PDA

View Full Version : Scared about wife and if she has thyroid or other cancer

robin321
12-10-12, 13:56
I was on here last for my own battle with a lymph node in my neck, and it was very hard. I have managed to stay away for a many months but I am back because I am scared about my wife.

My wife had a bad sinus infection 2 months ago. She never took antobiotics. She developed a small, unmoveable, lump under her ear. It is close to the skin. The Dr thought it was a cyst and sent her for an ultrasound two weeks ago. I wasn't worried since I knew she was sick.

She went for her annual checkup yesterday. The cyst is actually a reactive node. The Dr wasn't very sympathetic when she asked if it was cancer. He just said the only way to know was to do a biposy.

Then he went over her blood work, which she did around the time of the ultrasound. He said her thyroid was 'out of whack' and she would have to get it scanned. She also had blood in her urine, so had to have that tested again.

She came home in tears. I saw his referal for the ultrasound, and it said 'elevated TSH' and 'swollen cervical lymph nodes'. So I looked it up, and of course thyroid cancer comes right up. I should also mention she started having problems swallowing when she was sick. It is not constant, and comes and goes. She also feels like she has mucus, and needs to clear her throat. Of course these are also symptoms of cancer, and if the symptoms are that strong, advanced cancer.

She had the u/s for the thyroid yesterday (we were lucky, and I got an appt same day). She was nervous because she said the technicial looked uncomfortable. And at the end of the appt, he said he had to go to talk to the radiologist. He said he normally does not do that, but for lymph nodes he has to. He left, and came back quickly and said she could leave.

I am so scared. I am trying to think positive. I know some conditions other than cancer can cause similar symptoms (i.e hypthyroid). I am hoping the fact that she got to leave when he saw the radiologist might mean that everything was ok and so the radiologist didn't need to come in and the pics were ok.

I was lucky when I had my second ultrasound. They told me everything was ok. But I know they won't always do that.

Anyway, given everything I am very scared. Any words at all would be nice since I don't have anyone to talk to about this. When I had my node, I could talk to my wife. But now I don't want to scare her or make her feel worse. I wish it was me and not her.

justina
12-10-12, 15:54
I understand you are worrying, byt I also believe that if something looked bad during the ultrasound, they would have checked her several times, different persons... If they just sent her off it was probably ok!

robin321
12-10-12, 17:34
Thanks Justina. It helps to hear from someone else, since I am keeping everything inside. Luckily I was able to get an appt with my Therapist today (in a few hrs). I have been in CBT since Feb, and it has helped somewhat.

I am hoping the Lab Guy just left to confirm eveything was ok, and he could let her go. I hae Crohns, and I know when I had some unusual findings on my xray, the Radiologist actually came in and took over the test. My wife is just scared, because she saw the Radiologist eating lunch when she left. So she is scared that the Lab Guy wanted him to come in, but he wouldn't cause he was eating. When my wife left, she asked if everything was ok and the Tech just said 'I only take the pictures'. But he must have some idea? : (

Anyway, I don't know if Dr's, nurses, etc.. know how much we read into their every expression, and speech patterns.