PDA

View Full Version : Should I go to the Doctors?

Jo_anna
13-10-12, 16:19
Hi

I'm Joanna, a 20 year old Psychology student in the final year of Uni. I'm from the South of England.

I am not diagnosed with any anxiety disorder or any disorder for that matter. My father had/has OCD and my mother has some problems with alcohol, depression etc..

I don't know whether to go to the doctors about my anxiety. I have had a few panic attacks this year and in the past. They have lasted hours. My panic attacks usually last an hour... I tend to be able to avoid some panic attacks. When I feel like I am about to panic I try to divert my attention to something else that isn't going to make me feel anxious.

I have particular problems in social situations. There is not a time when I don't feel anxious about engaging in a social situation. As a result I don't have many friends and this depresses me a lot. I tend to push people away when I feel like they're getting too close to me because I'm afraid I'll let them down or be let down. I obsess over my appearance most the time because I'm worried what other people think and having some control over the way I look makes me feel 'acceptable'. I often feel like I'm not worthy of others company or conversation. If I see someone I know in the street I will avoid them because I think they don't want to talk to me or dislike me for some reason. That kind of situation makes me pretty anxious and panicy because I never know how to really react.

Recently I have begun to notice more when I get depressed I won't look after myself so well so I won't wash my hair so regularly for example - this then makes me want to itch my scalp and I will itch it til it bleeds and then pick at the scabs. I will also comb my hair with my fingers with some force that a bit of hair falls out. I also pick at my gums/teeth, especially if I can feel a crack in a tooth. I will pick at them til they bleed and then use floss. I don't feel like I can help it though and it gives some kind of relief when I'm feeling stressed/anxious. Since becoming more aware of this I have tried to avoid it but the urge is still there.

I also make lists, not so much out of choice though. i don't feel like I'll remember everything I need to do unless I plan and write it down. I don't really have the motivation to do anything at the moment so making a list helps me focus on things I need to do. I will make lists of really small things though like 'Brush teeth, wash face, mouthwash, cleanse face/apply cream'. I've begun to obsess over the timing and order I undergo tasks. I always try to optimism the time it takes to do things. I often feel like I am rushing around trying to get everything done. Despite this I've been late a lot recently because I find it hard to leave the house even though I give myself enough time (like 2 hours). I get anxious about having to do things and the way I do them (the time it takes to do each thing and in the 'best' order).

I get claustrophobic for no real reason sometimes. For example many of the panic attacks I've had have started from me feeling claustrophobic or trapped - if all the doors are shut in my room or I'm in an enclosed area on my own such as in a toilet cubical, I begin feeling anxious and have to focus on what I'm doing and get out of that situation as soon as possible to avoid feeling more anxious. There is one fairly traumatic event I can think of that perhaps relates to this in some way but I'm not sure.

I almost had a panic attack on the train the other day. I was almost near my stop but this didn't help rationalize the situation. I started to become more and more aware I could not get off the train, I was in an enclosed area with other people watching. I began scratching at my arms to calm myself down (tried to do this discretely obviously). I have self-harmed in the past but never too severely in my opinion, mostly because I worry about what people will think if they saw and have always lied or not told anyone about it. I also get suicidal thoughts/begin to wish not to exist when I'm feeling particularly low.

I feel embarrassed about going to the doctors about these things because I know it could be so much worse. But i'm also worried about the anxiety getting worse. I'm worried the doctor won't take what I say seriously. The whole idea of going to see a doctor about my anxiety, makes me really...anxious!

I tried counselling last year but it had to come to an end. I have also had therapy due to being depressed after a loved one passed away and in relation to family issues when I was much younger.

The main reason I want to get help is because I'm worried about how my anxiety will affect my final year at Uni. I've already had one panic attack due to stress and depression - and this was in the first couple weeks back at Uni!
Obviously there is also the whole social side and other aspects which worry me too.

Any advice and honest opinions would be very much appreciated and if you'd like to know anything else about me please ask!
Sorry this post is so long and if I should of posted this else where, please let me know.

Many thanks and look forward to getting to know you all more.
J

Annie0904
13-10-12, 17:07
Hi. I think it would be good for you to go and speak to your doctor and maybe he could refer you for cognitive behaviour therapy. In the mean time there are some good online courses that may help you like CBT4Panic. I am finding this very helpful.

sophieunderscore
13-10-12, 17:40
Hi Joanna - I am also a psychology student, doing my PhD after my BSc and MSc, all with panic attacks and anxiety!

Please go to the doctor - my anxiety increased during my final year especially around my dissertation time and in the end I didn't do a few exams and my degree was awarded with extenuating circumstances, I wish I'd been to the doctor when things started getting worse at the beginning of the year - they will take you seriously - uni stress is real stress. Also find out if your uni does a free counselling service, mine does and I am taking full advantage now as my anxiety is back with vengeance. Nip things in the bud as you're still early in the year. Please feel free to PM me if you need someone to chat to :hugs:

susan1963
13-10-12, 19:27
hiya, i can relate to you on many of the symptoms and things like, scratching my scalp,picking them scabs and making my head sore when nervous, anxiety/stress is awfall, you are not alone hun, why not go and see your gp he/she will talk you through the stress your going through and may even sugest meds i suffer with chronic hives brought on by anxiety/stress and its awfall, take care :)

Jo_anna
13-10-12, 19:46
Thank you so much for your replies!

The panic attack was partly/mostly due to my dissertation. I have to meet with my supervisor every week and it scares me and makes me panic like mad! I get so stressed because I don't want to disappoint her and the feedback I get from her is basically the only indication I have as to how my dissertation is going because I feel like I have no idea what I'm doing! It's so bad when I talk to her I just sit and listen and am too worried to comment on anything really. One meeting she lost her patience with me because I was being so unsure of myself/everything, but I couldn't help it! The first time I went to see her ever I broke down in tears because I didn't get any of the supervisors I chose and was terrified my dissertation idea was a load of rubbish and no one wanted to be my supervisor etc.

I can't even imagine what it's going to be like doing the Interview for my research project assessment :(

The counselling I had was through the Uni but they can only give you so many sessions which is understandable - I'm sure there's lots of people at Uni that need it. The counselor told me about another counselling service which was something like £5 a session... I can't really afford that as a student though.

I really don't want to try any medication >.< I've mostly heard bad things about it and I'd like to think it's not so severe and can be helped through some decent therapy (where can anyone get that these days for nothing? ahah..)

Thanks again :) I made an appointment already as the waiting is so long and I didn't want to book an 'emergency appointment' as I'm sure there's a lot more people worse off than me needing to see a doctor.

I don't really know what to say though? 'Hi I feel really anxious most the time, I'm anxious right now, help?!?' I guess I should tell them what I've mentioned in this thread?

chris9
14-10-12, 11:44
I can relate to you completely, I think you should go to see what the doctor could do because you don't want it to interfere with your life when you are at Uni

Take care, hope it goes well for you.

Jo_anna
23-10-12, 11:08
Hey everyone - I went to the Drs yesterday. First off, IT WAS HORRIBLE. The waiting room was full and stuffy and I was waiting for AGES. I also turned up an hour early the first time so made a right idiot of myself and had to go back home only to really go back again. There was this little girl who started screaming for the whole time she was seeing the Doctor. Some lady with a broken leg was crying over something one of the Doctors said. The guy next to me was saying things under his voice about the little girl talking and an old couple came in with severe asthma and I could hear them breathing which was so unsettling! I was panicing so much. I didn't know where to look and felt like everyone was looking at me. The beeper message thing in the waiting room was making me feel so dizzy and light headed because I couldn't help but staring at it hoping my name would come up but anxious about seeing the Doctor at the same time!

By the time I saw the Doctor I was so panicy. My voice went funny when I talked. I probably talked too fast. I kinda kept zoning out because I was so anxious and then remembering what I want to tell him. It wasn't too bad. If it wasn't the Doctors I would of probably had a panic attack or left. But I knew the reason why I was there in the first place was to get help and I'm so sick of this anxiety! It's preventing me from being who I wanna be and living the life I want to life. I just want out.

He wasn't really that sympathetic but I think he understood my problem I guess. He went over all the things I already knew and did what I thought he was going to do - Just perscribe me some drugs. I started taking them this morning (20mg of Citalopram).

I already feel a bit sick but I'm not sure if that's just cause I'm hungry (only had a cup of tea and a banana for breakfast). I haven't told anyone either because I'm scared what they'll think. I kind of just want to do this on my own but I dunno if that's the best way?