PDA

View Full Version : CT question?

Michael1836
06-10-12, 08:07
Hi, I've been dealing with an impending fear of something deadly in my brain for nearly a month now. I'm going to a neurologist to get an MRI and put an end to this. Hopefully by either him telling me its nothing and its all stress and anxiety related or its something simple that can be fixed surgically or medicinally.

However to help me calm down in the meantime I've tried to rule out the nasties through logic and I have a question. I got these chronic headaches that felt quite new to me accompanied with some visual straining and annoyances.

over the course of 1 month I have had 3 blood tests, a urine test, a CT scan, and been to an optometrist four times trying to get a new lens Rx. all four times they had a look in my eye. Did a GDX (xray) scan once to check my pressures, and another back of the eye scan that I can't remember.

Now the headaches I think I've seen the worst of since they have gone down heaps. They are still their daily, and feel "new" and "unexplainable" and I am dealing with eyestrain and subpar (not extremely, but to me still quite noticeable) vision every day...

but am I right to be able to rule out brain tumor? My mother is a nurse practitioner and my step dad a doctor, whom are both overseas at the moment but are going to have a closer look at me when they get back. They personally checked the CT and the bloods though and when this all started guessed it was sinusitis as i had a mild bacterial infection in my blood. But mum says my white cell count was pretty much normal and that I had nothing to worry about and that if there was anything to be concerned of that she would be making a bigger deal and to trust her judgement.

I have this impending fear that the MRI will pick up something that everything else missed but there is an inner voice that says "come on....how likely is that? think of how much tests and people looking in your eye you've had done over past month...SOMEthing would have shown up by now...besides, you've had eye issues for years and the headaches seem to be diminishing or stabilising...not going away but not getting worse. Plus I read that brain tumor's typically cause you to wake up with severe pain....the mornings are when they seem to be the least noticeable so its all in your head."

All I wanna know is am I right in thinking this? ....sorry if it sounds ridiculous...I googled brain tumor and found it to be too close to what I am feeling....freaked me out a little...lol :/ :doh:

Anxious_gal
06-10-12, 21:41
Brain tumours can cause any symptom really depending on where in the brain it is.
I don't think you need an MRI since you had a CT scan but I would like an MRI for peace of mind : )
But you need to work on the health anxiety too and accept nothing is wrong if the MRI is clear.

almamatters
08-10-12, 09:21
Can totally relate to this. My brain tumour worries started in May, began getting burning side of head, unsteadiness, changes in taste, twitching in eye, feeling sick. Of course goggled and came up with brain tumour was so convinced I had one even told the G.P the type of tumour I thought it was. Had MRI 3 weeks ago which came back clear. Still have some of the symptoms and although tumour has been ruled out, still think I have some terrible illness. The G.P tried to tell me he did not think I had a brain tumour, but it took the Mri for me to believe it and even now still have doubts that something has been missed .Can anxiety really cause all these symptoms?

Annie0904
08-10-12, 09:28
Yes these are all symptoms caused my anxiety so if you have the tests and they are all fine you have to accept it is anxiety. I have headaches, earaches, dizziness but I know it is anxiety as the more anxious I get the worse the symptoms get. Once you have the reassurance from your doctor, accept it is anxiety and think more positive and the symptoms won't be so bad. :hugs: