PDA

View Full Version : Can't go on like this

musiclover
21-10-12, 11:45
It's been over two months since I felt a positive emotion such as happiness, joy, excitement and love. I have seen a psychiatrist who is referring me to psychological services. I am on sertraline 150mg and this happened following a counselling session. I need my emotions back, life is so boring, I am scared I will never get my feelings back. I want to feel the love for my family, I'm scared I won't be able to have children as I won't be able to feel happy or the love for them. I don't know if it's the meds but i have been on sertraline for years although on 150mg for a year. It's not much to ask to had my emotions and appetite back :(

Tufty
21-10-12, 13:53
It's not nice not to feel things, I've had brief episodes when I've not been able to feel emotions and it was scary. I found I used to question myself alot like you are - why, what if and when, I don't think that helps as it just increases tension and stress which could be the reason you've shut down these emotions. It's good that you are in the process of accessing more support, I'm sure they'll be able to guide you through this difficult time.
Just remember that it is just that - a difficult time, it will pass as these times always do. Try not to question it or find reasons, accept that's the way things are at the moment but don't give up on doing things just for enjoyment or excitement, even if you can't feel the emotions - keep doing things anyway and one day soon you'll notice a glimmer of the old you there.
Take care
Sam

musiclover
21-10-12, 14:33
Thank you for your reply, are you on meds? Do you think the meds have contributed to this?

Tufty
21-10-12, 14:46
I'm on Prozac - have been for 9 years more on than off but low dose - like most anxiety sufferers I don't tolerate the meds very well. I don't know if the Prozac makes it worse or better, I think better but they do numb some other feelings and I seem to care less about stuff but am generally happier on them than off them.
Thinking about it properly, I'm not a very emotional person, I hold it all inside and don't cry easily, but I think I feel more love and happiness when I'm on them.

---------- Post added at 14:46 ---------- Previous post was at 14:46 ----------

I cope better with change and drama when on them - that's for sure