PDA

View Full Version : Hello, can someone give me advice?

Georgie_81
08-08-06, 00:52
Hey all

Let me first start by introducing myself, my name is George and i'm 25 and from London.

I have been seeking medical advice for the last 4 months regarding chest pains, breathing problems, irregular heart beats, pain and a tingling sensation in my hands and arms. I have been for various chest xrays, heart monitoring appointments and other tests to do with my heart and chest.

After these all come back negative my doctor suspected this could be anxiety/panic attacks and advised me to do some research into the symptoms i was having. But tonight is the first time in a few weeks that the symptoms have returned.

So to calm myself down I decided to look on the internet and discovered this site. All the symptoms I experience are listed here and even a few that I thought were totally unrelated. Like difficulty in public places when breathing and feeling nervous and also fear of being restricted in a public place.

The first time I had these symptoms, which I now believe was a panic attack, was totally out of the blue back in december and had actually woken me up as I was asleep. I firstly thought it was a reaction to too much red bull as I had been drinking a rather large amount that evening. The initial symptoms were sweating, rapid heart beat, irregular breathing, feeling hot and a general feeling of not being in control. These didn't last too long so I ignored them.

The second occassion happen around a month ago, and was as I got into bed. Although there was more, I also had chest pains and believed the pain was coming from my heart which made my breathing harder and eventually finding it hard to cath my breath. After this the attacks started getting more frequent which made me go to the doctors and ask for help and tests to be carried out on my chest and heart.

Eventually it got to the point where It was happening most times I would get into bed, and also when I was travelling home from work. But never on the way into work. And more symptopms were emerging, like the tingling and numb feelings in my arms and hands, and sometimes my neck.

Eventually all the tests came back negative or with no results stating anything was wrong. So after speaking with my doctor i didn't do anything about it until tonight when the attack has returned. And tonight was rather unpleasent because I couldn't get a deep enough breath and also the pains in my chest were quite strong along with not being able to sleep.

I have studied the site and have noticed a few other symptoms, not just of panic attacks, but of anxiety. Firstly I do tend to worry about everyday issues but to great lengths and to great extent. These can often ruin my whole day and week, as mainly seem to think about the negative things and dwell on them, and not think about the positive things. Although this is never apparant to anyone else, its a well hidden secret. Mainly the extent of worry is focused on money, future aspirations, own insecurities about myself and also what other people think of me. To some extent this can ruin a simple night out with friends because I worry if people in the place are talking about me or looking over at us etc. Is mad and afterwards I feel silly as it shouldn't matter, but at the time is serious and thats when I start to go tense and not be able to relax. And usually end up either leaving early, or drinking alcohol quicker and in larger quantities to try and overcome this.

Any way what I am asking for is some advice and possible coaching on where to start in overcoming these issues and resolving the panic attacks. This is all new to me and I am still comfused as toi where this came from and also why its happening. Although it was comforting to read on this site that symptons usually come out of the blue and for no apparant reason.

So if anyone is free to offer help or advice it would be great to hear from you.

Thanks for reading the above, I know its quite a large amount of information but I am myself trying to understand why this is happening to me.

Thanks

George

EebyJeeby
08-08-06, 01:18
Hi George and a big warm welcome to the forum. You will find people here in various stages of their recovery who understand what you are going through and will be happy to help.

In the meantime, have you read the First Steps page? See here:

First steps for overcoming Panic and Anxiety (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/NMPcms.php?nmppage=firststeps)

As you start to read more about anxiety and panic attacks, you will begin to understand the physical and mental processes at work and this, in turn, will be able to get it all into some sort of context. Did your doctor suggest a course of action? I found counselling extremely helpful in discovering the underlying causes for me and I have made good progress since, but it takes time.

Above all, don't despair - you are not alone!

Eeb x

giddy
08-08-06, 09:03
Welcome to the forum George. Have a read of some of the past posts, it helped me no end.
love Helen

trac67
08-08-06, 10:42
Hi George,

Welcome to the forum, you will get a lot of good advice here and make some new friends.

Take care

Trac xx

'Live your life with arms wide open, today is where your book begins, the rest is still unwritten'

manmoor
08-08-06, 12:10
Hi George,

A big warm welcome to you.

Take Care
Mandy
xx

Georgie_81
08-08-06, 14:28
Thank you for your welcome messages, I am glad I found this site and glad there are others on here like me that i can talk and relate to :)

polly daydream
08-08-06, 15:08
Hi Georgie and welcome to the forum.

Best wishes,

Polly

nicjay
08-08-06, 16:19
Hi George

Welcome to the forum, you will find lots of advice and friendly people here.

Nicola
xxx

clickaway
08-08-06, 16:33
Welcome aboard George.

I think my best advice is to study other people's experiences here - that way you will gradually be reassured that your symptoms are anxiety related.

I was a bit concerned that the doc asked you to "research your symptoms" as I thought that was their job! But as a result you found this site, that was very good news[8D]

We advise against Googling for symptoms on here, as many of our symptoms are referenced to more serious conditions and this is likely to just increase our anxiety. Instead, just ask a question here.

Take Care,

Ray

http://www.anxietyrelease.org.uk/

And when you get the choice to sit it out or dance, I hope you dance.
~Mark Sanders and Tia Sillers

wobily_lin
08-08-06, 17:57
Hey Georgie,

A big welcome to the site. You will find lots of support here mate. We met in chat last night so you know that there are ppl there tp help at any time.

((((hugs))))))
xxxxxxxxxxx

Take care,

Lin.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

IanB
08-08-06, 19:54
Hi George,

Welcome to the forum, have a look in the 'Self Help - First Steps'. I did and it was the best move I've made in months.
Keep your chin up

Ian

Ma Larkin
09-08-06, 10:19
Hi George, I started just like you. For 18 months I've been convinced there is something wrong with my heart. Started with massive panic attacks, tingling, absolutely shaking to death, & hyperventilating, which I thought were heart attacks. I must have been to A&E about 20 times! Each time I was given an ECG & every one was OK. I've had chest x-rays, blood tests, the works, & everything came back negative. I now suffer from general anxiety all of the time, but I've started now with health anxiety. I was hoping I'd just worry about my heart & that this wouldn't happen to me, but I'm 40 this year, drink & smoke too much which does not help the situation but I'm scared to go cold turkey in case it makes me feel worse. I'm on Prozac & take Diazepam when things are really shaky. I'm self-conscious too, always think people think the worst of me & are talking behind my back, which makes the depression worse. I've been having counselling, which helps. Its nice to escape for an hour. We've all been told we need to re-train our thoughts. Its easier said than done though.

I hope you find some solutions on here. My panic attacks have virtually disappeared now & its mainly down to advice on this site.

Hope you feel better soon.

Les