PDA

View Full Version : Intrusive thoughts

Paul7
07-10-12, 16:42
I have been suffering intensely with GAD in the last 6 months. I was first diagnosed with anxiety 14 years ago but always managed to control it. 3 months ago a suffered a slipped disk in my back and have had major stress in work also. Over this period I have gone through every fear possible from
Going mad , szizophenia, to suicidal thoughts. But most recently i have experienced thoughts and fear of harming family members which am finding hard to cope with. I have tried meds and made me 100x worse. I have had CBT sessions but still struggling. Please help is this common

TJSMITH
07-10-12, 17:55
Hi there
I just want to say it sounds normal to me.
I am an anxious person myself always worrying etc but never interfered with my life untIl this year. I had labyrinthitus a virus that causes sudden vertigo, vision and balance problems well two weeks later started having severe anxiety attacks that led to depression.

I went on antidepressants as felt losIng my mind and scared it was turn that I started to be scared of harming myself or My kids but I think this was due to the fear of losing complete control.

I would advice medication but keep busy by surrounding yourself with loved ones it does pass i promise it's just a tired mind playing nasty games x

Stormsky
07-10-12, 18:52
Intrusive thoughts are just thoughts, not actions....they upset you so much because its the opposite of who you are...if you we're the type to harm, the thoughts wouldn't bother you...just tell the thoughts your not interested in them, they are false and you don't want to harm anyone. Don't give them any importance, the more scared you are of them, the more they come.

Paul7
07-10-12, 18:54
Thanks I seem to be wanting to do the opposite and avoid family because of the thoughts. Seriously thinking about meds tried citalpram and felt a lot worse doc wants me to try seroxat but bad press has made me feel worse about taking them.

Stormsky
07-10-12, 19:02
I came off meds over a year ago...I had intrusive thoughts while on meds... Like I said dont fear them, and they'll fade... I always told myself that I'd kill myself before I ever harmed family...and I didn't want to die, so that saw the thoughts off!

loopylu86
07-10-12, 19:37
I am on day 35 of Cit and I feel worse than ever these past few days.

Harley
07-10-12, 21:15
I suffered from intrusive thoughts for 10 years, everything you have mentioned and more. They completely took over my mind, like a constant conversation in my head. Remember, the thoughts are not real, they are not you. They are caused by a high level of anxiety. If you work at reducing your anxiety and not trying to argue or get rid of the thoughts, they will go. It took me ten years to master this because I wasnt confident enough to let the thoughts go as I was sure they were all true. I worked on reducing my anxiety and have now been completely free of intrusive thoughts for almost 6 six years. You can do it and you will recover. Good luck.

neowallace
08-10-12, 06:11
Hi Paul 7

Sorry to hear about your difficulties. I had a similar situation to yourself last Christmas out the blue I started having these types of intrusive thoughts and it can be very frightening. Probably the worst things you can imagine. I have a great family and a son that I love more than life itself. So when I had these thoughts I ended up needing to get help. The help can be anything as long as it is working for you. I had a slip disc 5 years ago and found myself in the house a lot with too much time to think. Similar also last Christmas to much thinking time and my anxiety was already high due to other things. Like the other guys say they will pass when your anxiety drops. I still have them but they don't bother me as much. I wish you all the best ....

Steven