PDA

View Full Version : Anxiety trigger.......how to solve it

Aaron_southcoast
18-10-12, 17:26
Hi all,

Ive recently joined so please bear with me.

I started to suffer with panic attacks which developed into anxiety every day and now since the weekend irrational thoughts of harm toward my daughter.

She was born 6 months ago during a very stressful birth - my partner had 4 failed epidurals then a spinal headache which meant she couldnt get out of bed for 5 days.

I had my first panic attack whilst looking after her while my partner was out - it was her bedtime and she was crying just like any other baby would but for some reason I had a panic attack. Now I get anxious when I have to look after her even when my partner is home and the thoughts of harm are very distressing. I also think "this" is all caused by my daughter. Could my daughter be a trigger? If so I obviously cant run away from her so how do I overcome this?

My GP has prescribed propranalol and I started on 20mg citralopram this morning which has made me so sick all day. I think I will stop that as since 2009 ive been addicted to prescription painkillers, ive gone through a subsitute programme but maybe pyschologically I have a fear of taking more pills everyday.

Does anyone have any experience with CBT -could this benefit me?

thanks in advance,

Aaron

Annie0904
18-10-12, 17:36
Hi Aaron I do think CBT would be helpful to you, if you mention it to your doctor that should be able to refer you.

Aaron_southcoast
18-10-12, 17:43
Thanks Annie,

Im lucky enough to be in a position where my company will hopefully pay for the CBT privately- ive found a registered clinic near me and booked a session for the week after next. My HR rep from work is visiting me at home next week so I hope I get the ok.

The occupational health doctor my company referred me to recommended I would benefit from such treatment. I guess it all depends how much my company (wont name it but the largest water and wastewater service provider in the south - answers on a postcard please) values its employees.

x

Annie0904
18-10-12, 17:59
I got 5 counselling sessions paid for by my employers and they also paid for 5 physio sessions (fell off a ladder and fractured 2 metatarsals!). You are lucky The HR is visiting you at home..I had to struggle into work on crutches and in pain as well as suffering from anxiety to meet with mine.

Aaron_southcoast
18-10-12, 18:05
Ouch, did that happen whilst at work? I think its awful they made you struggle into your work on crutches. Unfortunately some companies view their employees just as numbers.

But back on subject, I do hope CBT can benefit me

Annie0904
18-10-12, 18:15
No I was painting my staircase at home. I am sure that CBT will help you if you get a good counsellor, it makes you think a lot more positive about things. I did read somewhere that men can suffer from postnatal depression just the same as women and I wonder if that may be affecting you? Maybe you could mention that when you see the counsellor. I hope the counselling works for you and you can overcome this soon.

Aaron_southcoast
18-10-12, 18:17
Excellent point re male postnatal depression - ill look into that.

Thanks Annie

Annie0904
18-10-12, 18:25
No problem Aaron, take care.

Paul H
18-10-12, 21:43
Hi there.

I'm sorry to read all that. It must be awful. Just be confident that those who seek help are those who will succeed in achieving their goal - even if the road is tough.

Don't be fixated on CBT simply because it's the NHS' therapy of choice. The NHS' preferences aren't based upon any evident superiority of CBT over other therapies.

Call a variety of therapists in your local area. Call a gestalt counsellor. Call a person centred counsellor. Call a psychodynamic therapist. Call a hypno-psychotherapist. Get a feel for their different approaches, ask questions regarding their qualifications and experience. See who seems a personal best-fit.

Research shows that it's the relationship between client and therapist, almost irrespective of theoretical approach, which is most important. Find a good therapist to whom you can best relate and go with that.

I hope that's helpful. I'm a hypno-psychotherapist and this is the advice I would give to anybody seeking therapy.

Best wishes

Paul

Aaron_southcoast
18-10-12, 22:16
Hi Paul,

Thank you for your reply. I certainly agree with your comments, especially the relationship aspect between counsellor and client.

Im pretty much searching every type of counsellor in my area at the moment to try and find someone.

Thanks again,

Aaron

Sparkle1984
18-10-12, 22:18
Yes I think CBT will be good for you. It's what I'm doing at the moment and I'm finding it useful.

Did the citalopram make you literally sick? It's normal to have side effects for the first few days - I felt nauseous but I was never actually sick. If you're worried about it, it may be best to speak to your doctor.

Aaron_southcoast
18-10-12, 22:21
Hi Sparkle, thanks for your reply.

Yes I was literally sick this morning then felt naseous until late this afternoon. Im not worried as its apparently very common, just very offputting and has made my made up to try the talking therapy route as opposed to medication.

Sparkle1984
18-10-12, 22:29
Sorry to hear that...if you can bear to stick it out for a few more days you may well start to see an improvement. It could be worth it in the end. I'm having both medication and therapy at the same time, but it's up to you.

Aaron_southcoast
18-10-12, 23:30
Unfortunately with my baby to look after I dont want to take the risk of another day not being able to move. Do I sound abit dramatic? Im a grown man and im moaning about being sick lol