PDA

View Full Version : Panicking about chemicals, is anyone else like this?

Nighttime pacer
21-10-12, 23:46
Hi all
For quite a long time now I've been obsessed with worrying about chemicals in furniture and toiletries and paints. I'm seeing a therapist who's helping a bit.
I know this makes me sound stupid but tonight I was using a sealer to seal up the little holes inside the kitchen cupboards which are there in case you want to move shelves up and down. The cupboards are lacquered mdf and I was so worried about the mdf off gassing through the holes. Now I'm worried about the off gassing of the sealer, though it says it's low voc and I assume it will cure and go hard in about a day.
I've also recently bought completely natural furniture polish as I was so worried about chemicals in the wax polish I had before.
Is anyone else like me? I'm worried that I'm going mad and soon won't be able to function at all.
I wonder whether I should start antidepressants. MY doc thinks they may help but I'm scared of the side effects.
Thanks for reading.
Nighttime pacer

mbXC393
22-10-12, 12:51
household cleaning products have to go through years and years of testing before they can be put on the public market. You need to think of this when you start worrying about their effects. If you're using anything particularly strong just do so in a well ventilated area.

justina
22-10-12, 12:55
I am a bit like you, it comes and goes though. Lately I have started worrying about the fact that I live near to an airport...I read a comment somewhere by a person (not a doctor or a researcher or anything) who said that it causes a lot of illnesses...so I freaked out...then I googled some "scientific" information and I calmed down a bit. But I'm still not completely calm about it.

Chemicals are tested before they can start to sell them, I mean the products containing them are, so I don't think that is too dangerous.