us all. I also suffer from that feeling. And I cry everyday. sigh... I truly hope you get better soon.

chrislot
07-04-10, 04:10
i too used to have this , among other nasty symptoms of anxiety and depression. Two years ago I was diagnoded with a genetic defect called pyroluria which causes unrelenting, gutwrenching anxiety, as well as histadellia and copper overload which explained everything. I am almost cured. the anxiety is long gone but I still have some issues with motivation. I am unable to post links but there is a lot of info available about these conditions. Finding a trained Dr is the hard part, hopefully our physician member will consider his fellow anxiety sufferers and get trained in the Pfeiffer/ Biobalance method.

Angelai
07-04-10, 22:16
I first had this 19 years ago, whilst eating a packet of crisps. It has stayed with me, sometimes just an occasional thing and sometimes REALLY intrusive. For the last couple of weeks I've had fits of not being able to swallow right when I'm trying to get to sleep. Actually, just happened again while typing :wacko:

Every night, it's getting me down now. And it always happens if I try to eat something in the car (but only if I've got a passenger...)

Ferny
16-04-10, 13:00
Hi, I've just been diagnosed with 'globus phayryngeus' which I understand is a politer term for the same thing. Mine started 8 weeks ago when I swallowed a chunk of apple the wrong way. I still feel exactly as if the apple is still stuck in my larynx - pain, itchy, prickly feelings, a 'flap' moving about that needs to be coughed out but won't budge, and also anxiety, nausea, dizziness, panic attacks, I'm sure you can recite the list.

I've just had my throat scoped for the third time, and for the third time been told there is nothing there!!!

I'm finding it very hard to accept that my throat is 'clever' enough to produce a set of phantom symptoms exactly the same as the real symptoms when I first mis-swallowed the peel. I feel sceptical and confused and still in horrible discomfort.

However, I've no choice now but to follow the doc's advice, which is to sip ice-water, and try not to cough. Tea and coffee unquestionably make it worse (tho I can't bring myself to give them up completely). Anxiety also makes it worse - even tho this was what caused my anxiety in the first place! So I need to calm myself down and stop panicking about it. 'Paramol' painkilllers help, as the codeine calms you down a bit. Diazepam or alcohol, plus my hot meal in the evening, nearly always help it to settle down until the next morning, when it kicks off again. I am worried about getting too dependent on the meds, but feel I have to do what I have to do at the moment.

Oh, and I'm taking manuka honey, which helps a bit. I've been told I should give it 6-8 weeks to clear before 'panicking' (my word) off to the doc again!

My great sympathy to everyone who's suffering... apple peel in throat or not, this is the nastiest health problem I've ever had. Many thanks for all the advice on here.

mad4it
02-05-10, 03:17
For me its a symptom of a panic attack. It is the first thing that happens to me aside the pain in my stomach which for me is where the attack begins. I have on several occasions believed my throat is closing up. As soon as you accept it is a symptom of the panic and not a real threat then you will feel better. I used to carry a bottle of water with me everywhere i went and it was just a way of proving to myself that my throat was working fine. Acceptance is the key here and although frightening at the time it really is only another panic symptom. Try saying to yourself its just a panic attack and it will go away. Panic attacks feed of our fear so try to be strong.

Neen
18-05-10, 17:57
Hi,
(26 yr old female Dental Nurse.... wanting life back! :weep:)

I have just started to suffer from this 'lump' in the throat sensation and it's driving me positivly mad! 11 weeks ago I mad myself Anxious. This was all to do with having my moles checked and thinking I had Cancer. Anyway the wait for the appointment was hell. All down to me 'Googling' Melanoma and convincing myself I was riddled with Cancer - clever huh. I have never been so scared in all my life. I had 3 major panic attacks; I had never, ever suffered from any kind of Anxiety problems and I thought I was going into cardiac arrest. Scary stuff.

Anyway.... all was fine with the moles - just have to keep an eye on them. So I start to feel a little better; however now I had become a really Anxious person with this fear of death. God help me. I've never been so low...... Cut a long story short about 4 weeks ago I started to feel this 'lump' it wasn't everyday and I would ignore it and that was that. Then it would come back and I started to swallow more to try and dislodge this 'flap' 'pill' 'food' DEBRIS from my throat - with no avail. So now I suffer everyday, it gets worse in the evenings, I have relief when I eat - so now I'm eating more!

Symtoms:
Tightness below my Adams Apple.
'lump' moves around - sometimes below Adams Apple, sometimes in my chest - behind the breastbone.
Feeling of always wanting to swallow to dislodge the debris.
Discomfort when it feels as though it's in the chest - feels like a large object is well and truly lodged.
Stiff neck.
Upper back pain.
TMJ pain from clenching teeth............................................

Is this really via Anxiety? I just find it so hard to believe that all this is caused through stress! It's stressing me out! One big revolving circle huh? I went to docs first about the actual Anxiety - was given Diazepam - didn't take them. Went back last week about my throat. Had done allot of research and she knew I wasn't going to be fobbed off; however she did diagnose it as GH. I'm going back this week as it feels worse and I want to take her up on the offer of being referred to ENT/x-ray. She did refer me to CBT, so I'm awaiting that to start. I just want to be my old happy self again. I'm so dumbfounded how powerful the mind actually is. It's amazing really..... HELP!!! Please shed some light on this horrid condition.......

Love and peace

Neen x

snappydresser
21-05-10, 16:07
Hi, I've had this feeling for a few months now and the only way I can describe it is that it feels like I've swallowed a boiled sweet and it's got stuck on the way down! I went to the doctor and have had all the tests all coming back negative. It does come and go and is worse when you think about it. I started taking 1000mg tablet of Evening Primrose oil and a 285mg tablet of Sage leaf once at breakfast and once after dinner. Within four days this lump feeling just went away and hasn't come back. I just wanted to share this as it's a horrible condition and made worse when no one can figure out the exact cause. I would love someone else to try this to see if it works for them as well, I really hope so.

asadsmd
22-05-10, 18:31
hi readers,

I have this lump in throat and it is actually psychogenic probably that is why it is called a globus hystericus and it is a freudian diagnosis.

well please visit this website and try the method given there : may be it helps

:-)

http://quintanamethod.jimdo.com/quintana-method-proceedings/

allboys
24-06-12, 17:25
Hello, I see that these other posts are a bit older...but I am hoping to someone will be able to help me. MonkeyPeaches...you're the closest I see to what is affecting my son. We just moved back to Arizona after living in Oklahoma for 7 years. He is only 8 and is becoming more and more upset each day w not being able to eat any solid foods and minimal liquids. This has been happening for 6 weeks now. He has been to a pediatrician...he just looked at me like I am overreacting and exaggerating. He was able to get me into an ENT and he was able to get a Barium Xray test to see how he is swallowing...he was only able to swallow little bits at a time showing nothing...and on top of that...the Dr that did the test was just impatient and nasty and we ended up leaving w my son in tears and very upset. She tried to scare him into swallowing by telling him they were going to put a tube in his nose and it would hurt. Needless to say...that day was traumatizing.
Here it is 5 days later and we are waiting to hear from the ent on how we will move forward...he was suggesting endoscopy under general anesthesia.

My son is now asking what happened to him and why cant he swallow and tells me how he misses food and remembers how he used to eat chicken strips...and cried yesterday when we went to the movies and he couldnt eat popcorn. This is also stressing for his younger brother who just wants to do normal things. We cant really move forward here until he is able to relax and eat. Ive tried relaxing him w hypnotherapy since I am a certified hypnotherapist...I see that he is relaxed during the session...but wakes up and is like he was w no swallowing. We've tried ignoring and distractions...Ive talked w him about his feelings on moving, he is ok with everything he tells me...he says he is happy. He seems happy...plays xbox and video games on his phone, we go swimming at the city pool, go to movies...he doesnt have any nervous symptoms other than being more emotional than normal...and this in my opinion is because of the current issue w him not being able to swallow.

Im trying my best to be brave and strong for him so he sees that he will be ok. I tell him it will be ok. Yesterday he almost threw up twice because he was so hungry...he said his tummy hurts so bad and he's so hungry. I gave him a boost supplemental drink...and he was only able to take a sip. My heart aches for him.

Someone please help...it's sunday and Im thinking of calling the ent answering service to get this moving along. We are waiting for him to let us know what he will do next.
I asked my son to hang in there till tomorrow and he says he cant.

Anyone with suggestions...MonkeyPeaches are you still suffering???

psbsup
26-08-12, 15:38
I have exactly what you are talking about. Actually I am having it right now! Dating is impossible! It happened in my ex gf's apartment. Ate a little bit of meat, and it felt stuck. Then what happens is you start hiccup a lot and you produce a lot of phelgm. This is the bodies way of helping the food go down. But it does not work. The phelgm just builds up and you need to cough it out. This really did not start until my 30's. In my 20's I would have panic attacks. And did have documented irregular heartbeats on a few occasions. I have always been a nervous, tense, high strung guy. It comes out most socially with women. I always interacted fine with them, but when it came time to become sexual I would have a hard time taking that last step. Or saying that last line like, " let's go back to your place" to close the deal and have sex. This happened all thru my 20's and I had lots of opportunities. There must be 20-30 women out there, I could have and should have slept with but did not. I have thankfully gotten over that hurdle and perform quite well, but I never really learned how to have a relationship. As I have little relationship experience. All of these problems....of course screwed up my concentration and I was not able to stay in medical school. Essentially my life has been downhill ever since. I have been in and out of therapy for years. It has helped somewhat...but I was never really able to get my life back on track when this started happening at age 21. I was fat and socially isolated as a teenager. Had very little interaction with the opposite sex. Then lost the weight, but couldn't handle my opportunities. It just never came naturally to me and always felt awkward. The panic attacks are a symptom of my excessive anxiety, but the worst is this feeling of not being able to swallow. It comes and goes. Happens, a few times a week. It also happens at work if I am under a lot of stress. After a stressful morning I will go down to the cafeteria....as hungry as hell.... bite and then I can't swallow! I have to run for the nearest bathroom and cough it out. I have never been a big fan of eating and making conversation at the same time. I always like to do one thing at a time. I have seen psychs on and off for years. Been on prozac, and anti-anxiety medication. It helps to some degree. I believe we are all wired a certain way. Some people can climb a mountain and other people have a hard time crossing the street. Ofcourse I have had addiction issues....alcohol, percocet, valium. These are all ways of trying to deal with anxiety, depression. Funny thing....most people when they talk to me they don't see anything wrong. They see a smart, funny interesting guy. Yes.... I have learned to hide this.....but women do see my anxiety. And the only girl for me is one who can deal with a guy who is somewhat tense. I haven't found one.