PDA

View Full Version : Going nuts waiting for results!!!! How to stay sane

robin321
16-10-12, 14:32
I posted about this last week. I will the background short here.

Last week my wife went for her annual physical. Her TSH level was high, which I later learned means your thyroid isn't working properly. She also has a swollen lymph node on the back of her neck (under ear). The Dr ordered an ultrasound of the thyroid. She had an ultrasound of the node done 3 weeks prior. It has been there for 2 months, so the Dr was going to biopsy it to be safe.. but he decided to wait for u/s of thyroid. She also had some blood in her urine. Although, thinking back, when she did the urine test she had just finished her period.

She went for the u/s last Thu. She got nervous, because it took a long time and she thought the Tech looked nervous. At the end, he left to go to talk to the Radiologist, at which point he came back and said she could go home.

We saw our family Dr yesterday for our kids checkups. He didn't have the results yet, and said it could be at least a week.

I am going nuts waiting!!! To top it off my wife has symptoms like sometimes feeling like she is choking. I was hoping that it was anxiety, since it isn't constant. But what if it is more serious?

How do you guys cope with waiting? Everytime I try to distract myself, and feel good for a bit, my mind comes back to it. And I even get mad. Like why is this happening? I went through my issues last year, why do we have to go through it again?

justina
16-10-12, 15:01
I have no really good advice, waiting drives me nuts as well, I understand how you feel...
But when they find something serious, they usually call back right away...if it takes time to get the results, it is usually a good sign.
Is the lymph node big?

robin321
16-10-12, 15:17
Hi Justina,

Thanks! I do not know the measurement of the node. But I would say it was maybe a little more than 1cm.

I had my own lymph node issue last Feb. I had one 2.5cm * 1.2 cm node, along with two smaller ones (1.2 cm * .6cm). I had an ultrasound, and had to wait 6 weeks to see an ENT! Luckily the node went down by then, and I had another ultrasound and was cleared.

Nodes are usually not a big thing. I am more stressed by the blood reading than the node. Although I know many women are hypothyroid, I keep thinking it is worse.

DylanR
16-10-12, 20:31
Please keep us updated!

robin321
17-10-12, 13:26
Well we got our results yesterday!
Blood tests were back to normal. The TSH thyroid levels were not high anymore.
The ultrasound showed reactive nodes. They did not look suspicious at all.
The thyroid was clear. No nodules. The thyroid did look aggrivated, and she may have early hishomotos (underactive thyroid).

We will biopsy the node just to be safe, and at our choice not Dr recommendation. He said she didn't need it, and two scans show as reactive.

So all in all, good news : )
My wife is still stressed that she doesn't feel good. But I think some of it is anxiety:yesyes:

lo89
17-10-12, 16:17
Excellent news!