PDA

View Full Version : SCARED OF HAVING EVERY ILLNESS GOING

langlim
09-08-06, 18:40
hi all,

i am new to this website, and what a great thing it is, I have felt very alone thinking its "only me" suffering with this.

I think the main cause of my health anxiety was the death of my dad 6 years ago from cancer. I was 20 at the time. I have always been a bit of a worrier anyway and for the past few years tried to get on with my life and put negative thoughts to the back of my mind, I had always been a strong person.

In the past 2 years I have had so many knocks, which has now left me suffering with Health Anxiety and Panic attacks.

Every ache, pain I automatically assume I have cancer or heart disease or I'm going to die, I've been keeping a diary and looking over the past year I have had practically every disease going. If I was to get a headache I wouldn't just think its a headache, I would think the worst like its a brain tumour, or pain in my chest I think I've got heart disease, i sit on the internet looking up symptoms, after reading the symptoms I kinda think myself into having them more.

I have also now got a fear of medication, I'm too scared to take a paracetamol or anything like that, even to the point of not even being able to take a vitamin tablet, I think they are going to kill me.

I eat well, but am starting to worry about what i eat now and whether its certain foods triggering off my anxiety?

I was reffered by my doc last wk to a lady who assessed me she said she is going to put me forward for 2 sessions of Anxiety management and 4 sessions of councilling, she drew a kind of spider graph of how your mind works and how we can stop the negative thoughts etc, seeing it on paper kinda made sense. I just hope it works.

It would be good to hear from anyone else who suffers the same above. I hate feeling alone I don't know anyone who has had this,

Laura

jackie
09-08-06, 18:46
add me to the list of sufferers , you are not alone and i just hope your therapy works

just started some treatment myself and im getting breathing work done too .i think you might benefit from this too as many of our symptoms are breathing related

glad you found the site

take care

jackie

hunny
09-08-06, 21:36
Hi

I can totally relate to what you ae saying.I have had every illness going and especially now im terrified about my heart
Its really good that you have been referred for anxiety management,i have too.I hope it works for you,ive heard good things about it

Love
Hunny x

nomorepanic
09-08-06, 21:47
Ask for CBT

It is the best treatment for HA

You can get over it - you just need help.

Nicola

mandie
10-08-06, 12:32
Hi Laura

I am a sufferer of medical anxiety. Like you i worry about every symptom going, and cant have anything without imagining its life threatening.

I was put on a low dose medication for my anxiety and also referred for counselling. The medication has really helped but the counseller said he was unable to help me at this time.

I think i might ask for CBT, its seems to be helping alot of people on this site.

Take care

love mandie x

Pen
10-08-06, 13:26
Hi Laura

I have suffered with health anxiety and have been unable to take medication following an allergic reation to a prescribed medication earlier this year. I am now able to take vitamans again and paracetamol - I talked myself into the fact they haddn't caused me any problems in the past so why would they now?

The best advice I was given was to read the books by Claire Weekes on Self Help for your Nerves or Essential Help for you Nerves. For me they were a complete life saver, it was as though they were written about me and have helped me to recover to where I am today.

Good luck, i'm sure things will get better with time, i'm living proof!

Pen xx

langlim
10-08-06, 14:15
thank you all for your kind words, I just hope the therapy works!

I go for my 1st session on the 15th Aug - fingers crossed. I hope I can be on here in a years time telling you all that I'm better xx

xena
10-08-06, 21:11
I am so glad i have found this forum[8D]
I suffer from health anxiety, especially cancer, hiv, brain haemorrages
My main problem is scouring the internet for symptoms (my GP as seriously advised me not to do this anymore)
I bang my head as you do sometimes by accident on a shelf or similar and i am convinced i am gonna get a brain haemmorage[V]
It changes though week by week or month by month, sometimes cancer sometimes hiv[}:)]
I am taking 20mg Citalopram daily

OCD and HEALTH ANXIETY SUFFERER

pinkpenny1uk
11-08-06, 15:30
hiya,
this site and everyone on here has helped me alot as i sure they will u too.
i am a health anxiety sufferer to and i imagine i have alsorts wrong with me. the latest being cancer. my gp has been really good tho and has done me blood tests which have all come back normal.
i too go for councilling and am on 20mg citalopram.
my biggest problem has been googling which i know def does not help and with my partners help i am slowley getting past that.
u are not alone, and i have found it a big help coming on this site for the support and encouragment i get.

i hope u will slowley start to feel better, in knowing that help is always there.

all the best to u
pp

cuteliljocey
12-08-06, 18:13
HI lang! !st off welcome to the group and forum. I am sure you will find lots of helpful tools and amazing people here with Anxiety just as you do...

I know the feeling of how you feel and just want to be another person to tell you that your not alone. Perhaps you should try some medication that will help with your anxiety. I like you also have a hard time takeing medication the 1st weeks was the wrost when they started me on Zoloft but after that life seems to become much better with less anxiety. I wish you the best of luck be sure to keep us all updated. Alo you may want to look up a book called "its no all in your head" you can search for it on www.amazon.com great book very helpful. Sorry about your father. Take care!