PDA

View Full Version : Air & Lungs

meche
12-10-12, 10:25
I haven't posted in a while because I've been doing great. My anxiety symptoms have been bad this year but when I went on holiday a month ago they disappeared and haven't been back since :yesyes:!

However........! I haven't been or felt anxious at all this week but for the past 2 days I've had trouble with my breathing. This came on very suddenly. I can only describe it as feeling like I'm not getting enough air into my lungs. Every few minutes I'm taking huge breaths to fill my lungs or yawning. This helps temporarily but I go round in circles. The left side of my chest feels uncomfortable and a bit tight. I don't feel ill, have no pain, no cough or phlegm and I don't and have never smoked. I remember having an episode like this a few years back and going into panic mode and almost passing out. My question is; is this an anxiety thing? I wasn't anxious to begin with and I'm trying not to freak out but it's a horrible feeling. xx

Annie0904
12-10-12, 10:41
It sounds like anxiety to me. I do the same with yawning (lack of oxygen form anxiety and panicking) and taking deep breaths, feeling chest pains...all anxiety related.

meche
12-10-12, 11:05
Thanks for your reply Annie - I wasn't anxious to begin with but I probably am a bit now because the feeling that you can't breath properly is scary! I'm trying to ignore it and not take deep breaths but immediately I go into an automatic yawn because my body is sensing it isn't getting enough oxygen. I don't understand where it's come from. The only other symptom I've had for the past week is fatigue. Not overly tired but just a complete lack of energy which isn't like me at all. I've really struggled to get through my days this week. Someone suggested I may be anaemic but I don't see the connection with shortness of breath. Just hoping it goes away because the more I focus on it the worse it seems. xx

Annie0904
12-10-12, 11:22
I know that's the thing...the more you focus on it the worse its gets. I just feel exhausted all the time with it.

michellemoo
12-10-12, 21:10
Hi I'd just like to say that if you are low in B12 it can definitely make you short of breath and tired,I have to have injections every 3 months because of b12 deficiency and I had your symptoms before it was diagnosed, maybe u could ask fora blood test to check

meche
13-10-12, 00:27
Thanks. Sorry if I appear naive but what is B12 deficiency? Is there something I can do to up my levels? My diet is varied & I don't eat alot of junk food but I go through phases when I feel completely exhausted. xx

michellemoo
13-10-12, 20:50
B12 is obtained from our food that we consume but sometimes our body cannot absorb it

---------- Post added at 20:50 ---------- Previous post was at 20:48 ----------

It's so easy to get it checked just a blood test

GunMetal
13-10-12, 21:36
Hi Meche. I actually agree with whoever suggested anaemia. I have had it on and off for years and I do tend to know when I'm low on iron now as I get the same symptoms you're suggesting.
Feeling out of breath in the way that you feel your not getting enough oxygen can be linked with anaemia. Something to do with your red blood cells although its not harmful it's just a feeling. I also feel very tired with it. If you want reassurance then you could visit your gp for a simple blood test. Or maybe just try some iron tablets for a week or so and see if they help? No harm in trying!

Hope you feel better soon
Jenni xxx

meche
14-10-12, 19:09
Thank you Jenni, I felt better yesterday but feel really run down again tonight & my breathing is all over the place. Also had a horrible metallic taste in my mouth earlier to the point I thought I had blood in my mouth! If it still persists over the next few days I'll make a doctor appt but want to avoid it if possible. The left side of my chest is starting to hurt now because I'm taking such deep forced breathes. Starting to freak me out a bit which doesn't help! xx