PDA

View Full Version : low ferritin

susan1963
20-10-12, 12:07
hi ive suffered with itchy rash for nearly 2 years almost constant, and where ive been itching so much, its made my skin sensative, and when i scratch i get small lumps come up and burning, anyway, back in 2010 i started off with itchy arms, with no rash, i went to see gp and they ran blood tests and said my results were ok apart from one, low ferritin it was 0.2 which is extremely low, so i was put on iron tablets and the itching went, after a few weeks,had a repeat blood test and the ferritin returned to normal, anyway the itching is gradually getting worse again esp my arms and gp said they cant do another blood test until the end of november why i dont know, in the meantime i have to suffer with this bloody itching skin, which is causing me loads of stress/anxiety,in turn has elevated my stomach probs like acid reflux/integestion ect...... ive had tests for coliac, thyroid, liver kidneys ect all fine apart from low ferritin and folic acid, does everyone think theres a connection between low ferritin,folic acid, also ive had bouts of breathlesness, continous palpitations, and and for the last few years i had a compulsion for eating ice, thankfully that compulsion has subsided, i think theres a strong connection with all my symptoms over the last few years, what does everyone else think

Angelai
20-10-12, 12:37
Hi, I don't know if there is any proven link between these deficiencies and what you are suffering, but - I have suffered anxiety and depression for YEARS and my iron and folate are always low...

While you wait for your blood test, you could try eating fortified cereal everyday (kellogs cornflake/rice krispies etc, it says on the box which ones are fortified) for a little iron boost, and marmite is great for folate. Or, a good multivitamin?

Just a note - there is no point in taking iron tablets without folate if that's low too as well, your body will need the folate to help absorb the iron.

x

PanchoGoz
20-10-12, 13:31
I would suggest an iron tonic...they taste really nice and have lots of ferritin and whatever else you need. I wish I could remember the name of the one I had, it had carrots and blackcrrents in it. So tastey. Strengthens you up against the anxiety.
I didn't know those deficiencies make you itch...I find showering makes me itchy though. Baths are much better for the skin.

susan1963
20-10-12, 14:51
thanks for replying both, i know you can get itchy rash from low ferritin/iron cause gp and dermotologist told me..... the thing is ill get treated for it the levels go back up, then gradually go down again, my immune system is outa zinc because of it.... drs peeing me off because hes saying i cant be tested again till the end of nov... ill get treatment again and my itching will subside until i stop treatment and then it will go back down again.... the dermotologist said that my ferritin needs to be at least 300 to stop the agrivating itch and other symptoms ive been getting so what the heck can i do :)

---------- Post added at 14:51 ---------- Previous post was at 14:46 ----------

hi angela, thanks for the info but when i have treatment with iron, my folic acid level does go down and i usually have to take both supplements..my point is where my immune system is taking a battering every time it goes up and down its causing the itching, breathless, heartburn, palpitations and thats caused from low iron