PDA

View Full Version : Will I cope being a mum?!

JoannaS
13-10-12, 22:14
So I've been married a year now and would love to start a family, but I think could I really cope? I'd worry about every little thing and I think pregnancy would either freak me out or completely change me and make me forget all my worries. I'm hoping it's the latter but what if I freak out? Should I even be contemplating having a baby with my health anxiety?!

Am I being too harsh on myself? Any mums out there understand what I'm feeling?

Ats666
13-10-12, 22:21
You are being too harsh on yourself! I have have suffered health anxiety for the last 20 years and I have a 15, 13 and 2 year old. My health anxiety improved after I had my first child, although I still worried about every little thing and I guess in one way that saved my baby's life when he was 12 weeks old I spotted 1 spot on his leg, called nhs direct and within 3 hours e had been diagnosed with meningitis. So health anxiety can benefit you sometimes. Unfortunately my HA returned with a vengeance 3 weeks ago, but this has not made me bad mother.
I'm sure you will be a great mother :hugs:

cattia
13-10-12, 22:28
You should definitely not let your HA rob you of the amazing experience of being a mum. I found my HA really improved during my pregnancies and didn't really come back fully for a good while afterwards. I have suffered since and I do worry about my children but I try really hard not to pass my anxiety on to them. It definitely won't make you a bad mum.

JoannaS
13-10-12, 22:28
Ah thank you, that makes me feel a lot better.

That must have been terrifying with the meningitis but lucky you spotted it so early. My husband says when I'm pregnant I'll practically be living at the hospital! I always worry more about other people too so goodness knows what it'll be like with a baby!

But me being me I'm already paranoid in infertile. I have no reason to suspect this, it's just my stupid head assuming the worst all the time!

cattia
13-10-12, 22:35
Yes, I was convinced I was infertile too, but it took me four months to get pregnant first time then one month second time. I was convinced I had ovarian cysts and endometriosis but I didn't have any of it.