PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Essex :)

Siany
18-10-12, 02:06
Hi, my name's Sian, pronounced 'sharn' seeing as so many people seem to get it mixed up lol.

I'm not sure if I even have anxiety and if I should even be here although I feel like I do.

Ever since I was little it started off as anxiety about there being something wrong with me. Something internal that I couldn't see, like if a headache extended for 'longer than I thought was normal' I believed I had a brain tumour. It became a bit of a joke in my family, and everyone called me a hypochondriac. Which is probably true, but this has always been the case.

Since I have got older, my feelings of anxiety have seemed to get worse. The most common being irrational thoughts, which, I know are irrational but I can't stop them from happening. I have a very obsessive need to know my plans before I do them, so I am in control of a situation.

I feel anxious when I feel like I can't control a situation, be it my life, health, family, friends or boyfriend. More recently it has started to become apparent with travel too as I've been using trains and underground in London more frequently.

I also have irrational daydreams, such as if I'm walking down the stairs I'll have a vision of me falling and breaking my neck and dying, so it takes me far longer to get down the stairs.

I've only ever had two panic attacks and that was when I was 16. But I often feel an increase in heart rate or dizziness when I feel anxious.

I also suffer from Coulrophobia, the fear of clowns. Which has become increasingly worse as I've aged. I've never liked that, but now I cannot even bare to look at them without gagging or my heart race increasing. The worst peak was when I was in school and on red nose day, there was one coming near me, I had a panic attack and ended up crying in front of the whole school...

I'm not sure if I'm a sufferer of anxiety or not really, as I don't know a lot about it. I don't know if it comes in different forms etc. But I guess that's why I'm on here, to shed some light onto the situation and see if anyone knows of any ways of coping because sometimes my thoughts become unbearable.

But it's nice to introduce myself, and, I hope you've all had a lovely day.

Sian x

nomorepanic
18-10-12, 02:21
Hi Siany

We just wanted to welcome you aboard to NMP. We hope you enjoy your stay here and get all the support and advice you need.

Please take some time to read the website articles on the left as well for loads of advice and tips.

shannonwells830
18-10-12, 02:57
Hi Siany welcome to NMP! You are always welcome here. :)

ricardo
18-10-12, 05:17
Welcome Siany,
You have come to the right place.I have some similarities with you.We sometimes are impatient and border on being control freaks and hardly ever relax which is in our make up and can lead to anxiety.

Others may help you define what you feel better than I can.

paulst
18-10-12, 14:38
Hi Sian and welcome to the forum.:)

JoannaS
18-10-12, 15:06
Whoop whoop, another Essex lass! Welcome! I'm pretty new myself :D

fozzy is crying
18-10-12, 17:04
:welcome:
:bighug1::bighug1::bighug1::bighug1:

Sparkle1984
18-10-12, 20:04
Welcome to the forums Siany. :) I'm sure you'll find plenty of support here.

I can relate to having irrational thoughts and the feeling that they've got worse as I've got older. It was only in August that I plucked up the courage to seek help, as it was really getting me down. Like you, I feel anxious when I feel like I can't control a situation - in my most recent anxiety episode, which began in July, I had a fear about ageing, death and dying. Of course, no-one has any control over that, so it upset me a lot and made me anxious.

One of my best friends has a phobia of clowns. She says it dates back to an incident when she was a toddler - I can't remember exactly what it was, but it scared her to the extent that she's been frightened of clowns ever since. When we went to a new year's eve party last year, lots of people were in fancy dress and there was a man dressed up as a clown, which made my friend feel anxious so she kept trying to avoid seeing him. I think this phobia is a lot more common than people realise, as I've heard several other people mention it too.

Siany
19-10-12, 15:22
Hi Siany welcome to NMP! You are always welcome here. :)

Thank you! :)

---------- Post added at 15:17 ---------- Previous post was at 15:16 ----------

Welcome Siany,
You have come to the right place.I have some similarities with you.We sometimes are impatient and border on being control freaks and hardly ever relax which is in our make up and can lead to anxiety.

Others may help you define what you feel better than I can.

Yeah, that's exactly it, I'm horrendously impatient. We are very similar though. Thank you for taking the time to reply :)

---------- Post added at 15:18 ---------- Previous post was at 15:17 ----------

Hi Sian and welcome to the forum.:)

Thank you! :)

---------- Post added at 15:19 ---------- Previous post was at 15:18 ----------

Whoop whoop, another Essex lass! Welcome! I'm pretty new myself :D

Haha, representing Essex for the anxiety girls! Thank you though! I didn't even realise this website existed until I started to do some research :blush:

---------- Post added at 15:19 ---------- Previous post was at 15:19 ----------

:welcome:
:bighug1::bighug1::bighug1::bighug1:

Thank you! :):hugs:

---------- Post added at 15:22 ---------- Previous post was at 15:19 ----------

Welcome to the forums Siany. :) I'm sure you'll find plenty of support here.

I can relate to having irrational thoughts and the feeling that they've got worse as I've got older. It was only in August that I plucked up the courage to seek help, as it was really getting me down. Like you, I feel anxious when I feel like I can't control a situation - in my most recent anxiety episode, which began in July, I had a fear about ageing, death and dying. Of course, no-one has any control over that, so it upset me a lot and made me anxious.

One of my best friends has a phobia of clowns. She says it dates back to an incident when she was a toddler - I can't remember exactly what it was, but it scared her to the extent that she's been frightened of clowns ever since. When we went to a new year's eve party last year, lots of people were in fancy dress and there was a man dressed up as a clown, which made my friend feel anxious so she kept trying to avoid seeing him. I think this phobia is a lot more common than people realise, as I've heard several other people mention it too.

Thank you :) I hope so, and I also hope I can be of support to others too.

I can relate to that so much. I had an episode similar early this year in which it got quite bad and I could probably tell you a way you could die from every single thing in the world lol. I really feel for you.

Yeah I think it is quite a common phobia, but I know a lot of people that have also put it on, the same with any phobia, because they think it looks cute. (Not saying your friend does that btw! :D) But, that annoys me. Yeah, I avoid going anywhere where I know they'll be. That's why I never go to fancy dress parties. Drink x Phobia = Mess lol.