PDA

View Full Version : My Recovery From Diazepam And Ativan

Edward_1980
12-10-12, 22:11
I was put in 20mg Diazepam and 3mg Ativan daily two years ago due to chronic anxiety. When taking the pills I felt great and I thought that all my problems had disappeared. I was sedated up to the eyeballs and I didn't worry about all my problems because I had the pills to get me through the day. When my Mum died, I was also put on Xanax to deal with the pressure of the funeral. I thought I was in heaven. Yeah, my Mum had just died, but I was more interested in when I could next take a pill. I'm not saying for one minute that I didn't love my Mum or anything, I love her to bits, but that "extra" help got me through the few days with the funeral and everything. I didn't get off of the pills a year down the line my partner got a job offer in Dublin (Ireland). I was delighted because I thought a change would do me good. We did move to Dublin and I thought everything was fine. My old Doctor in Cork was faxing my meds through. Yes, this really was amazing. I was getting the peace and quiet I craved for so long. But, as I have already said, my old GP in Cork was faxing the meds over. I was delighted until I discovered that he could no longer do it. I didn't manage to find a Doctor at this stage and I had to be seen by a Psychiatrist before any Doctor would even consider taking me on. I finally went to one and with the help of a letter I did manage to get a GP, but I was also linked into the Psychriatrist services. To make a long story short, they weened me down over an eight week period that I couldn't handle. I began to sink into an almighty depression that saw me having an attempt on my life. I began keeping pills behind and stashing them in the house in a bottle. One day, while my partner was at work, I took 20 Diazepam (5mg) and collapsed in the bathroom. My partner returned homd and found we well and just spaced out. He called my mental health nurse and he and the Doctors decided that it would be best if I went in for a while. I spent ten days in the hospital doing Occupational Therapy and really getting to know myself. After the hospital stay I was once again weened down. It took exactly ten weeks and right people to get me off of the addictive pills. It was worth it. Despite the set back and me going to hospital, things are going well. I beat the addiction to Valiun and Ativan and I am proud to have beat the addiction. I hope this will encourage people to seek help if they are going through the same addiction,

Edd
:)

BobbyDog
13-10-12, 07:28
Well done Edward for posting your story of addiction to Benzodiazepine's. I know GP's still hand out these tablet's far too readily. I don't think that some people realise how addictive and soul destroying they can be with long term use. I have taken them on a couple of occasions and they took my anxiety away completely, I felt like a "normal" human being for a few hours, but reality is such a different story.

Tufty
13-10-12, 08:41
Thanks for sharing Edd (great name by the way - it's my sons name). I think the benzos do have a place but your story has highlighted that they are not for continuous use.
I wish you well on your recovery x

bernie1977
13-10-12, 12:34
Well done Edward, I have read stories about how hard it is to recovery from benzo addiction. It sounds to me like you were weened off them far too quickly and suffered a great deal as a result of this. Glad you're ok now xx

Edward_1980
13-10-12, 19:40
Thanks guys,

I am a lot better without them. Yes, some days can be hard, but I work through them with the new coping skills I have learned and I don't need to resort to sedatives any more to make myself feel better. I knew nothing about addiction until it was too late. Things are a lot better now and I wouldn't take them again for anything. I went through too much trying to get off of them to ever want to take them daily again :)