PDA

View Full Version : All the signs are there.

tulip123
07-08-06, 08:56
Hi.

I seem to be sinking into a state of anxiety again. This happened last year about this time. I find it hard to cope with the holidays I suppose. I keep getting these bad adrenalin kicks which I need to ride through and I feel a little quesey. I tell myself they are only thoughts. All the signs are there again. I am combatting them - Exercise occupation but I would like to enjoy my holidays rather than go through hell again. I have my mind under control but my sub concious keeps trying to thwart me and reminds me by stinging me with these adrenalin attacks. It is especially prevelent when I go to sleep. Anyone in a similar position as me???

Tulip

floyd
07-08-06, 19:25
Snap I'm in the exact situation I ain't had a episode for nearly 2 years now and all of a sudden for no reason it's back again. I work in education and so have the 6 weeks summer hols off so I think with been thrown out of my routine, it's triggering my anxiety...BUT IT AINT GOING TO BEAT ME!! I try to keep busy, have been taking the old herbal stuff, SJW, Omega 3 ect and it seems to be just working but there's always that little niggling feeling in my sub concious of will it come back. I know that if I have a week of been totally anxiety free I'll crack it and say good bye to it for another year or so. WE WILL WIN [8D]

tulip123
07-08-06, 19:48
Yes it is pretty bad today. No it won't continue forever. Its nice to know I'm not the only one. I keep exercising to get rid of the adrenalin which is not helping. Yes it is all about being thrown off routine. Has anyone got any advice about the adrenalin kicks gets from the subconcious before sleep.

Tulip

giddy
08-08-06, 09:19
Hi
I'm in education too and always feel my anxiety creeping up in the holidays. During term time I'm too busy to think,worry about how I'm feeling and so exhausted I sleep well. In the holidays I have too much time (friends and family all at work) on my hands and my mind starts wandering and the negative thoughts start! Ah well, only 4 more weeks!
love Helen

W.I.F.T.S.
08-08-06, 12:52
It sounds to me like you are distracted with work during term time and then when you get some free time the anxiety kicks in. I'm the same, although probably more severely so, because I'm not so bad when I'm actually doing work at work, but when I have a break I start to feel anxious. I'm thinking of going to the canteen during my breaks and watching the tv rather than sitting with people in the smoking area.

I do find it almost impossible to sit and relax. My suggestion to you would be to find 'relaxing' things to do with yourself during the holidays. maybe play sport, learn a musical instrument- something right (?) brained is supposed to be good for allaying anxiety. Hope that helps.

Ships in harbour are safe..but that's not what ships were built for.

tulip123
08-08-06, 14:27
Agreed - distractions are a good thing like a good book and exercise can help. There is a lot of adrenalin pumping around and nowhere to go.

Tulip

May Day
08-08-06, 21:47
Hi Tulip

I have similar problems with the holidays and have dreaded the 6 weeks of summer arriving. I think if you're exercising very hard you might be aggravating the anxiety as your body will be producing even more adrenalin. Gentle exercise will do you some good though so keep moving. Keeping busy will help over come the nauseous feelings too but you also have to learn to relax and be at peace with your thoughts and feelings.

Take care

May

The brightest, sunniest day may follow the darkest, stormiest night

tulip123
09-08-06, 12:28
Hi Mayday.

I was always told that exercise was good for anxiety, burning off that excess adrenalin. If I have a bad turn, when I am running I don't feel as nervous - Also people tell me I need to get into shape. I have a bulging stomach. I always feel under pressure to better myself all the time and I especially feel it in the holidays. Has anyone got some advice on exercise and what kind is good for anxiety.

Tulip

May Day
09-08-06, 13:52
Hi Tulip

Personally i swim but at the moment only once a week, 40 lengths of an olympic size pool but that's enough for me as i'm not in that great a shape lol. I'm fairly slim but also have a bit of a tummy i'd like to firm up. I also do a lot of gardening, not pottering about, but real hard digging, loads of bending, stretching and lifting heavy weights. My poor plants never have a permanent home for very long.

I think most people feel under some pressure to better themselves as there is so much hype around us to do so and to be honest i don't think it hurts to have a few targets or dreams in life.

I don't know too much about adrenaline being burned off but anxiety produces it and so does exercise. Maybe someone else here can help you with that. For me, it's the distraction of doing something that helps relieve the pain caused by too much of it.

I've suffered many symptoms from general anxiety and mild panic attacks over the last seven months but keeping a positive attitude, learning to face my problems and break them down into managable pieces rather than fighteng them or running away from them, and also the support and advice or some good friends has seen me make what i'd say is an 80% recovery.

I hope you find some of what i've said useful.

Take care

May

giddy
09-08-06, 14:26
Have a look at this site, it gives some good advice about exercise and anxiety
love Helen
http://holisticonline.com/Remedies/Anxiety/anx_exercise.htm

tulip123
09-08-06, 15:18
Hi Giddy & Mayday

What you both say makes a lot of sense. I'm a bit churned up at the moment and keeping active is the only way I no how to combat it when you are feeling poor 24/7. I look forward to my runs in the morning as they give me respite. In the evening when the anxiety is at its worse and I start to panic I go for a nice walk. Good job it is summer. I do suffer from Claustophobia and I need to be out as much as possible without straining myself.

I'm also going on holiday later this month and I hate flying (claustophobia). I'm stressed myself out about it last year so much that I nearly didn't go. I did and it was a success. Now I've signed up again and I'm beginning to wish I hadn't!!!!

Ivan

May Day
10-08-06, 14:09
Hi Ivan

If exercise works for you then carry on with it, just don't over do it. Keeping busy and distracted is fine so long as it's not always in a frenzy to mask the pains. The body needs rest as well as work to remain healthy.

You had a very good experience with your holiday last year so keep that in mind when you have doubts this year. Think back to last year and how you felt about it before you went, then think how those doubts were unfounded once you started to enjoy it. Look forward to having some time away to relax and do what ever you want to do. If you're going with friends then talk to them about it before you go as it may help.

Have fun and let us know how you get on

May

tulip123
10-08-06, 14:46
Hi May Day

Thanks for your sound advice. I am balancing my day between rest and activity. I also like reading and I try and focus on activities rather than doing them just to run away from my anxiety (for the sake of it). A good book can do wonders. I also like meditation.

As for flying, I got severly agitated by the news today. Does not make it any better that you are not allowed to take on board any hand luggage. No rescue remedy or nothing. I am trying to calm down and convince myself it will be all sorted by then. My concious mind says one thing but it's the unconcious you have to convince I think.

I'm an old hand at this but I certainly don't like bottling troubles up.

Tulip

tulip123
11-08-06, 17:33
I have had a real low this afternoon. I had to go to bed just to calm down. I felt a lot better this morning and this lunchtime and I took a real dip. Just done some meditation and some breathing exercises. I'm struggling along but just need to express my feelings, turn back the positives and renew some confidence in myself because when I get like this I really hate myself. Its like a time bomb ready to go off.

Tulip

groovygranny
11-08-06, 19:21
Just reading this topic makes me feel like a two-sided coin! On one side I'm so comforted that I'm not the only one feeling like this (I also work in education) and the other side is sorry you're all feeling not so good!

I approached the holidays determined to face going back full-time in September. Then out of the blue had an 'epi' the other weekend apparently for no reason. Since then it's been 'lurking in the background' so to speak. Disturbed, adrenalin filled nights but days are not too bad.

Think this site certainly helps us all not to give in to the 'monster'!!

Thank you everyone!

Lotsa Luv
xxx[:X]

'There are no such things as strangers; just friends we haven't made yet!'

tulip123
11-08-06, 19:34
Don't be despondent. It will pass. Probably I will have a great holiday. Its just now I need contact with people who feel like me.

PS: I would like to say, that as I'm working I find that people don't take my anxiety as seriously as someone who may be off work. i.e Doctor. I love my work but it doesn't me to say I do not have serious blips or problems sometimes.

Tulip

groovygranny
12-08-06, 11:29
How very true!

I've come to the conclusion that our victory lies in fact that although I/we may have to accept that this is part of life now, we don't have to allow it to overcome. We can be with like-minded here knowing we are not alone.

Have a great holiday! [8D]

xxxx

'There are no such things as strangers; just friends we haven't made yet!'

tulip123
12-08-06, 17:23
Hi. Parents phoned about up today. I told them of my woes - anxiety over plane flight and they said in not so many they didn't want to know. (Last year I put them through a lot over this). I don't blame them and they have a lot on there plate at the moment. Its my own fault I put myself through this but you need to aim high - push through and pat yourself on the back afterwards. I just need confidence in myself and know I can achieve this like anything else.

Tulip

May Day
12-08-06, 23:44
I think for people like us who have major changes in our work patterns often fear the change, but it turns out that it's not as bad as we first feared. I prefer to be at work for the mental stimulation and enforced concentration. I find it really hard to read a book at home or concentrate on any one thing for very long, where as at work i can because it's my job to do so. I'm not a workaholic but i do enjoy my job so much. I keep busy at home but know that i can give up at any point and that's not a good thing at the moment as self motivation has become a big issue for me.

tulip123
13-08-06, 10:17
I can totally relate to that Mayday. That is my problem too. I try and set myself targets and give myself a pat on the back for achieving them. I got up this morning without adrenalin for the first time and a very low pulse which was good.

Tulip

May Day
13-08-06, 12:13
That’s a good start to the day for you and I hope you have more good ones to follow. It takes time but the good days will happen more frequently until they overtake the bad ones. Keep your spirits up and your thoughts positive as it helps so much.

Take care

May

tulip123
14-08-06, 20:52
Feeling much better tonight. I had a great afternoon out with a firend - It has put some confidence back into me. I had a few dodgy moments but I feel good this evening. I also woke up for a second day running without adrenalin (unprecendented so near to flying). I hope this continues so I enjoy my holiday. Lots of people have plane phobias. I am not the only one and so I shouldn't loose confidence over it. I hear the situation at the airports have improved too.

Tulip

tulip123
15-08-06, 16:40
I feel even beter today. I had a good driving lesson this morning (I have been learning for 2 years). My test is in October. I cannot believe it. The nearer I get to the holiday the less I dread it. I don't know whats up with me. I usually go awol at this stage and start phoning panic lines: also threatening not to go - causing a mess in my wake. I'm patting myself on the back. Lets hope my last day before I get on that plane is also panic free. I might enjoy this one.

Tulip

May Day
15-08-06, 20:00
Hi Tulip

That's great news for both days. The airport situation seems to be improving so hopefully you won't be held up for ages causing you stress. The way you're going, it seems that you're going to enjoy the holiday and the flight. Stay positive about it all.

Good luck with the driving lessons and the test in October. It's been many years since i passed mine but i enjoy driving so much. I find it quite calming to be out there on the road with no other worries other than concentrating on the roads.

Take care

May

tulip123
24-08-06, 14:54
Just wanted to say. I have had a lovely holiday. I have come back somewhat refreshed. Better to face fears and go ahead with it than shake at home. It's sad to be back in all this rain. Oh well. The plane was scary but not as bad as last year. Perhaps next time I fly it will get even better. Back to work soon!!!

Sometimes things are not as bad as anticipated.

Tulip

manmoor
24-08-06, 17:59
Hi Tulip,

Glad you had a lovely holiday.

Take Care

Mandyxx

May Day
24-08-06, 21:19
Hi Tulip

Well done to you for facing your fears and not letting them ruin your holiday. If you think logically about them, especially if you've faced them before then you know you can face them again. Hopefully flying will never hold the same fear for you again. I'm glad you had a good time.