PDA

View Full Version : don't know where to post ... disturbing dreams

swgrl09
16-10-12, 12:42
I have been having a lot of disturbing dreams lately ... not sure if it is correlated to the escitalopram i've been on the past two months, or not. But a lot of stuff from childhood, stuff I know didn't happen but still just not right.

Is this similar to intrusive thoughts? What is going on here? Anybody have any thoughts

Serenitie
16-10-12, 13:31
Hi swgrl! I really think it is the medication. I've been having disturbing dreams for a few weeks now. I had a short break from them, but they have been back for the last few days.They are very vivid and I'm dreaming lots more each night than usual. It can be very draining and can cause low mood upon waking. The best advice I can give is try to distract yourself from these dreams and hopefully they will pass :hugs:

swgrl09
16-10-12, 14:29
thank you for your response! They are really vivid, like yours, and I have at least four different ones that I can remember a night. They really freak me out even when I have woken up! I am just trying to get up and brush them off. Eek!

bignik
16-10-12, 19:29
trying to brush them off is about the only best advice I can do , try and asess they are only dreams as quickly as possible to minimise the distress ( I take it they are causing some distress, no one complains of good dreams ). Before you go to bed try best to clear your mind best you can it helps. I suffer PTSD and same every night wake up same panic but the more I have them strangely enough the more I can cope. Also try get out of bed straight away from awaking , rush in there , brush you teeth , comb your hair , have a shower the more pointless repeatnivness the better to distract your mind until the point you can accept it was only a dream. If indoors chores dont work get out for a 30 min walk , count cars in the street etc .... a lot of work I agree but suffering ptsd for 2 years its all that works for me.#

You can try Mindfullness , I tfound that usefull as far as controlling the situation was concerned.