PDA

View Full Version : Racing thoughts an anxiety attack?

Butterfly22
15-10-12, 09:23
I know we recognise that a panic attack gives physical symptoms that we all know, but I was wondering when you have an episode of racing and disturbing thoughts that seem uncontrollable and repetitive can this be an anxiety attack as well?

Harley
15-10-12, 09:49
Racing, disturbing and repetitive thoughts are a symptom of high anxiety. They happen because you anxiety levels are extremely high. Try not to focus on them and pay them any attention. Instead work on reducing you level of anxiety. Try some relaxation exercises or try to go and do something you enjoy which will distract you. You will find that as soon as anxiety reduces the thoughts will just disappear. The worse thing you can do is to try and get rid of the thoughts because the more attention you give them, and the more you focus on them, the stronger they will get. Remember, however upsetting they are, they are not you, they are just another symptom of high anxiety.

Butterfly22
15-10-12, 09:52
Thank you for your advice Harley, I will try to focus on some relaxation, sometimes it feels like my head wants to explode with thoughts.

Harley
15-10-12, 10:10
I can totally understand and sympathise with you. I suffered from constant repetitive, disturbing thoughts for many years. I would spend all my days trying to argue with them, push them away, fight them. It seemed as though I was unable to have any normal thoughts at all. Have you been to see you GP. There are drugs that can help and also some kind of therapy. Its a case of finding out what works for you. But the good news is you can overcome it. I know because I have done it. At one time I thought my life would never be normal again. You just need to get the right sort of help and there are some lovely people on this site who will help you to understand what you are experiencing so that you do not feel alone. I wish I had had access to a site like this when I was ill because I know how lonely and scared you can feel.:hugs: If I can help in any way I am so willing to.

Butterfly22
15-10-12, 10:18
Thank you for your understanding, it can feel like life will never be normal again, but its good to know it can be overcome. I am just off out at the moment, possibly the reason for my high anxiety, I will pm you later to have a chat hugs x

andrewhowell
19-10-12, 11:59
Racing, disturbing and repetitive thoughts are a symptom of high anxiety. They happen because you anxiety levels are extremely high. Try not to focus on them and pay them any attention. Instead work on reducing you level of anxiety. Try some relaxation exercises or try to go and do something you enjoy which will distract you. You will find that as soon as anxiety reduces the thoughts will just disappear. The worse thing you can do is to try and get rid of the thoughts because the more attention you give them, and the more you focus on them, the stronger they will get. Remember, however upsetting they are, they are not you, they are just another symptom of high anxiety.

Thanks for this information about anxiety.:)

Sparkle1984
19-10-12, 21:20
I know we recognise that a panic attack gives physical symptoms that we all know, but I was wondering when you have an episode of racing and disturbing thoughts that seem uncontrollable and repetitive can this be an anxiety attack as well?

Yes definitely. When I was at my worst I used to get racing negative thoughts, especially first thing in the morning. It was awful as I used to have trouble sleeping because the thoughts were so intrusive. Since I've been on my medication I've been sleeping a lot better, and listening to relaxation MP3s has helped me a lot as well.

mandshere2000
19-10-12, 21:36
Hi
What a brilliant topic, this is what I get the thoughts are awful and so scary has well as the physical of racing heart sweating etc really hope this topic gets lots more replys be so good to hear from other people on how they cope and feel etc and also any medications that have helped them
Manda

---------- Post added at 21:36 ---------- Previous post was at 21:31 ----------

oh and the same as you sparkle was sleeping is terrible because of these racing thoughts that I can wake up having:weep:

Sparkle1984
19-10-12, 21:48
Yes, when I used to get those racing thoughts my heart would beat really fast as well, which made it even harder for me to get back to sleep. Thankfully I hardly ever get those symptoms now.

willster
19-10-12, 22:07
Yes as a symptom of my anxiety, I get racing, repetitive thoughts too, usually negative thoughts, or trying to solve some perceived 'problem'.
Usually at night and in the morning (4am...ha...always :weep:) which stops me sleeping.
Sometimes it's like listening to a record player where the needle is just jumping back and playing the same thought over and over.
I'm used to it now and can recognise when it's happening and it doesn't bother me too much, I just let the thoughts come.
I find it's also good to try distract yourself by doing something active but not too taxing like cleaning the house or something, exercise like a good walk or yoga also helps.

mandshere2000
19-10-12, 22:54
Hi sparkle
How did you manage to not experience them so much now, are you on medication.....or do you use other ways of coping
Manda

Sparkle1984
19-10-12, 23:41
Hi sparkle
How did you manage to not experience them so much now, are you on medication.....or do you use other ways of coping
Manda

Yes I've been on 10mg citalopram for the last 10 weeks. It's definitely helped even though I do still get anxious sometimes, it's not so severe.