PDA

View Full Version : Creativity 'closely entwined with mental illness'

Annie0904
17-10-12, 13:02
My son just sent me the link to this article. I thought some of you might be interested in reading it.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-19959565

Elle-Kay
17-10-12, 14:45
I read that last night Annie. Very interesting research, and something I've often wondered about myself (I enjoy creative activities as some of you know, and find relaxation & a sense of pride in creating something nice). Oddly though, I used to write (short stories mainly), but fell out of the habit when my anxiety started which seems to go against the research in the article (although I do wonder if self-confidence was the reason why I stopped writing in reality, rather than anxiety, as I was also being bullied at the same sort of time as I stopped).

Annie0904
17-10-12, 16:13
Actually I was thinking about you when I read it Elle-Kay and how talented you are. I wouldn't say I have any real creative talents although I have written some poetry. :) x

eight days a week
17-10-12, 21:27
fascinating, thanks so much for the link, I will have a good read now :)

fishman65
07-04-13, 20:43
I write a lot of poetry and use a regular site where many of the poets there have mental health problems.

In addition,St Andrews Psychiatric Hospital in Northampton (not a million miles from me) has a list of notable patients on its website.They are musicians/composers,authors,poets and artists.Not a politician in sight!! Coincidence? I don't think so.

Also,people who are right-side dominant in the brain tend to be emotional but also creative,these aspects are controlled by that side.But left-side dominant people tend to be logical and better with science/mathematics.

Annie0904
11-04-13, 11:19
I must be right-side dominant then as Math/Science are not my best subjects :)

Tish
11-04-13, 13:40
Hmm.. I'm deffo right side dominant, emotional, empathetic, creative, sensitive etc. Unfortunately, my hubby is the exact opposite which means we don't understand each other at all! I wish I could say we compliment each other but sadly, we don't.