PDA

View Full Version : Mindfulness

ally2012
15-10-12, 19:02
Hi all,

Whilst reading up on acute anxiety, I found that a lot of places are recommending 'Mindfulness'. The Mental Health Foundation in particular are talking about it a lot here: http://www.bemindful.co.uk/about_mindfulness

Mindfulness is a form of meditation. Apparently when coupled with CBT (Cognitive Behavioural Therapy), the results have been very positive for helping people with anxiety and depression.

So, I thought I'd give it a go. There are courses you can go on which usually last around 8 weeks....and there are various books for if you just want to do it on your own. There's a course nearby me, but it doesn't start till January...so I chose one of the books. You can get it on paperback or on kindle...which I've got on the Kindle app on my iPhone.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mindfulness-practical-guide-frantic-ebook (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mindfulness-practical-guide-frantic-ebook/dp/B004XCFJ3E/ref=tmm_kin_title_0)

I'm only on Chapter 3, but I'm already finding it really helpful - I thought maybe it would help some people on here too.

Ally xx

Harley
15-10-12, 20:03
I did a course of therapy which was based on mindfulness. It was called Acceptance and Commitment therapy (ACT). I found it extremely helpful, more so than any of the other forms of counselling or therapy that I had be given. The book that we worked from was called Get Out of Your Mind and into Your Life. There was a group of about 8 of us and 3 months after the course had ended we all met up. The therapy had helped 7 out of the 8. I would definitely recommend reading up on it.

debbsi
15-10-12, 20:38
I am very interested in mindfulness, so much so when I qualify as a health professional next year I fully intend to carry out post grad training and become a mindfulness practioner. I have read lots about it and whenever i have practiced the meditation I have found it immensley helful. Although you are supposed to meditate daily, I confess to not doing, and I think thats why I'm having another set back. I have registered on the headspace website where you can access some free guided meditations, I have also bought the first book by Andy Puddicome - its founder - which is really good.

I have had cbt twice, and contacted my last therapist to ask advice about my current setback, she recommenede mindfulness based cbt, and my gp has referred me for a course run by the local primary care mental health team. It lasts 8 weeks and is run as a group, you are also expected to do 'homework' which takes 45 mins daily.

I have to wait now to hear back, and will need in initial assessment to see if its appropriate for me - so it may be next year by the time I can start - but I am really looking forward to it.

diggory
15-10-12, 21:55
I would highly recommend taking up meditation, especially 'mindfulness', Jon Kabat-Zinn is an author to check out and I would recommend his book Mindfulness Meditation. Also look at any books by Thich Nhat Hanh. I came off cit' at the end of August (cold turkey) this certainly helped me fight the withdrawal symptoms. Yoga is also another thing that helped me and combines really well with meditation. Check out any local meditation groups, you may be surprised what may be available. Good luck, give it time, it works and it's fun to practice !
Diggory

ally2012
15-10-12, 21:59
"Mindfulness teaches us that thoughts are just thoughts; they are events in the mind. They are often valuable but they are not ‘you’ or ‘reality’. They are your internal running commentary on yourself and the world."

How very true.

Sparkle1984
16-10-12, 21:08
I like the idea of mindfulness. I see the online mindfulness course at bemindful.co.uk costs £60. Has anyone on here tried it, and if so, how useful did you find it?

bignik
16-10-12, 21:16
cbt and mindfulness a very worthwhile courses for me, they take the crap out of your head and replace it with what should be there. Helps greatly with control of thoughts.

ally2012
17-10-12, 10:06
I like the idea of mindfulness. I see the online mindfulness course at bemindful.co.uk costs £60. Has anyone on here tried it, and if so, how useful did you find it?

I was going to try this but then thought I'd like a book more as I can take it around on my iPhone.