PDA

View Full Version : Evenings being difficult this week

Elle-Kay
10-10-12, 20:03
As it says in the title, I seem to be finding evenings more difficult than usual this week. From around 5.30pm onwards my anxiety starts going downhill. I'm not panicking, but I feel like I would if I allowed it to happen.

I don't know what's triggered this, as I had a good week last week, and a good weekend. I've even had good moments this week - like managing to go dancing last night (even if just for a little while). I just feel edgy this week though, and consequently my eating has gone a bit to pot again (I'm back to only eating half of my dinner because I start to feel bloated and anxious so my stomach shuts off).

Yesterday and today have been the worst. I don't know if this is because I'm concentrating on it subconsciously, so am expecting it to happen, or because the daytimes of both days have been out of the ordinary (yesterday was busy, and the heating engineer came, and today my husband has had my car while his is being MOT'd so I haven't had the freedom to get out & about)...?

I don't know what to do with myself at the moment though, and it's starting to get me a bit down. I've been distracting with my knitting, or some sewing, and last night while I was dancing I felt great - happy even - but it's these times when I'm in the house waiting for bedtime to roll along that are becoming hard work :lac:

fozzy is crying
10-10-12, 20:05
:bighug1::bighug1::bighug1::bighug1:

Annie0904
10-10-12, 20:07
I am the same last week, last night I went to bed and cried and not feeling so good tonight. My husband is away all week so that doesn't help. It gets worse when the nights are getting darker.

---------- Post added at 20:07 ---------- Previous post was at 20:06 ----------

* that should say this week...see how confused I am :)

loopylu86
10-10-12, 20:11
Awww sorry you're having a crappy week...but that's just it..a phase. It won't always be like this. I think due to having been busy you may on some level just be waiting for the anxiety to return. I get this all the time..yesterday I was anxious so stayed in bed all day and didn't leave the house all night and had a really calm and peaceful evening...today however after feeling good on waking (due to the good night) I got up and dressed,visited my mum and popped to the shop etc but after my little home visit tonight I am feeling quite doomy and anxious. I just tell myself it is just a phase and it will pass!!!

Elle-Kay
10-10-12, 21:05
Thanks guys for your support :) As usual, I'm feeling a little better (temporarily at least!) just from sharing my thoughts with you all, and reading your replies. I've also been and written in my blog, to stop the thoughts pinging around in my mind with nowhere to go, and I feel a bit more back on track from thinking things through as I was typing. I've decided that it's all about learning not to sit it out when life invites you to dance :)

Laura123
10-10-12, 21:54
I get like this too, its 2 steps forward and 2 steps back isnt it, i think when we are constantly exposing ourselves to the things we are scared of, well, it tires us out, i find following a great day, i get down days too, its going to take time. Also, dont put too much pressure on yourself to feel great every day, even folk who dont
suffer anxiety dont have great days every day. xxxxx

paranoidtree
10-10-12, 22:20
i'm glad you are feeling a little better. i think it does get harder with the darker nights, i've noticed this recently too. like today i had a good day but this evening has been harder.

Anxious_gal
10-10-12, 22:25
I think it's natural for humans to be more alert/anxious once the sun goes down.
My anxiety is higher after dark.
I hate walking alone too after dark lol it's a lot more scary!

Elle-Kay
10-10-12, 22:52
I hadn't thought of it like that Anxious Gal, but I suppose you are right - we are naturally more alert/anxious in darkness because our ancient instincts know that there could be greater danger in darkness. Thank-you :)

Annie0904
10-10-12, 22:55
When my husband is away I have to admit...I have started to leave the landing light on. I often have nightmares so it is not quite so bad if I wake up and see some light.

Elle-Kay
10-10-12, 23:02
**Tangent alert** lol
I used to sleep walk when I was little, and though I've grown out of the actually getting up and walking around the house thing, I have had recurring "waking dreams" for as long as I can remember (certainly as long as I've been anxious). They mostly happen when I'm stressed, and nearly always involve either something being in the bedroom with me (often animals - I've reported mice crawling up the wall, and snakes on the curtains to my husband before now lol), or occasionally me being somehow asleep in the wrong house. I am consciously aware enough during these episodes to believe that I'm awake, and that it's real, but am obviously not fully awake as (of course) I realise it's not real once I get up to ask hubby to catch the mouse/lizard etc. :roflmao: Consequently (and getting back to the point) I prefer there to be some light in the room/nearby to help me come back to reality a bit quicker, and usually leave the TV on standby so there is the standby light to "ground" me.