PDA

View Full Version : And then to top it all...

CrimsonKiss
08-10-12, 16:32
...work told me this morning that because I'm not coping with the stress of the job they are letting me go, effective immediately. I'm a contractor, so no say in this.

Bottomburp

Annie0904
08-10-12, 16:36
oh no, really sorry to hear that :hugs::hugs:

MRS STRESS ED
08-10-12, 16:43
awh im so sorry to here this, the trouble some employers are not understanding ,and dont care ,i no my manager has not been supportive to me ,if anything shes added to my worry
she actually asked me why am i like i am, and if i carried on the way i was going i would end up in a mental home yeh thanks for that silly cow just shows she doesnt have a clue and they dont care xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:hugs:

kittikat
08-10-12, 17:08
So sorry to hear that, talk about kick someone when they're down :mad:

Nothing I can say to make you feel better, so sending you one of these :bighug1: and thinking of you xx

fozzy is crying
08-10-12, 17:18
...work told me this morning that because I'm not coping with the stress of the job they are letting me go, effective immediately. I'm a contractor, so no say in this.

Bottomburp

That sucks big time. I know the feeling I was thrown on the scrap heap twenty years ago. For most of the time since then I have found it impossible to get help and support.

It is about time there was an enforced law under Human Rights to stop all the discrimination against mentally and physically disabled people!!!!

What the hell happened to the so called caring society. I was born a couple of months after the national health service was set up in 1948 now for lots of us it the national health disservice.

Gordon

MissHDynamite
08-10-12, 17:22
Sorry to hear Crimson..

I am in the same boat.. I lost my job 4 weeks ago due to my panic attacks. Like you say, kick us while we're down why don't you. And just to add my employer's marriage broke down last year and yes it was me who sat for hours, days and weeks helping him through it.. amazing! I told him to shove the job up his a*se!

fozzy is crying
08-10-12, 17:29
Sorry to hear Crimson..

I am in the same boat.. I lost my job 4 weeks ago due to my panic attacks. Like you say, kick us while we're down why don't you. And just to add my employer's marriage broke down last year and yes it was me who sat for hours, days and weeks helping him through it.. amazing! I told him to shove the job up his a*se!

You could have a good case to fight your dismissal on discrimination grounds. If you can make the sod pay!!!! Go to CAB for advice.

Gordon

Sparkle1984
08-10-12, 22:22
I'm so sorry to hear this. I hate to see people kicked when they're down. :weep: As you're a contractor and not a permanent employee, I'm not sure what redress you have, but as Fozzy suggested it's a good idea to go to the CAB and find out if anything can be done.
:bighug1:

fozzy is crying
08-10-12, 22:25
I'm so sorry to hear this. I hate to see people kicked when they're down. :weep: As you're a contractor and not a permanent employee, I'm not sure what redress you have, but as Fozzy suggested it's a good idea to go to the CAB and find out if anything can be done.
:bighug1:

I was thinking MissHDynamite might be in a better position if she was on a normal contract. However it is worth a look at for anyone in the same boat.

Gordon.

Elle-Kay
08-10-12, 22:38
Sorry to hear that. I walked out of my job (independently, i.e. I wasn't dismissed) in July because my managers proved that they were not prepared to offer me any support in relation to my anxiety, which had started to affect me more at the time due to workplace stresses. Their first action when I was signed off sick with stress/anxiety was to threaten not to pay me statutory sick pay because my Dr's surgery was short-staffed and a day late providing my sick note...

I believe I'm better off out of such an environment, but I know how hard it is to suddenly find yourself adrift (through your choice or someone else's), so :hugs: for you Crimson!

fozzy is crying
08-10-12, 22:43
Sorry to hear that. I walked out of my job (independently, i.e. I wasn't dismissed) in July because my managers proved that they were not prepared to offer me any support in relation to my anxiety, which had started to affect me more at the time due to workplace stresses. Their first action when I was signed off sick with stress/anxiety was to threaten not to pay me statutory sick pay because my Dr's surgery was short-staffed and a day late providing my sick note...

I believe I'm better off out of such an environment, but I know how hard it is to suddenly find yourself adrift (through your choice or someone else's), so :hugs: for you Crimson!

There is such thing in law called "Constructive dismissal" this is where someone has to leave for various reasons such as lack of support. Unless the rules have changed sick notes can go in late and can even be back dated.

Gordon

Elle-Kay
08-10-12, 22:48
Thanks Gordon. I think in this case I was definitely more aware of the legal stance etc than my employer, which is one of the reasons I chose to leave - you can't, for instance, actually threaten not to pay SSP as it is a default right, and is not dependent on the employer receiving a sick note on a set day (as you say, as long as you have one to cover the appropriate dates that is enough). Similarly, I went to a meeting with my manager to hear her response to a grievance I raised about the issue, and took a representative, whom she tried to stop from addressing the meeting (which is also against ACAS guidelines). She just had no idea. I know that I probably could have sued them for constructive unfair dismissal, but chose not to as I wanted them out of my life so I could get on with pursuing my true career (work there was only ever intended to be a stop-gap during my postgraduate education).

CrimsonKiss
08-10-12, 22:56
Thanks for all the kind thoughts folks. All appreciated :)

---------- Post added at 22:56 ---------- Previous post was at 22:53 ----------

There is such thing in law called "Constructive dismissal" this is where someone has to leave for various reasons such as lack of support. Unless the rules have changed sick notes can go in late and can even be back dated.

Gordon

I'm trying to get a back dated sick note tomorrow to try and help with money. I can survive this month only...

fozzy is crying
08-10-12, 22:59
Thanks Gordon. I think in this case I was definitely more aware of the legal stance etc than my employer, which is one of the reasons I chose to leave - you can't, for instance, actually threaten not to pay SSP as it is a default right, and is not dependent on the employer receiving a sick note on a set day (as you say, as long as you have one to cover the appropriate dates that is enough). Similarly, I went to a meeting with my manager to hear her response to a grievance I raised about the issue, and took a representative, whom she tried to stop from addressing the meeting (which is also against ACAS guidelines). She just had no idea. I know that I probably could have sued them for constructive unfair dismissal, but chose not to as I wanted them out of my life so I could get on with pursuing my true career (work there was only ever intended to be a stop-gap during my postgraduate education).

OK Elle but remember if you want to make them pay for what they did you have three years to change your mind. However those suffering from Mental Health issues can get this extended under certain circumstances. Also if they get away with it once they are almost certain to do it again and hurt others who will not have your strength of caricature. I do admire your attitude to so much by the way. I wish I could find your strength.

:bighug1::bighug1::bighug1::bighug1:

Gordon