PDA

View Full Version : Very low today...cough is still here

Mandarra
16-10-12, 14:40
I am feeling so scared and confused today. I am having these terrible mood swings due to this cough. It has been six weeks since being told I have pneumonia, I finished the antibiotics. I am getting better very very slowly. Today I had a scare, I was filing and I felt breathless....like I was going to have a panic attack..:blush:...it passed but now I have tight chest and I am terrified. I don't want to go back to the doctor...I am afraid of getting a chest xray for fear they will find something, my mom passed from LC. I had one five years ago. I am weak with fear. I don't cough during sleep, but I wake up with this rattling, buzzing in my chest which kind of clears during the day but I cough....from what I can see the phlem is clear. I need to know that it is just the pneumonia taking it's time clearing. I have had this before but I don't remember it taking this long to clear up. Ugh...I don't know what to do.

mila
16-10-12, 18:48
Hi Mandarra,
How are you feeling? I can understand how you're feeling. I know how it affects me when I worry about something and about the mood swings. I would feel alright for a bit and then something would happen, either the symptom would come back or I would get reminded of it and I would sink right down, weak and heavy feeling in your guts. I would want to go straight to the doctor to reassure me but a part of me would be very scared of what he would say. I know why you are scared to go but if you are still having this lingering symptoms maybe you should go. Living in fear of something is no better than the thing we fear itself in my opinion, that is when I am giving advice to someone else LOL I know myself how hard it is when it yourself. But think how you would feel if you get checked up and it turns out it is just the pneumonia taking it's course. I would personally go and let the doctor know exactly how I'm feeling and what is worrying me if he is understanding. They aren't always, I know.
Hope you are feeling better!

Mandarra
16-10-12, 20:44
Millie...thank you for your kind words. I am here in the clinic waiting for the doctor and I am panicked. All the bad thoughts are here. My heart is pounding. If he suggests a chest xray I will need ti take a lorazepam as I have extreme fear of this. I fear they will find something awful. I will keep you posted.

---------- Post added at 11:44 ---------- Previous post was at 10:33 ----------

Millie....this is pure torture....waiting and waiting for results.

fozzy is crying
16-10-12, 20:53
I am feeling so scared and confused today. I am having these terrible mood swings due to this cough. It has been six weeks since being told I have pneumonia, I finished the antibiotics. I am getting better very very slowly. Today I had a scare, I was filing and I felt breathless....like I was going to have a panic attack..:blush:...it passed but now I have tight chest and I am terrified. I don't want to go back to the doctor...I am afraid of getting a chest xray for fear they will find something, my mom passed from LC. I had one five years ago. I am weak with fear. I don't cough during sleep, but I wake up with this rattling, buzzing in my chest which kind of clears during the day but I cough....from what I can see the phlem is clear. I need to know that it is just the pneumonia taking it's time clearing. I have had this before but I don't remember it taking this long to clear up. Ugh...I don't know what to do.

This sounds like a habit cough. Have you told your Doctor you do not cough when you sleep? Habit coughs are like this and can go on for months and months until the reason for it is solved. If it was a cough due to a chest infection or what have you it would not stop when you slept. I would advise you to see your Doctor and tell him you do not cough when asleep.

Gordon

Mandarra
16-10-12, 23:03
Thank you Gordon...I did mention that. So after a very stressfull wait...the doctor said the xray looks clear....no pneumonia. He said that it is just running its very long course. aI was happy and was hoping he would stop there...but no. He says that the radiologist will review it and call me if he sees anything......God......now I have to wait some more. I have a very bad case of health anxiety.....I am all foggy in my brain and I am trying to absorb the good news he gave me. This is not a good way to live.

fozzy is crying
16-10-12, 23:08
Thank you Gordon...I did mention that. So after a very stressfull wait...the doctor said the xray looks clear....no pneumonia. He said that it is just running its very long course. aI was happy and was hoping he would stop there...but no. He says that the radiologist will review it and call me if he sees anything......God......now I have to wait some more. I have a very bad case of health anxiety.....I am all foggy in my brain and I am trying to absorb the good news he gave me. This is not a good way to live.

Sorry he is talking through his backside. It is not normal from a physical problem for it to go away when you are asleep. Especially a cough. It is more likely a habit or anxiety escape mechanism and they should know that.

Coughs can last for months but they are there 24/7. In my opinion for what it is worth there is a mental health issue with yours. Been there got the T-shirts.

Gordon

mila
17-10-12, 19:28
Hi,
I am glad you went and it's all good. I know how you feel though about the radiologist reviewing the X-ray. I hate that, especially since they tell you if they see something they will call, if not then they won't. Well, when do you know they won't call again. The wait is the worse, plus you don't know when it's time to stop worrying cause they will not call and it's all fine. I understand radiologist maybe knows a bit more about X-rays but I would expect a Dr to be able to confidently read X-rays and if something was wrong, see it. So I would you are in the clear. Regarding the cough, I have the cough it could be the anxiety now, habit as Gordon says because you are so focused on it and worry about it so much. But I must say I have been having a cold with a cough for days now and as far as I know I am not coughing when I am sleeping, but on the other hand I am asleep so I may be wrong. It certainly doesn't wake me up to cough.
Hope you are feeling better today! I am in a similar state as you were yesterday :-(

Mandarra
17-10-12, 20:17
Hi Millie, I am so sorry you are not feeling well today. I am feeling better as I took lorazepam last night and fell asleep very early, so I do feel rested. I don't think my cough is habit, I have phlem, it chokes me so I need to cough. The cough is deep and it has a rattle, I don't think I can bring that on myself by worrying.
Living this way is so stressful, time and time again I go through this, it is awful.

Hope your cough goes away and you feel better soon.
:bighug1:
Mary

fozzy is crying
17-10-12, 21:10
Hi Millie, I am so sorry you are not feeling well today. I am feeling better as I took lorazepam last night and fell asleep very early, so I do feel rested. I don't think my cough is habit, I have phlem, it chokes me so I need to cough. The cough is deep and it has a rattle, I don't think I can bring that on myself by worrying.
Living this way is so stressful, time and time again I go through this, it is awful.

Hope your cough goes away and you feel better soon.
:bighug1:
Mary

Hi Mary,

I think you need to go back to your Doctor and ask how it goes away in your sleep because as far as I can see if it is a medical problem it can not. Anxiety can do a hell of a lot worse than the symptoms you have when only awake.

Gordon