PDA

View Full Version : Swelling of the t hroat

Caitlyn89
05-06-04, 06:20
I've posted here quite a few times now lol:D everytime there is a new feeling its like ritual i regonize contemplate on it obsess over it and then feel the need for reasurrance from other people so i come and post and literally check it every hour to see new replies.[:I] I was wondering how come so many people read it but you get like 2 replies obviously i understand maybe they have no suggestions but it disappoints me lol that like 23 people have read it and 2 replied. Well anyway on to my reason of posting my throat.[xx(] Ok well my throat hmm ok contemplating on how to explain.....ok im gunna say it sort of feels like there is something blocking it and when i swallow its like it takes so long to go down and then it sort of feels like my throat is tightening. Then its like i have to hold my throat apply pressure on the side i dont know it tends to relax the feelings but its very annoying and stressful. I have previously read that it is a common symptom of anxiety but i was wondering if by chance people do reply could someone lemme know some helpful hints or comments that could shed some light on my abnormality lol. Then something weird happens with my tongue its like dry i suppose (no drinking doesnt help) and its like i dont know cant describe but im suddenly extremely aware of my tongue.:( Is this common? OH LOL one more tinsy thing i wanted to mention [:o)] does anyone feel like there throat is closing particulary when they drink water?? Sounds weird i know well i just wanted some hints on the things stated above. Thank you [:I] (i think im addicted to smileys)
- Caitlyn

Meg
05-06-04, 08:23
Caitlyn ,

This is extremely common and the reason you may not have had many replies is that this is a common question and has been replied to many times previously.
There is a search facility you can use prior to posting a new topic.
The forum has been going a long time so there is lots of resource both within the messages and on the website itself where this is also explained but just for posterity ..

When you get anxious there is muscle in your throat that tightens up giving you thsi feeling of not being able to swallow. Its called globus hystericus and it cannot tighten too much to swallow or breathe.

It goes when you relax so a relaxation CD helps as does exercise as does frequent sips not glasses full of cold water with or without rescue remedy.Some people prefer a hot drink .

Sucking a boiled sweet can help as can a bit of gum which will all stimulate the saliva production .

It is uncomfortable but cannot hurt you.

I hope that helps a bit Caitlyn. Do keep posting and don't get disapppointed.

We like your smileys ..

Meg

'There can only be true courage when first there is genuine fear'

Dr.David Livingstone

Caitlyn89
05-06-04, 20:00
Meg,

Thanks Meg. I've read previous postings about but no one seems to get my thing with my tongue or with water so i decided to make a new topic. Sometimes to much gum upsets my stomach but i will try it. I really want to buy the rescue remedy but my mom wont buy until the doc oks it. I have an insant heart murmur and i am underweight so she wanted to make sure like everything would be ok only problem it takes her forever to do it.

Meg
05-06-04, 22:42
Being aware of part of you that changes like a dry tongue/ mouth is also very common .
The usual amounts of saliva produced drops when we're anxious so we feel that it suddenly all dries up.

Meg

'There can only be true courage when first there is genuine fear'

Dr.David Livingstone

Caitlyn89
06-06-04, 00:54
Thats true. Sometimes it feels like there is to much saliva or its to thick. Make sense?

sadie
06-06-04, 09:17
Hi Caitlyn,

I used to suffer from a tight throat when my PA started. Its due to the muscles in yout throat tighting up. When I got it it used to feel like I had a ball in my throat...obviously I didn't. Once you relax this feeling will disappear. As Meg says it is a common symptom of anxiety and nothing too worry about, your throat will not close!!

Take care

sadie

Caitlyn89
06-06-04, 21:10
Does anyone over salvitate?

april tones
06-06-04, 21:33
hi caitlyn, i think sometimes people only post when they experience same thing or know what your going through, dont take offence. I do that too, i try and post as much as i can to help, take care, love april x

apriltones

nomorepanic
06-06-04, 21:38
Hi Caitlyn

try reading this post too - http://nomorepanic.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=987

I too used to have the BIG tongue feeling - horrid isn't it?

Nicola