PDA

View Full Version : Bronchitis? Really scared

chl_hobbs
16-10-12, 15:16
Ok so I posted the other day re: pains in my head, sinus problems,aches and a high temperature(37.8).
Well since Sunday my chest has been making a crackling sound. Not particularly when I breathe in, more often when I breathe out - but especially when I get up from sitting down or lying down. It's almost as if it's coming from my upper chest/lower throat area. Its a light crackling sound. I have a slight cough, but only bring up clear phlegm. I went to the GP yesterday, he listened to my chest and said it was all clear, and said that I most likely have a viral infection and that it's taking a while to calm down. My temp is still 37.3 - 37.6 throughout the day (im almost getting obsessed with taking it which isnt good as it's fuelling my anxiety).

From what Ive read, it sounds like I have bronchitis. This is really scaring me as I automatically think that this will turn into pneumonia, and that I will become really really ill and / or die.

Has anyone got any ideas of what it could be? Im taking amoxicillin and regular paracetemol, but nothing seems to be working. Im so scared of my temperature being so high, it's all just too much.

Any help would be really really appreciated!

Charlotte

Magic
16-10-12, 16:08
chl, Is the drug you mentioned antibiotic?

lisa1975
16-10-12, 16:34
How long have you been taking your antibiotic for can take a good 4 days to kick in

chl_hobbs
16-10-12, 17:02
Yes, although I dont know why Im on it as he said it was a viral infection. Ive been on them since Sunday afternoon. He did say whatever it is could have been triggered by the sinus infection I had so maybe Im on them for that. Its my temperature Im freaking out about, and the crackling noises. :(

Annie0904
16-10-12, 17:11
The antibiotics will clear up any infection. The doctor would have known if it was bronchitis and it doesn't sound like it as you said you are coughing up clear phlegm. You can get slightly raised temperature with viral infections so I am sure that is what it is. Make sure you drink plenty of fluids and keep taking the paracetamol regularly. I hope you start to feel better soon :hugs:

mila
16-10-12, 18:30
Hi Charlotte,
you are not alone, i have been driving myself crazy with taking temperature past few days. Actually that's why I am back on here, for someone to set me straight cause I am going insane, taking it every 5 minutes.
I don't have the crackling this time just feel really congested in my throat and sinuses but you don't want to know what is coming out of my sinuses. However, I have had the kind of feeling you are describing before, in the lower throat area, and dr was saying my chest was clear as well. Part of me was thinking it is just the phlegm from the throat not from my chest but other part was freaking out cause it was also meking me feel tight at moments.
Where are you taking your temperature? I am using the tympanic termometer and if I was advising someone else I would tell them anything up to 37.5 is not really temperature and anything under 38 is not high temperature but of course this is me. And the worse thing is that this morning it was under 37 so I was feeling happier, and recently I took it again and it went up to 37.6, so since I have taken it about 10 times! I haven't felt this way in a very long time, I can feel myself really panicking.
I will go to the doctor as I wasn't able tyo see one, only a nurse:mad: but since you have been, just give it some more time, bronchitis would make you cough out stuff a lot and they wouldn't be clear, trust your doctor. If you wanna chat though, i am around. x Millie

Zingything
16-10-12, 19:55
Amoxicillin can take a few days to start taking effect as others have said, so try not to worry. The crackling is just phlegm on your chest and it should clear up.

What I would suggest though is that you throw away the thermometer. I have a high blood pressure and bought a monitor that you put on your wrist. I became obsessed with taking my blood pressure and actually made it worse through anxiety. It was difficult but I threw it away and felt much calmer for it.

MM
16-10-12, 20:59
hi there :) I had bronchitis before and it doesn't sound like you have it. It does sound like a normal viral infection, nothing to worry about. Let me know if you have any questions :) Feel better!

chl_hobbs
17-10-12, 08:36
Thankyou everyone, it really DOES help when u share the HA with people who understand how you feel!

Im still aching all over, sore chest when I cough. It's feeling a bit 'thicker' in my upper chest at the mo, and last night I coughed up a small piece of white/beige hard stuff. It was very small and hard. Despite having a vapouriser on at night and being propped up with pillows, Im still coughing more when I wake up.

MM, do u mind me asking what happened with you? What were your symptoms etc? Ive read so much on the internet that's almost 'scaremongering' (thanks, Dr Google), and would just like a REAL version from a real person!

Thanks again all, I hope this goes away, I hate feeling like this and am so panicky x

chl_hobbs
18-10-12, 08:42
Hi guys,

Today it's actually getting worse. Last night I woke up coughing loads and with a thick whitish/yellow phlegm. Im feeling very hot and my chest hurts.. Im so scared I feel like it must be turning into pneumonia. I hate my body and I hate how weak I am.

Charlotte

MM
20-10-12, 23:15
Hi Charlotte, sorry for the late reply. You definitely do not have pneumonia nor will you, because you went to the doctor and got antibiotics, and the doctor would've heard something when listening to your lungs.

I have HA also, but I didn't when I had bronchitis, and I can honestly say that HA is a lot worse! HA can be a terrible thing, it really can.
I had bronchitis 4 years ago and basically it was a very very very annoying cough. I would be coughing pretty much nonstop all day, and this happened for a few weeks. The cough definitely sounded awful. I would wake up many times throughout the night coughing too. Honestly I could barely sleep. After given antibiotics, it got much better a few days later, but it still took a few weeks to settle down. I still had a high fever on and off for those few weeks too, and I coughed up greenish colored phlegm. I was also given an inhaler. My doctor wasn't worried at all and neither was I. It was basically an annoyance, and I wasn't worried about pneumonia because I was getting treated from the doctor. Now, since I have HA I completely understand what you're thinking, but I promise you you'll be okay. :)

Remember that with any sickness, mostly it gets worse before it gets better. Don't be alarmed if you feel a little worse at first. It's all normal.

Feel better! :hugs: