PDA

View Full Version : citalopram administration

JosephHitch
07-10-12, 09:57
A search to find out whether or not Citalopram is more effective on a empty or full stomach can be an laborious and distressing hill to climb. The leaflet says "may be taken with or without food" but that is some what ambiguous to someone who is not in the industry that may not mean you can take it on a completely empty stomach in the morning etc .I'v rang a number of pharmacist's and afew have told me different things. I just want a concrete answer from an professional source.
Below is a list of different things I have been told

" Take Citalopram atleast two hours after eating to retain a even level in your blood"

" Citalopram is absorbed better on a full stomach as food acts as a buffer "

" citalopram is more effective on a empty stomach as it's absorption is better as it has nothing to work through"

Pipkin
07-10-12, 10:22
I'm not quite sure why you're concentrating on this topic as any variations will be pretty much negligible from the patient's point of view but if you want to pursue it, I would suggest you research the original clinical trial data which included this as one of its study markers.

As a starting point go to http://www.fda.gov/ohrms/dockets/ac/04/briefing/4006B1_07_Celexa-Label.pdf which states:

'Following a single oral dose (40 mg tablet) of citalopram, peak blood levels occur at about 4 hours. The absolute bioavailability of citalopram was about 80% relative to an intravenous dose and absorption is not affected by food. The volume of distribution of citalopram is about 12 L/kg and the binding of citalopram (CT), demethylcitalopram (DCT) and didemethylcitalopram (DDCT) to human plasma proteins is about 80%.'

Pip

mikewales
07-10-12, 12:53
Or just try different ways and see what works best for you, rather than focusing on it so much. It is fine to take before or after food, or on an empty stomach, it really makes no difference, but if you prefer to take it one way then do that. It also doesn't make much difference for most people what time of day you take it, as long as it is around the same time each day

JosephHitch
07-10-12, 15:30
Ok thanks .It's just distressing to be told different things. It gives my anxiety something to cling on to

radoel
07-10-12, 16:11
I think that because you are being told different things there is no definite answer - just do what works best for you. I have found no difference at all with respect to when i take mine