PDA

View Full Version : abdominal pain

butterflygirl51288
21-10-12, 15:49
i was raped 10days ago which was unprotected, i got the morning after pill which i took straight away but the last few days ive had really bad abdominal pain which started just below my belly button and has spread to both sides.

im so scared that i have caught something. to start with i thought it was just period pains but im not due for another week and i am Never early.

what is the likelihood of this being an sti and how soon would you show symptoms? im so scared its gonna be something nasty like hiv or hepatitis??

Tufty
21-10-12, 16:49
I'm really sorry to hear you were sexually assaulted, please access your local sexual health clinic tomorrow to be checked out.
If you don't know where it is - search the internet the BASHH website holds the details of all the clinics, most of them have their own website with the opening times on.
Most clinics have a walk in session that you do not need to book, if they don't please phone the clinic tomorrow and ask to speak to a health advisor urgently, they will arrange to see you tomorrow.
You can give a false name, address and date of birth to the clinic - to ensure you remain anonymous however give them your correct mobile contact number. Sexual health clinics do not search for your NHS number or try to identify you in any way, they do not use hospital notes and do not contact your GP unless you ask them to.
If you are under 16 they will not tell your parents of anyone else about your visit unless they are concerned about your ongoing safety.
They will recommend you inform the police, but will not demand you do so.
They will ask you some questions and depending on the severity of pain may want to examine you internally, however they prefer not to after a sexual assault. You can refuse to be examined if you find it too daunting and uncomfortable.
You will be offered some antibiotics straight away to treat Chlamydia and Gonorrhea, without waiting for the results of any tests, even if they don't examine you - it's the standard treatment following a sexual assault.
Abdominal pain is not an indication of HIV or hepatitis, however they would encourage you to have a blood test to test for these and I would recommend you commence a Hepatitis B vaccination course - this will offer you some protection against the virus.
Your symptoms could be period pains, the morning after pill can make your next period early or late and more painful so it could be due to that, but in view of what happened I would go get those antibiotics just to make sure it isn't anything else.
The clinic can also put you in touch with SARC service, a counselling and support organisation for those who have been sexually assaulted, you could refer yourself to them yourself if you want.
The clinic will give you any medication free of charge and can reimburse your travel if you are in financial hardship.
Please just visit the clinic tomorrow and get yourself covered, you did the right thing taking the morning after pill but this will continue to pray on your mind until you've been and got the treatment.
Take Care
Sam

Laura123
21-10-12, 17:41
Butterfly I am so sorry this happened to you, how are you, are you getting support from anyone? X

butterflygirl51288
29-10-12, 20:29
well here i am a week later, still no period but at least the pain has settled mostly. i didnt go to the clinic i was too embarrased, dont really know what to do. if i havent got my period soom im gonna have to be a pregnancy test which is really scareing me the thought that i might be pregnant would normally really please me, i just wish it was under better circumstances :S