PDA

View Full Version : Well I do have chronic sinusitis, anyone else?

Jem27
08-08-06, 21:44
Had awful pain the last 2 days so had to go back today, my head was thumping even after taking neurofen

It was a dr I saw a few weeks back and he gave me co codamol for it. He examined me, listened to everything I had to say and didn't just put it down to anxiety like the other GP did. He went onto his pc and brought up a site and looked up chronic sinusitis, he printed off a factsheet for me which ive not read, dh has and told me basically what it was about but in a less scary way

I asked the DR about the risk of meningitis and chronic sinusitis, he said yes there is a risk but its sooooooooooooooooo rare and he has been a GP for 30 yrs and never ever seen or heard of it as being a complication. I even made doubly sure as I left that I had nothing to worry about to which he replied 'you won't get anything sinister from this'

He has given me a steroid spray which I have to use aswell as my antihistamine spray every day for a month then I have to come back, if there is improvement I will have to use it for 3 months if it hasn't helped I will then be refered to the ENT dept at our hospital. I asked him what they are likely to do, he said an x ray and then usually surgery to correct the problem. My worst fear besides meningitis is an op, the thought of going into theatre and being put to sleep scares me. I really hope it doesn't come to this.

THe dr is confident the spray will sort it all out. He didn't want to give me antibiotics as he said it doesn't help with sinusitis esp chronic. I am still abit anxious about it spreading to the brain, grrrrr but I do trust him, he was really good with me today

I have taken the spray and it says I should feel better within 2 days. I am dosed up on neurofen which is kind of helping.

I am going to my osteopath saturday aswell so im praying she helps abit more.

If anyone has been through chronic sinusitis id appreciate any advice, thanks

Ju xxx

evenflow
08-08-06, 23:30
hey ju, i am going through the sinusitis right now..its tough and difficult to get rid of..i've had it since october had 3 courses of antibiotics, the nasal spray, antihistamine, ent, ct scan and am still sorting it out...the goldenseal settles it but it comes back..i will be seeing the ent to chase up the ct scan results...an op may be necessary and isnt as invasive as it used to be..pm me if u need to talk
x

Kate Naomi
09-08-06, 13:06
Hi Ju,

I have also acute sinusitis, I think I have had it for about 2 months but the doctors kept saying it was the anxiety. Anyway they finally did an x-ray and I have been taking antibiotics for the past week and using the steroid spray. The steroid spray does help but the antibiotics have not cured me like I hoped they would!

I have also been using steam to help (inhaling over a bowl of hot water with a towel over your head!) sinusitis is horrible and it makes my throat feel so congested.

I think mine is caused by allergies. I know it sounds very odd but I have just met a lady who does reflexology and she says she has a 100% cure rate for sinusitis so I am going to give it a go!

Jem27
09-08-06, 20:41
Hi Kate,

Its awful isn't it, very annoying and can be very painful at times.

They say that anti bs dont do much for it at all but a steroid spray should help alot. Mine is helping already.

No its not odd, im seeing an osteopath at the weekend and im going to go to reflexology as I too have heard about the sucess rate, they can also help anxiety/panic and depression so im going to mention my anxiety too. Accupuncute aswell is supposed to be fantastic for sinusitis, im booked in for the 5th September, scared of needles but can't wait, hehe.

Jem xx

Mystie
09-08-06, 22:25
I have had sinus problems for 9 months, but without stuffy nose just drippy sometimes from the right side, also some blood sometimes. I had a CT scan, came back normal, no infection either. I have headaches and vision problems too. I give up since they tell me its nothing to worry about, I have a buzzy sound in my ear too.
Sounds like allergy? well my doctor has done nothing about it at all and doesn't seem to be worried.

Mystie

Jem27
10-08-06, 09:34
Sounds just like me Mystie, I have headaches down the back of my head everyday, vision can also be affected at times. I feel so tired and washed out with it.
Jem