PDA

View Full Version : What would you do?

meche
17-10-12, 13:23
When I was 18-19 I noticed a lump in my left boob (left side, half way down). Being young, naive and thinking I was invincible I didn't do a thing about it. Stupid eh - but I didn't worry about anything back then.
I'm 39 now and over the years the lump has come and gone. I can go for months or years and I can't feel it, then another month it might be there and hang around for a while then go again. It's not on the surface and you have to press down pretty hard to feel it - even then it can be difficult to locate. So anyway, I noticed the lump was back last week (it was also that time of the month) so as usual didn't worry about it.
So this week I'm going through a mild case of HA (I've had an issue with breathing which I'm getting under control and my doctor isn't concerned) but because I'm a bit hyped up, I'm starting to focus on this lump. It's never worried me before but suddenly I'm thinking 'what if'! I'm not having a panic attack about it and I'm not worried sick but I'm just more concious of it. I know I wouldn't have had breast cancer for over 20 years :doh:but part of me wants to make a doctor appointment for peace of mind. On the other hand I'm thinking why worry because it will go away again. By making an appointment about it, I then have to admit that there might be something wrong and I don't know how I would handle that. What would you do? xx

Annie0904
17-10-12, 13:33
It sounds like it maybe a harmless cyst since you have had it for son long but for your own peace of mind you could ask your doctor to check it just to reassure you. x

Tessar
17-10-12, 14:04
I agree with Annie, best get it checked out. Obviously I' not a trained doctor or anything but Cyst sounds like what you describe & it's better to know either way. You can get high dose evening primrose oil (GLA is the active ingredient) which can help things likes this and also provide relief from other cyclical problems such as PMT, cravings etc. Go for it.

meche
18-10-12, 09:45
Thank you ladies. I've got myself really worked up about it today and starting to look for symptoms. My left boob has always been more sensitive than my right but I'm reading into it more. I've had a problem with tightness in my left lung for the past few days and now I'm thinking what if the lump is so big it's putting pressure on my chest - maybe it's all connected :ohmy:! Have also been prodding in that area and under my arm so not sure if I've made it sore or if it really is sore! I'm trying to pluck up the courage to make an appointment but I'm petrified. xx

Annie0904
18-10-12, 09:49
I am so sure you will be fine...it has been there for so long now. Make the appointment and get the reassurance (and don't look for more symptoms :) )

Laura123
18-10-12, 09:53
Hi meche, I had a lump under my armpit at the side of breast tissue for years and noticed a few years ago it had gotten bigger like the size if a butter bean. Went and had it checked, they did ultrasound on it, it was just a fatty lump. The relief was immense, please go and get it checked for your own peace of mind, I seriously doubt after this long having it that it's anything other than cyst or fatty tissue but you will feel so much better if you get it checked. Xx

meche
18-10-12, 10:19
Thank you again ladies - I've been having a good old prod and the lump is actually bigger than I thought and quite deep down. It's actually more of a mass than a lump! I know I need to get it checked and I will make an appointment. xx

meche
18-10-12, 14:53
OK - it's taken all my courage but I have a doctor appointment tomorrow morning about this lump in my boob. You'd think I would feel better but I am crapping myself. Still, at least it's done! xx

Laura123
18-10-12, 14:54
Well done, you are doing the right thing, can't wait to read your post saying its fine :) x

meche
18-10-12, 15:20
Thank you Laura - it's going to seem a long wait until tomorrow. I've already diagnosed myself :unsure:!

Laura123
18-10-12, 15:24
Stop prodding, it makes it sore and then you panic thinking its sore, but you forget you poked and poked it and that's why it's sore lol that's what I did. It will be fine, try not to worry x

meche
18-10-12, 15:45
I know! I keep feeling it and I'm panicked by how big it actually is. God knows how long it's been like that. It's more of a mass than a lump! I'm convinced I've got pain in my underarm now but that might be anxiety. I'm due to start jury service next week and I really don't need any added stress. Phew - now breathe! xx

Granny Primark
18-10-12, 16:16
Oh meche I do feel for you.:hugs::hugs::hugs:
My daughter found a lump when she was pregnant.
We always think the worst dont we?
She had a biopsy done and thankfully it wasnt anything serious.
Im keeping my fingers, arms and legs crossed for you.:hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs:

meche
18-10-12, 16:24
Aw - thank you so much. SO glad your daughter got the all clear. You're right - we always think the worst. Nobody ever wants to find a lump because we always associate it with something bad. I guess in my favour, I've had it for so long (on/off for 20 years) that it could just be a cyst or fatty tissue. I wish I could go to the doctor right now because I'll be worrying all night. xx

Ats666
18-10-12, 16:56
Know exactly how you feel, it's not nice :hugs:

lo89
18-10-12, 18:30
I had a similar situation a few weeks ago - I found a solid immobile lump on my lower back, about 3cm all around, fairly deep in the muscle, I was convinced it was a tumour, to the point of trying to get my boyfriend to take me to a&e at midnight, and crying as he refused - I called NHS 24 who tried to calm me down, got absolutley no sleep all weekend as it was a Friday night I discovered the lump and my gp is closed all weekend, got an appointment for Monday morning and it turned out to be a lipoma! Didn't believe my gp so made my mums friend, who is also a gp, have a look ay it, and she agrees it is a lipoma! Yours could be something similar so try not to worry until you see a doctor x

Laura123
18-10-12, 18:36
Always happens on a Friday night doesn't it lol x

meche
18-10-12, 22:17
Thank you again guys. Ive been doing a bit of research (been very careful about it though) & the bottom line is that something Ive had on/off for 20 years is unlikely to be cancerous. Still want to get it checked though. Ive been up & down all night & just want tomorrow to come. Luckily I got a cancellation appt otherwise I would have to wait till next week. I would have gone over the edge. Also, start jury service next week - another stress! X

Tessar
19-10-12, 09:40
Will be waiting to hear how you got on, fingers crossed. I'm not surprised you've been up & down all night; glad too that you didnt have to wait till next week. i'd also be stressed in your situation especially as starting jury service. hope that goes ok too.