PDA

View Full Version : What would happen if I stop takng Citalopram?

hannah26
13-10-12, 12:31
I'm just wondering I'm not saying that I will but I can't see a way out of this! They just don't seem to be working for me and I don't think I can stick it out for another 2 1/2 weeks!
I just don't feel like they will work ever, I can't do it!!
At the moment I feel like I will never be normal again, its to much they are supposed to make me feel better not worse like this.
How do I lower my dose when I'm on 10mg as it is!!
Hannah x x

loopylu86
13-10-12, 12:44
I was on 10mg for 35 days and didn't see much improvement. Maybe you need to up the dose? I am now on day 6 of 20mg and already feeling better. You will not always feel this way Han!! xx

hannah26
13-10-12, 12:59
Hello Loppylu86,

Thankyou for your reply. I just feel like I am in a really scary dark place and cant see a way out. Its terrible, I have a Drs appointment on Monday so I am going to ask to up my dose to 20mg. I was on 20mg a few years ago and I feel perfect, no side effects, no anxiety it was like I had never had anxiety.
I know I will get better, or at least I hope I do. Its just very hard to see it at the moment.

Thank you again
Hannah x x

loopylu86
13-10-12, 13:04
I feel that way everyday too. The scary thoughts and sensations are all just heightened from the cit. I was exactly the same..they are easier to manage and dismiss now. You are still really early into the medicine and it will not be working at it's full capacity yet. I'm still not there with the meds yet either but can already tell that the higher dose is working. It is making it easier to do the little things. I couldn't even get up to pee my anxiety was that bad. In my darkest moment I was thinking about how I had no choice but just to pee the bed. I was really that scared to move. I didn't of course but I was that scared. The thoughts and just that dread and doom emotion that you get with your universe thoughts. It's hell. I really can relate to how scary it is. Scary is just an understatement. It feels like you are on a loop of terror. It WILL get better!!!!!!! xx

hannah26
13-10-12, 13:07
Thank you Loppylu.
I really needed to hear that. I hate that we have this, it just doesnt seem fair sometimes but then it could be a lot worse I guess.
Can I ask what was it like to up your dose? Did the side effects get worse?

Hannah x x

loopylu86
13-10-12, 13:11
No they haven't luckily!! I think because I was about a month in that it wasn't too bad a change. I did get hot cheeks and anxiety but it wasn't anything worse than what I am normally experiencing. As long as you can keep the knowledge of the fact that you are just riding it out before it gets better...then it's easier. It isn't fair at all. You're completely right but...we are the only ones that can make ourselves well again. Keep as positive as possibly ok? This is not a life sentence. Do you still go out etc? xx

hannah26
13-10-12, 13:17
Oh thats good to hear, I have been on Cit for about 3 weeks 4 days so hopefully going up wont be to bad for me either.

I go out during the day shopping etc but I havent been out with the girls for a while. This has literally only been like this for the last three weeks. Before that I had anxiety, health anxiety, but I went out, went drinking, bbqs and felt fine.
Its so weird. Hopefully it will pass soon. I am starting CBT on thursday I have had the initial meeting and then I start proper on Thursday. I am looking forward to it!!

Do you go out and things?
Hannah x x

Mick081081
13-10-12, 13:36
Hiya,
Stick it out and stay patient it's all normal. For some reason Cit makes you feel worse before it makes you feel a damn lot better. Go up to 20mg it's the therapeutic dose.

I started in February on 20 then down to 10 and stupidly last week ditched the lot, big mistake so I'm back on 15 now!

It works but the start up is a terror ride I was terrible it made my anxiety at least 10 times worse for the first month but now I suffer with no anxiety whatsoever.

The trick is to keep positive and stay patient, I know it's hard but that light at the end of the tunnel will start getting closer, trust me on that.

Don't give up, keep going and gradually you'll start to pick up, unfortunately it is a slow process so don't rush thinking it isn't working as time is the best healer!

Take care and keep your chin up.

Mick.

hannah26
13-10-12, 13:59
Hi Mick,

Thansk for your reply, I really am trying so hard to stay positive although it doesnt look like it when you see my posts on here!!

I will go up to 20mg I'm just worried that it will make it worse, But I will try it. I have to.

Thanks again
Hannah x x

little scientist
13-10-12, 15:34
Like you Hannah, first time round on citalopram I felt brilliant, perfect like you say! This time round it has been harder, a lot harder but slowly I think I am getting there. Like the others say, increase to 20mg may be the best course of action :)

hannah26
13-10-12, 16:23
Hello,

Oh my god I feel terrible, Im so scared I dont know what to do. I feel like Im not really here and Im gonna lose control. I cannot do this I feel like Im dying and there is some serious damage to my brain. I will never be normal again.
My brain feels fuzzy and Im scared.
What can I do to stop this I cannot take it anymore its to much. I feel like im out of step with the rest of the world and that I am going to end up crazy.
Honestly this feeling will not go and I am terrified. I am on my own with my little sister and I dont know who to call or what to do. This is horrible and Im scared.
What should I do?

TJSMITH
13-10-12, 18:47
Hun do you have diazapam?
Try and keep busy it's hard I know x

hannah26
13-10-12, 19:00
Hi TJ,

Thanks for your reply!
No I don't have any diazepam!! I did have some but the Doc only gave me 7 and I used them all when I first started citalopram!!
I feel so scared, like I'm gonna go mad and lose it completely! I'm frightened of everything!! I feel a knot of terror in my chest and I'm so scared!!

little scientist
13-10-12, 19:02
My GP was very reluctant to give diazepam (refused actually), thankfully I calmed naturally.

Tjsmith, I agree with keeping busy. Distraction is a good way to stop the negative thoughts from even commencing. Do you have a wii or anything that you can play some games on, or do you like reading maybe? Or could you take up something new that requires concentration, say sewing or knitting? I do cross stitch and it's great for distraction. Keep going Hannah, it *will* get better!

hannah26
13-10-12, 19:09
Thank you Littlescientist for your reply!!
I know it will get better but I can't see it at the moment! This is horrible I feel like I'm trapped!!

Thank you again
Hannah x x

TJSMITH
13-10-12, 19:58
Hannah
I just recently came out of a ten day blip, back to being scared, no way out etc....

I find this site and playing games on laptop helps to a degree, the more I sit thinking the deeper I go.

I also read magazines on bad days as easier than a book and I live reading.
We know how you feel ANC to be honest diazapam did nothing for me anyway

Xx

---------- Post added at 19:58 ---------- Previous post was at 19:57 ----------

Ps
Wi is good lol I like wi fit or bowling lol

cos123
13-10-12, 20:08
HI guys: This is so unbelievably hard. The only thing keeping me going with the drug is to hear some of you say that as the weeks add up the anxiety will get better or go. You know if someone with a magic wand said I can take the anxiety away, but you'll have to live with depression for the rest of your life, I think I would say yes, just get rid of the anxiety and I'll deal with whatever else is thrown my way.
I didn't take the ativan last night as I thought I would try to sleep with out it, woke several times during the night, but around 6am I woke with such terror, hands and feet sweating, chest feeling like it was going to cave in. Suffered for about an hour trying to calm my breathing and then took the ativan, cause like you Hannah I just can't take it. Then I feel hopeless, now I'm spaced out and tired from the ativan, but I have to get myself out of the house. These weeks feel like years!

stay in contact
your fellow warrior!
cos123:scared15:

TJSMITH
13-10-12, 20:27
It does get better a lot better. I still have dips but nowhere near as cad as before meds.
I can always function now it's taken a while but I finally have days with virtually no anxiety.

I had a lovely message from someone saying that you will have mins then hours that turn into days until the good days eventually out way the bad and have to say that's spot on.

It's taken me 8 months and two meds to get to this point and believe me I never thought I would.
Xx

diggory
13-10-12, 20:39
Hanna, I was on 40 mg for two years, it does work, give it time. There are side effects on take up but they do work if you give them a chance. Main side effects for me was just putting on weight ! When on 20mg I felt anxious in the evening so I increased to 40mg which did the trick. I went cold turkey (not recommended) at the end of August and have remained cit' free since. Coming off gave me rather interesting side effects for a couple of weeks, but looking back a few years cit' has put my life back on track, however, the small dose did little for me, it was only after being on the larger dose that I felt the benefit. Give them time to work. Good luck !