PDA

View Full Version : Need some help please re. Mole

Mogwog
05-10-12, 13:39
Hi Guys

I have a mole on my neck its raised and light brown, had it as long as I can remember. I woke on Tuesday and it was black. It wasn't like this when I went to bed.
I went to drs that day for a review of my antidepressants as am am reducing the amount I take so I can stop taking them. Anyway I showed my lovely dr my mole, she had a look and said moles can sometimes just bleed or blister if you catch them and that she thinks its fine but she will check it again in a month.

Well I am having trouble coping with this damn mole. I've got it into my head that its bad. Its still red ,not black anymore. Its only been 4 days but shouldn't it have gone back to normal by now or does it take longer. There is no scab.

Any reassurance greatly appreciated.

Thank you for reading.

L.xxxx:)

Annie0904
05-10-12, 13:46
Hi if you have knocked it, it could take a while to heal. Doctors can usually tell what type of mole it is. My doc has a little microscope thing that he looks at them with. If you are still concerned I would phone the doctor and tell him how it has changed just to reassure you but if he saw it on Tuesday I am sure it will be fine. :hugs:

lo89
05-10-12, 13:53
If it is a catch on your mole, it would take about as long as it would take a normal skin injury to heal. I had one on my neck and it took over a week. The fact that it is not black any more means it is healing.
Even if it WAS anything dodgy (which I am sure it is not) melanoma tend to be itchy/sore and black, not red. The fact that it is raised does not increase its chance of becoming anything worrisome. Also, I had one like this and the doctor said that even if it did become cancerous, melanoma is the rarest form of skin cancer and the more common ones have very good survival rates, as in 99%, as they very very rarely spread, and since you have just noticed it on Tuesday it would not have had the chance for it to spread yet.
The fact that your doctor said to come back in a month means she expects it to go back to normal within a month. If she expected it to be normal within a few days she would ask you to come back in a week.
I know how hard it is to relax when it comes to moles as you can constantly see them, but I am slowly getting over my mole phobia now :) It was moles which started my HA when I was about 9 as I had to see a dermatologist about one of mines on my scalp and it scared me witless! My current bout of HA started when I got an itchy scalp because of a reaction to hair dye - I thought it was because of my mole!
Try to not pay any attention to it for another few days so if there is any change to it you can see it clearly.