PDA

View Full Version : Christmas Anxiety

electrical_stormgirl
16-10-12, 13:57
Oh dear, people here are already doing a countdown to Christmas and getting excited. I can feel the anxiety setting in already... I used to like it but since my Mum died and I split up with my ex I find it a really difficult time. Everyone here thinks I'm being a scrooge for not getting excited. :huh:

fozzy is crying
16-10-12, 14:12
Oh dear, people here are already doing a countdown to Christmas and getting excited. I can feel the anxiety setting in already... I used to like it but since my Mum died and I split up with my ex I find it a really difficult time. Everyone here thinks I'm being a scrooge for not getting excited. :huh:

I know how you must be feeling. Myself I in absolute fear of the five week period which is coming soon. It includes my birthday, Christmas and the New Year. I really do not know how I can cope with any of it this time round. It has been the same story for many years and it gets harder each time. I have already started to go into partial lock-down mode. If I see people enthusing about the festive season or perhaps bemoaning being alone for a day or part day of it I think it with throw me over the top.

So many talk of being alone but most are only alone for a day or so or just the nights. I saw a post a day or so ago where someone was moaning he was alone at home but he had stated in the same post he had been out and been with people and had had a very good day. Others have work, see and talk to family and friends and have someone to telephone. All these are luxuries I have not had for so long I cannot remember when I had even one of them.

I am totally alone 24/365 with no chance of that changing. My only outlet is virtual on here and even that I can only take in small doses.

Gordon

electrical_stormgirl
16-10-12, 14:31
:hugs:

bernie1977
16-10-12, 14:37
I know how you must be feeling. Myself I in absolute fear of the five week period which is coming soon. It includes my birthday, Christmas and the New Year. I really do not know how I can cope with any of it this time round. It has been the same story for many years and it gets harder each time. I have already started to go into partial lock-down mode. If I see people enthusing about the festive season or perhaps bemoaning being alone for a day or part day of it I think it with throw me over the top.

So many talk of being alone but most are only alone for a day or so or just the nights. I saw a post a day or so ago where someone was moaning he was alone at home but he had stated in the same post he had been out and been with people and had had a very good day. Others have work, see and talk to family and friends and have someone to telephone. All these are luxuries I have not had for so long I cannot remember when I had even one of them.

I am totally alone 24/365 with no chance of that changing. My only outlet is virtual on here and even that I can only take in small doses.

Gordon

Bless you Gordon I have tears in my eyes reading that :bighug1::bighug1:

I the opposite to you I have friends and family but have shut them all out as I can't get to see them due to agoraphobia and I'm too nervous to have people in the house. I feel really selfish now after reading your post. I live with my partner but bolt off upstairs when he gets in from work as I start to feel anxious. Why I feel anxious I don't know, I only feel safe when I'm on my own.

If ever you want to talk Fozzy please PM me

speckles69uk
16-10-12, 14:40
Hey,

I can relate to you both, I hate this time of year. For me it progressively gets worse as it goes from October through to January. Halloween, bonfire, Christmas, New Year, my birthday. They all used to be fun, but with anniversaries of not nice things occurring in between, I struggle to enjoy any of them. You're definitely not being a scrooge.

My thoughts are with you both.

Take care

:hugs:

Rebecca

x

bernie1977
16-10-12, 14:45
I hate Christmas too. I can't go out to family due to agoraphobia so I worry what they think about this. I worry that I'm letting my partner down, I told him to go to his sisters for the day last year. I went to bed and took a sleeping pill as I couldn't stand to be awake.

I can't have people come to my house as I get panic attacks when anyone other than my partner is in the house. So basically all it does is cause me more anxiety

Magic
16-10-12, 16:43
Same here,
Last year I asked hubby to tell his relations not to come on Boxing day.
I have had them come for years. I have always been worked up about it.
I thought i can't stand the stress anymore.
and I am refusing to have them again this year.
My hubby has the same feeling as it to much hassle ,helping me etc.
It is not because I am a miserable person at all.
We have my youngest daughter and family coming Christmas eve.
They usually stop for 2 or 3 days and that is all i can cope with.
Having my grand/d opening presents is a joy to beholdxx

kt79
16-10-12, 16:58
I think alot more people hate christmas that just don't let on. I cant stand it. Every year something bad happens and its almost abit of a phobia now. I think the dark days and cold weather don't help either. I reckon id quiet enjoy it if i lived in oz!:)

fozzy is crying
16-10-12, 19:57
Bless you Gordon I have tears in my eyes reading that :bighug1::bighug1:

I the opposite to you I have friends and family but have shut them all out as I can't get to see them due to agoraphobia and I'm too nervous to have people in the house. I feel really selfish now after reading your post. I live with my partner but bolt off upstairs when he gets in from work as I start to feel anxious. Why I feel anxious I don't know, I only feel safe when I'm on my own.

If ever you want to talk Fozzy please PM me

Thank you Bernie. I might just so that sometime.

Zingything
16-10-12, 20:01
I too have started to dread christmas, it all starts so early! I used to love christmas when I had family, really love it, however that is not the case now and I just don't do christmas anymore, simply because it hurts too much. I record TV programmes so I miss out the happy christmas adverts, I dont put up any cards or decorations and I definitely dont go on any christmas do's or parties. The sooner it is over the better. It is the most difficult time of year, it makes me feel so lonely and isolated, and flipping miserable. Bah Humbug!

Madgirl12
16-10-12, 21:07
I too have started to dread christmas, it all starts so early! I used to love christmas when I had family, really love it, however that is not the case now and I just don't do christmas anymore, simply because it hurts too much. I record TV programmes so I miss out the happy christmas adverts, I dont put up any cards or decorations and I definitely dont go on any christmas do's or parties. The sooner it is over the better. It is the most difficult time of year, it makes me feel so lonely and isolated, and flipping miserable. Bah Humbug!

i feel like this quite a bit too. I'm lucky in that I have no *bad* associations with Christmas, it's always been a nice family time and I enjoy the day itself but the sheer materialistic BUY BUY BUY attitude really gets me down. For the past few years I've been trying to stop buying presents, especially for friends, and giving money to charity instead but it makes me feel like I'm not a good friend, even though we're all in our 30s now. I also drew up an email at work the other day that I'm going to send round the office informing people that I'm not going to send cards (this will be my first Christmas in this job) and will be donating to charity instead and I can feel my head spinning just thinking about it.

I hate how the pressure to buy gifts comes earlier every year and try to buy things online as shopping stresses me out too much. I feel like lying down in a dark room just thinking about it. I once spent Christmas in New Zealand and there was nothing like the crazy build up to Christmas Day that there is in the UK. Aside from seeing the odd Christmas tree in a few windows you wouldn't have thought it was Christmas at all!

Harley
16-10-12, 22:27
Hi Fozzy, are you alone because you can't go out? Sending you hugs:hugs:x

fozzy is crying
16-10-12, 22:29
Hi Fozzy, are you alone because you can't go out? Sending you hugs:hugs:x

I am alone because I have no family, friends, or support network and on top of my mental disabilities I also have physical ones as well which mean most of the I cannot even move form room to room never mind go out.

Tessar
17-10-12, 14:20
christmas reminds me of bad family times; brothers returning home for a few nights & making the atmosphere awful; being teased; arguments; drunken behaviour (i find it really hard being around even mildly drunken people because of this & have ended up with a phobia of what they might do).
i also hate the commercial aspect; such a waste of money; binge eating/drinking. so much food wasted; i just wish it could all be scaled down. i quite like the idea of going away so that i can ignore all of it but that's not practical & i suppose wherever you go you'd end up in the same boat.

merlotsmum
17-10-12, 14:44
I'm stressed as feel a bit pressured to go to the Christmas do at work, told them I would see how I am closer to the time but it is going to be a no. I struggle with noise and by the evening I am so exhausted that is is worse, my head and ears hurt and it sends me into a panic. I really don't like this run up time :( xx