PDA

View Full Version : The Drs taking me off Citalopram!!!!

hannah26
15-10-12, 11:11
Hello,

So as some of ou may know, I started Citalopram around a month ago, and have suffered terribly ever since, Obsessive thoughts, panic, constant anxiety, the fear of losing control and going mad etc etc.
So I went to my Dr today in the hope of getting it increased to 20mg as I have been on 10mg.
And to my shock she has lowered my dose to 5mg a day for a few days and then she wants me to come off of them altogether!! She said that she was not happy I was feeling this bad and that I really shouldnt feel 10 times worse than what I did before I started them.
Ok fine shes the professional and I will do what she says. But now Im flippin terrified of what happens when you come of the Cit!!
What can I expect? Will I go back to feeling like I did before I started taking them? Will the heightened anxiety go??

Im scared but hopeful that she knows what shes doing. I got very upset when I was speaking to her and started crying and she said that although most antidepressants make you feel worse I shouldnt be feeling this bad.
I dont know, there is so much conflicting information around, who do I listen to? Someone who has actually been on the medication or a Dr who has learnt about them!!

Anyway if anyone has any advice or experience on coming off I would really like to hear them!
Thanks
Hannah x x

dogsandtea
15-10-12, 11:27
I guess maybe she thinks it is not worth you taking Citalopram at this stage if you are not 'dependent' on it (eg. after 1 month I doubt you will have any serious withdrawal effects) but 1 month is maybe enough time for you to start feeling a little bit better. It sounds like she will want to try you on another SSRI that may work better for you more quickly. I am surprised she didn't up you to 20mg though as 10mg does nothing for most people.

---------- Post added at 11:27 ---------- Previous post was at 11:26 ----------

p.s don't worry about coming off them at 1 month. It takes a couple of months for it to really get into your system properly, I think they say around 3 months. I doubt you will have any serious withdrawal effects after this time.

Sparkle1984
15-10-12, 13:18
Maybe you could ask to try a a different ssri. How are you coming down to 5mg - do you have to break tje pills in half or did the doctor give you the liquid version?

hannah26
15-10-12, 13:38
Hi Sparkle1984,

I think that is the plan, the Dr said I needed to come off of ciitalopram and then maybe change meds!
Its scary but if that's what the Dr said to do then I will for now!!

---------- Post added at 13:38 ---------- Previous post was at 13:33 ----------

Oh and my pharmasist cut the tablets in half for me!! Bless him! X x

little scientist
15-10-12, 13:45
Good luck Hannah, there are plenty of other SSRIs out there so am sure one will suit you. I changed from fluoxetine to citalopram years back without any major issues, and citalopram suits me just fine it seems :)

and Bless your pharmacist!

ally2012
15-10-12, 18:42
You poor thing Hannah....just as you were hoping things would calm down! It's good that she is taking notice of how you're coping and feeling taking action.

None of us on here can tell you if it's right or not, but I'm sure she is doing exactly what she thinks is best based on her knowledge of you personally and her experience.

If you do feel any doubt, go seek a second opinion from one of the other doctors - I did this and it made me feel a lot better.

Big hugs :bighug1: xxx

cos123
18-10-12, 00:12
Hi Hannah: Just seeing these posts now that you are coming off Cit. Oh Hannah I'm so sorry u have to go through this. Maybe its a good thing though and the next one will be the right one. I have felt small improvements but still feeling agitated a lot on it and not sleeping very good unless I take the ativan, so who knows I may end up having to change meds too. Which I dread as well. I see my doc on the 26th.

I don't know what we all have to be made of to cope with this stuff--isn't it hard enough to have the anxiety and depression, but to have to deal with trial and error with the drugs seems doubly cruel. But you know so many people have said they had to try several drugs before they got the right one, so its really common.
You're going to be okay, I just know it. You're a fighter, I can tell. It's those that don't give up that get well I think .

I'm thinking of you and sending hugs.:flowers: